Did the gen 1 come with dust covers?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thanks.
View Quote

Unsure if they came with them but they had covers for them. Would not snap onto bottom of mags.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unsure if they came with them but they had covers for them. Would not snap onto bottom of mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

Hey Tig, which gen do the covers snap onto the base?

ETA. I'm 95% sure the gen 1 pmags had covers but did not snap onto the base.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

IIRC, only the M2s snap onto mag base.

(Not a lot of Pmag knowledge admittedly, USGI are my preferred).
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

IIRC, only the M2s snap onto mag base.

(Not a lot of Pmag knowledge admittedly, USGI are my preferred).
View Quote

Okay, thanks.??
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I knew you'd be the first to answer.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I knew you'd be the first to answer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just wodered cause I opened up a box and seen I have some...they all have dust cover and the cardboard backing and didnt see anywhere  (GEN 2 MAGS) on the backing.
So if they are gen 1's any known issues?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright tig...just looked since ya told me about the gen 1 covers NOT fitting on the base plate. I do have some gen 1s.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Alright tig...just looked since ya told me about the gen 1 covers NOT fitting on the base plate. I do have some gen 1s.
View Quote

Should have black followers. '07-'08 M2s came out, IIRC. Mags will have a date code.

I've got 1 someplace, haven't had an issue. Don't use Pmags much anymore.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks tig!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks tig!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Tooly, here's a Gen 1 PMAG still sealed in the wrapper with dust cover installed:

Attachment Attached File

Here's a comparison between the Gen 1 (top) and Gen 2 (bottom) covers. Aside from the differences in the label on top and the texture, if you look at the "claw" on the front of the cover, the one on the Gen 2 is a little longer, and the Gen 2 cover itself is slightly longer overall:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here's what the Gen 2 covers looked like in the bag when first sold separately. I just found these at a show a couple months ago to go with the FDE M2s that I picked up around the same time. Later on, they switched to the standard Magpul cardboard backing with the covers in a plastic bag stapled to it, if I recall correctly:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I just opened a bunch of what-I-think are gen 1 PMAGS that I bought during the 2013 panic.  They didn't say "Gen whatever" on the packaging, so I'm assuming they were gen 1.  They had dust covers with them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Per Magpul:

We stopped making Gen 1's in 2008 so any marked after that are MRevs or M2 (MOE). MRevs are the most common mag out there and the most widely fielded polymer magazine in US combat history. In Iraq and Afghanistan the PMag out numbered all other Polymer magazines fielded, combined, by a large margin. M Rev included the NSN numbered/marked magazines that are only available in Black (windowed and non windowed) 

M2/MOE Mags are MRev mags that use the newer material and processing. (this change over happened about 9 months ago). 

EMags were the first PMag variant designed for the HK 416/SA80A2 mag well but could be used in the AR15/M16 (Gen 1s had one window, Gen 2- Made for the UK 2010 SA80A2 contract had 2 windows) 

M3 is a combination of the EMag and PMag technologies and updated material and processes. M3 mags are marked M3 and usually has the gird pattern at the base of the magazine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tooly, here's a Gen 1 PMAG still sealed in the wrapper with dust cover installed:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/New_Gen_1_PMAG_JPG-1362627.JPG

Here's a comparison between the Gen 1 (top) and Gen 2 (bottom) covers. Aside from the differences in the label on top and the texture, if you look at the "claw" on the front of the cover, the one on the Gen 2 is a little longer, and the Gen 2 cover itself is slightly longer overall:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Gen_1_vs_Gen_2_Cover_Top_JPG-1362630.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Gen_1_vs_Gen_2_Cover_Bottom_JPG-1362633.JPG

Here's what the Gen 2 covers looked like in the bag when first sold separately. I just found these at a show a couple months ago to go with the FDE M2s that I picked up around the same time. Later on, they switched to the standard Magpul cardboard backing with the covers in a plastic bag stapled to it, if I recall correctly:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/New_Gen_2_Covers_JPG-1362641.JPG
View Quote

Yup....I have some gen 1s. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just opened a bunch of what-I-think are gen 1 PMAGS that I bought during the 2013 panic.  They didn't say "Gen whatever" on the packaging, so I'm assuming they were gen 1.  They had dust covers with them.
View Quote

The Gen 1s are pretty distinctive when you see them beside the others. It was the only one of the regular PMAG generations that came in a white bag like the example I posted above. I think they initially came in a clear ziploc bag(?) with a sticker label on it, which is what the Gen 1 20-rounders came in that I just found recently. They used a tan / brown bag for a while before switching to the green bag that the M2s come in now, but I can't remember if the Gen 1s came in that brown bag towards the end of their production. Anyway, if yours came in a clear or white bag, they're Gen 1s. The Gen 1 on the far left in this photo has four rectangles in the raised waffle pattern on the side instead of the three on later generations, and the non-window mags also had the ugly filled spot where the clear plastic is on the window version. The Gen 2 / MOE / M2 next to it did away with that, and the M2 window version had a larger / longer window also. The M3 of course has the dot matric pattern at the bottom for marking.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Gen 1s are pretty distinctive when you see them beside the others. It was the only one of the regular PMAG generations that came in a white bag like the example I posted above. I think they initially came in a clear ziploc bag(?) with a sticker label on it, which is what the Gen 1 20-rounders came in that I just found recently. They used a tan / brown bag for a while before switching to the green bag that the M2s come in now, but I can't remember if the Gen 1s came in that brown bag towards the end of their production. Anyway, if yours came in a clear or white bag, they're Gen 1s. The Gen 1 on the far left in this photo has four rectangles in the raised waffle pattern on the side instead of the three on later generations, and the non-window mags also had the ugly filled spot where the clear plastic is on the window version. The Gen 2 / MOE / M2 next to it did away with that, and the M2 window version had a larger / longer window also. The M3 of course has the dot matric pattern at the bottom for marking.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/PMAG_Generations_JPG-1362954.JPG
View Quote

My gen 1 mags are in a zip lock bag with a cardboard backing. No white bags.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Per Magpul:

We stopped making Gen 1's in 2008 so any marked after that are MRevs or M2 (MOE). MRevs are the most common mag out there and the most widely fielded polymer magazine in US combat history. In Iraq and Afghanistan the PMag out numbered all other Polymer magazines fielded, combined, by a large margin. M Rev included the NSN numbered/marked magazines that are only available in Black (windowed and non windowed) 

M2/MOE Mags are MRev mags that use the newer material and processing. (this change over happened about 9 months ago). 

EMags were the first PMag variant designed for the HK 416/SA80A2 mag well but could be used in the AR15/M16 (Gen 1s had one window, Gen 2- Made for the UK 2010 SA80A2 contract had 2 windows) 

M3 is a combination of the EMag and PMag technologies and updated material and processes. M3 mags are marked M3 and usually has the gird pattern at the base of the magazine.
View Quote

Thanks tig!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Per Magpul:

We stopped making Gen 1's in 2008 so any marked after that are MRevs or M2 (MOE). MRevs are the most common mag out there and the most widely fielded polymer magazine in US combat history.
View Quote

That's strange, because several of my Gen 1s, including the one in the white bag above, are dated Jan and Feb 2009. Here's a closeup of the date on one that was open:

Attachment Attached File

Just for fun, here's a comparison of the Feb 2009 mag on the left with a Nov 2007 mag on the right. The lettering is more prominent on the older mag, like the mold was starting to wear out by the time they got to the newer mag, but it may have just been that they cut a new mold that was a little different.

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
My gen 1 mags are in a zip lock bag with a cardboard backing. No white bags.
View Quote

That's interesting. Would you mind checking the manufacture date on one of them? My 2007 mags might have come that way - I don't think I still have the original packaging for those. Obviously the 2009 mag in the white bag was from the last of the Gen 1s.

Here's an old Gen 2 / M2 in the tan bag compared to a recent M2 in the current green bag:

Attachment Attached File

I'm sure most people don't care about all this, but the changes over the course of Magpul's production are kind of interesting to me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree , the changes of the Magpul mags are very interesting.  I have been looking more closely at my generations too
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's strange, because several of my Gen 1s, including the one in the white bag above, are dated Jan and Feb 2009. Here's a closeup of the date on one that was open:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Gen_1_Date_Jan_2009_JPG-1363186.JPG

Just for fun, here's a comparison of the Feb 2009 mag on the left with a Nov 2007 mag on the right. The lettering is more prominent on the older mag, like the mold was starting to wear out by the time they got to the newer mag, but it may have just been that they cut a new mold that was a little different.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Gen_1_Comparison_JPG-1363189.JPG

That's interesting. Would you mind checking the manufacture date on one of them? My 2007 mags might have come that way - I don't think I still have the original packaging for those. Obviously the 2009 mag in the white bag was from the last of the Gen 1s.

Here's an old Gen 2 / M2 in the tan bag compared to a recent M2 in the current green bag:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Gen_2_PMAG_Bags_JPG-1363192.JPG

I'm sure most people don't care about all this, but the changes over the course of Magpul's production are kind of interesting to me.
View Quote

Hold on...Ill go check.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dunno man, link to quote is HERE.

Like I said, not well versed in PMAG ins/outs. Not my jam.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just looked....Im showing 08. Just check 3.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Looking into this box....I realize I dont have as much ar mags as I thought. I have maybe 100 mags "In this one box" Im not mag whore. Not even a mag slut.

I did see...I have maybe  (10)bulgy waffle mags even 40 round circle 10 waffle mags. I got about 75 to 100 mags for glocks.

Im putting all my mags together to get a count and pics for insurance purpose.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looking into this box....I realize I dont have as much ar mags as I thought. I have maybe 100 mags "In this one box" Im not mag whore. Not even a mag slut.

I did see...I have maybe  (10)bulgy waffle mags even 40 round circle 10 waffle mags. I got about 75 to 100 mags for glocks.

Im putting all my mags together to get a count and pics for insurance purpose.
View Quote

I shoulda insured.

Tragically mine were all lost in a horrible boating accident.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I shoulda insured.

Tragically mine were all lost in a horrible boating accident.  
View Quote

Well....I just traded somebody on the block for some toilet paper.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well....I just traded somebody on the block for some toilet paper.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Just FYI, the Gen 2 mags will not consistently operate the LRBHO in the Cav Arms Mk 2.  Use Gen 3s.  The upcoming KE Arms Mk 3 should fix the issue, by dropping compatibility w/ the M3 Grease Gun mag.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got a good deal...its the charmin mega rolls.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Gen1 PMAG's did have a dust cover.

The very first colored Gen1 PMAG's came with a black dust cover, not a colored matched cover.

The first Gen1 PMAG's came new in a Ziploc bag.

The very first PMAG's were marked "Restricted Law Enforcement And Government Use Only"
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This would be correct. Gen2 started in white wrapper. Started mid 2009.

Gen3 came about in 2011.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top