BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2019 11:30:50 PM EDT
Why are they going so high in the EE? I might have to dig into my stash
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
My guess is people prefer the way they look because its more like the classic 20-round magazine, but Magpul only make curved 20's now because an anti-tilt follower in a straight magazine doesn't really work.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea! Market will decide. If they sell at that price, then sell them! I've picked them up for $20 used.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Because people just gotta have anything that 'they don't make anymore '.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s insane.

The gen 3 20 rounders are infinitely better.

Better polymer and takes a standard USGI 30 round spring.

I have a few I may have to trade into gen 3 20s if they’re going for insane prices.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I loved these and bought them when the retailers couldn't get rid of them for free.  Sold them in the craze high enough to pay loans off (still less than retailers at the time!).  Discontinued since.  Supply and demand.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a few, I do like them.

Just like anything else they don’t make anymore - price goes up driven by demand.

US Palm AK grips same thing until they started making them again!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why are they going so high in the EE? I might have to dig into my stash
View Quote
How much are they going for?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
People like the look, and they are no longer made.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The straight look has a certain classic look for the AR that the slightly curved newer mags do not have.  I have a few of them. I like them. I will admit to not looking in the EE. Kind of like the odd colors. There is a market
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The straight look has a certain classic look for the AR that the slightly curved newer mags do not have.  I have a few of them. I like them. I will admit to not looking in the EE. Kind of like the odd colors. There is a market
View Quote
Pmags don't have a classic look.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Magpul didn't "improve" the 20 round mag design, it was fine the way it was.

What they did was make it use the same parts as the 30, which meant it had to be curved to accommodate the M3 follower.

The straight 20 didn't have an "anti-tilt" follower because it didn't need one. It had it's own distinct follower, that was never interchangeable with any of the 30s.

IMHO the smart thing to do would have been to use the new polymer and leave the design alone.

But what do I know?
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How much are they going for?
View Quote
Inquiring minds with 20 rounders want to know...  
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure what they're actually selling for, but I've seen them listed for over $50/each....

ETA:  there are some listed at $75/each
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Think the straights are CMP legal and the curved are not.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I like using the various colors of PMAGs to denote various types of ammo (black = 55 gr M193, foliage = 62 gr M855, FDE = Hornady 75gr SBR). Twenty round mags are easier to shoot off a bench, so I like having the colored 20-round PMAGs.

The prices people are currently asking, however, are ridiculous. The mags are nice, but they're not that special.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Hahaha, the people asking $50+/pop are absolute thieves, and the people buying at that price are absolute morons!

I prefer how they look, but no way I'm paying AI mag prices when I can find a brand new mag that works just as well for nearly 1/5 the price!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Hahaha, the people asking $50+/pop are absolute theives
View Quote
Why do you hate capitalism??
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why do you hate capitalism??
View Quote
I don't. If I did, I'd try to suppress them. Instead, I'm just pointing my finger and name calling, and I'll choose to avoid those sales (my choice as a consumer in a capitalist society). Thieves and idiots can still exist amidst capitalism...
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Magpul didn't "improve" the 20 round mag design, it was fine the way it was.

What they did was make it use the same parts as the 30, which meant it had to be curved to accommodate the M3 follower.

The straight 20 didn't have an "anti-tilt" follower because it didn't need one. It had it's own distinct follower, that was never interchangeable with any of the 30s.

IMHO the smart thing to do would have been to use the new polymer and leave the design alone.

But what do I know?
View Quote
Iv never had any issues with any pmag, but the straight 20's. They are known for not locking the bolt back on the last round.
They dont have a anti-tilt follower so the back of the follower
Wont push the bolt catch up.
Add a B.A.D. lever and I was at nearly 0% bolt hold opened.
The 30s never had a issue
Eventually I took the BAD lever off and tossed it on a box and the bolt hold opened issue was only at 20%.
I only have 1 straight 20, and its turned into a empty mag at the bottom of my shooting bag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It’s insane.

The gen 3 20 rounders are infinitely better.

Better polymer and takes a standard USGI 30 round spring.

I have a few I may have to trade into gen 3 20s if they’re going for insane prices.
View Quote
Weighing almost as much as a 30 isn't "infinitely better".

The new curved 20s are a lot longer than the old straights as well, making them less handy.

If it is almost the same length and weight as a 30, why would I even want a 20?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hahaha, the people asking $50+/pop are absolute theives, and the people buying at that price are absolute morons!

I prefer how they look, but no way I'm paying AI mag prices when I can find a brand new mag that works just as well for nearly 1/5 the price!
View Quote
You’re a thief if you sell something to someone for what they’re willing to pay?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Guys, I've stated my OPINION. I'm entitled to it, and you can't change it. Don't like it? Too bad, move on. I owe an explanation of my opinion to no one. People who price gouge during floods/gas shortages/whatever are in the same camp. Or maybe the guys who, the day Browning quit production of the Hi-Power, tacked on an extra $500 because now they're "hard to find."

OR!!! Maybe some of you guys complaining about my opinion are scalping these straight 20s and my comment hit a little too close to home...?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Or you're trolling in a tech forum.  The price for a discontinued item is what the market determines.  I like em, have a few I picked up cheap, not selling.  In an undergassed gun, they don't feed as well as a Gen 2.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guys, I've stated my OPINION. I'm entitled to it, and you can't change it. Don't like it? Too bad, move on. I owe an explanation of my opinion to no one. People who price gouge during floods/gas shortages/whatever are in the same camp. Or maybe the guys who, the day Browning quit production of the Hi-Power, tacked on an extra $500 because now they're "hard to find."

OR!!! Maybe some of you guys complaining about my opinion are scalping these straight 20s and my comment hit a little too close to home...?
View Quote
You’re on a forum.  While you may be entitled to your opinion, the rest of us are entitled to ridicule said opinion should we want to.

As for the actual content of your opinion, when production decreases and supply dwindles, prices necessarily go up, especially if whatever product we’re discussing is desirable for one reason or another.  This applies to pretty much everything, whether it be firearms and accessories, motor vehicles, whatever.  You must be super pissed at all those “thieves” selling M1 Garands for more than a couple hundred bucks, too.

That is why people are ridiculing your “opinion”, because it’s born of ignorance and has no basis in reality.

If you have a problem with that being pointed out, you’re well within your right to not click on this thread anymore.  

ETA:  To keep it somewhat technical, I’ve only got a few Gen 2 20 rounders, but they all seem to work well.  If there’s that large of a market for them, I may have to think about either trading them for other mags or just selling them outright.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#25]
All in good fun, guys. Not trolling, just calling it like I see it, that's all. We don't have to agree, and I'm fine with that, as I am with you poking fun of my opinion. This is a two way road, afterall! I wouldn't be on ARF if I had thin skin! I also don't claim to be an expert of economics, so I at leaat acknowledge my inferiority in that area. As Steve Martin would say, "I'm just some guy!"

Anywho, back to the somewhat-technical aspect of things, I do get how the law of supply and demand works. However, I feel Garand prices are what they are because of decades of time without current production and a dwindling supply due to natural degradation through use. The MagPul straights (again, I feel) have had their price driven up somewhat artificially (meaning their price is abnormally high for how little time has passed, relatively speaking). But people will apparently pay those prices, so they'll remain at stupid high levels until people won't. C'est la vie!
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Huh. I have 4 of these barely used.  I've never had problems with them.  Didn't know they were a desirable item.  Might be worth selling to fund stacking other magazines deeper.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All in good fun, guys. Not trolling, just calling it like I see it, that's all. We don't have to agree, and I'm fine with that, as I am with you poking fun of my opinion. This is a two way road, afterall! I wouldn't be on ARF if I had thin skin! I also don't claim to be an expert of economics, so I at leaat acknowledge my inferiority in that area. As Steve Martin would say, "I'm just some guy!"

Anywho, back to the somewhat-technical aspect of things, I do get how the law of supply and demand works. However, I feel Garand prices are what they are because of decades of time without current production and a dwindling supply due to natural degradation through use. The MagPul straights (again, I feel) have had their price driven up somewhat artificially (meaning their price is abnormally high for how little time has passed, relatively speaking). But people will apparently pay those prices, so they'll remain at stupid high levels until people won't. C'est la vie!
View Quote
Why do people pay 25k for a M16 when new ones are $1200?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:. Why do people pay 25k for a M16 when new ones are $1200?
View Quote
Because Democrats.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why do people pay 25k for a M16 when new ones are $1200?
View Quote
Because as a private citizen, you can’t get them, or anything like unto it, anymore.

Sure, the straight 20s are harder to find (or maybe not, there’s a metric crap ton of them on the EE right now!), but the curved 20s are a suitable replacement. There is no suitable (legal) replacement for a Class III M16. Your analogy is a poor one, IMO.

ETA: Nice avatar. I’ve been to Hell, seen the sign, and it does, indeed, freeze over. The ice cream shop there is amazing, too!
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because Democrats.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. Why do people pay 25k for a M16 when new ones are $1200?
Because Democrats.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:51:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because Democrats.
View Quote
True, but also Republicans too. Let's not forget that it was the FOPA with the Hughes Amendment attached that outlawed new machine guns, and that was signed by Geroge H. W. Bush, with the support of the NRA! "Freedom's safest place", my ass!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  True, but also Republicans too. Let's not forget that it was the FOPA with the Hughes Amendment attached that outlawed new machine guns, and that was signed by Geroge H. W. Bush, with the support of the NRA! "Freedom's safest place", my ass!
View Quote
Fuck GHWB to be sure for the 89 import ban, but FOPA was signed by Ronald Reagan in 86.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I was on Numrich looking for barrels and found these. Anyone know if they can be unblocked? 15-round Pmags that look like the straight 20's.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1727600
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought three cases of them in January 2013 for 9.99 each. One of the best moves I ever made, should have bought twenty cases.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I bought three cases of them in January 2013 for 9.99 each. One of the best moves I ever made, should have bought twenty cases.
View Quote
Can the block be removed to bring them back up to 20rnds?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top