Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2018 11:53:31 AM EDT
This is a ballistics for dummies question with me being the idiot. How will a 20 mph wind from the WNW affect this bullet when I'm shooting from the west and using a 16 inch barrel at 100 yards.  I'd like to know how far "off" of center will the bullet go?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This is a ballistics for dummies question with me being the idiot. How will a 20 mph wind from the WNW affect this bullet when I'm shooting from the west and using a 16 inch barrel at 100 yards.  I'd like to know how far "off" of center will the bullet go?
View Quote
If you estimate around 2200-2250 fps for the round with a .33 ballistic co-efficient, any calculator can spit out a result that will estimate whatever windage parameters you set. I prefer JBM ballistics.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you estimate around 2200-2250 fps for the round with a .33 ballistic co-efficient, any calculator can spit out a result that will estimate whatever windage parameters you set. I prefer JBM ballistics.
View Quote
You're talking to a bonified ballistics  and math idiot (me) who never made it out of "math for dummies" class in high school/college. How far "off" of center .300 blk bullet be if shooting in a 20 mph wind?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're talking to a bonified ballistics  and math idiot (me) who never made it out of "math for dummies" class in high school/college. How far "off" of center .300 blk bullet be if shooting in a 20 mph wind?
View Quote
You don’t need to be doing these calculations yourself, I have no idea how to do that either. Download an app, or visit a website calculator, and input the values. I like iSnipe as a good value app on my iPhone, but there are several I’ve used and that work well.

ETA: I used the aforementioned app and their stock data for 123gr Remington MC (they didn’t have magtech, and I don’t know how accurate Remington’s stated values are, so YMMV and all that). Assuming a 100yd zero with no wind, @200yd w/ full value 20mph wind, it reads 13.7” or 1.9 mils.

Download an app, they’re pretty intuitive and easy to use.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top