Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2021 5:19:09 PM EDT
I have some mags that have been loaded for literally years in my safe, then I have 4-5 that have been with me since the beginning that have seen endless use that go to the range every trip.

Has anyone actually reached a point where the springs needed replacing?

I know "ideally" you rotate your mags for the sake of the ammo and springs but I don't (other than my carry pistol mags)
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No need to rotate or replace anything. The springs will last longer than the mags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You are actually causing wear by “rotating” your mags. So no it’s not ideal, just leave them loaded.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a set of range mags that I have been using for many many years, ten 20 round Pmags, six Lancer 20 round mags (not as old as the Pmags) and they function still like new.

Like someone said above, cycling wears springs our, not long term static loads.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There have been more than a couple reports on the net of Pmag feed lips cracking after long periods of time being loaded. The springs should be completely fine.

I doubt it's something to get worked up over but I only leave my aluminum mags loaded for long periods.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There have been more than a couple reports on the net of Pmag feed lips cracking after long periods of time being loaded. The springs should be completely fine.

I doubt it's something to get worked up over but I only leave my aluminum mags loaded for long periods.
View Quote

I just learned thats what the dust covers are for lol, I used to just throw the in a drawer or in the trash, but I just tried one and they actually push that top round down a few mm to take the pressure off
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Good thing about a Pmag is that you use the spring in an d gi mag if you need to
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:47:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They do take the pressure off of the very top of the feed lips, but according to Magpul themselves that is not what the dust covers are for. I don’t know if that is them not wanting to admit to a fault with polymer stress over time, or if 100 percent transparent. But I do know that is their official stance on their dust covers.
View Quote

Considering the only downside I've heard is the feel lips cracking (and thats literally the first time I heard that) and the dustcover does take the pressure off it seems good for me (especially after putting one).
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
MAGPUL PMAG - Loaded With Ammo for 12 Years TEST! (No Dust/Impact Cover)
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Well, there you have it.

Gen 1 = Gen 2. = Gen 3.

Whats the big difference between them again?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#11]
My objection to Pmags is that if they get abused, like really heated up in a class or something, they tend to crack along the spine.  People argue that at least they fail catastrophically and let you know when it's time to trash them.  GI mags may be damaged but not red flag  you that they're bad.  Still, I'm old school and I mistrust polymer for long term durability.  There are aluminum mags that are decades old and still functioning even though they have been in use.  I don't know that we can say the same about Pmags.  (Loaded but in storage doesn't count as "in use" as far as I'm concerned).
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve seen my fair share of cracked Pmags but don’t think they were from heat.  

I don’t recall seeing a black Gen2 crack and the only Gen3s I’ve seen crack have been 40 rounders, many with extensions, that get dropped a lot in competition.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]
The compression from loading and shooting causes spring issues.  Constantly loaded is not an issue with good quality parts
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have never experienced this with gen2.  And yes, plenty of use cases for it to have happened if it would
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have never experienced this with gen2.  And yes, plenty of use cases for it to have happened if it would
View Quote

I've never had it happen. It has happened to people with the colored Gen 2 mags more than once that I've seen on various forums.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, there you have it.

Gen 1 = Gen 2. = Gen 3.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, there you have it.

Gen 1 = Gen 2. = Gen 3.

LINK
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Technically yes, springs will lose tension when left compressed.  This phenomenon is known as "creep":
https://idcspring.com/spring-lose-tension-when-compressed/

With that said, the actual amount of creep that occurs is so small, that you can safely ignore it:

if all metals creep (and springs do too), then how long before the spring in a fully loaded a magazine is significantly softer? For 316 stainless steel at high temperature (~550C) you can expect a 1% plastic deformation (1% is a commonly used failure criteria) from a reasonably medium-high constant stress (160MPa) after a little over a year (actually 10,000 hours). Since the creep is exponentially dependent on temperature through an Arrhenius relationship to activation energy of the creep mechanism, at room temperature you can expect this length of time to be a factor of about 1018 longer (that’s about 3.7 million trillion years, I think). So, I think it’s safe to say that creep isn’t softening your magazine springs.
View Quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/sfyv8/do_springs_lose_their_springiness_when_left/
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top