Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2022 9:00:25 AM EDT
I would like to see FDE and OD green,  I know the MCT available but not in LR308.  I'm sure there alot of other members here that would like to see them. Anyone have someone's ear at Magpul?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They've got MCT in 308 I'm pretty sure.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Magpul does in fact make MCT 308 magazines but they’re harder to find. I have about 20 of them I snatched up for $15 a piece on sale awhile ago.

Magpul only makes MCT because the government made them. They won’t spend the extra 3 cents to dye mags, but you can get a neon pink weed container or some $150 Chinese green sunglasses with no issue. Im honestly trying to get away from them lately since they’ve gone hipster lifestyle brand ran by corporate bean counters who probably think guns are icky.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magpul does in fact make MCT 308 magazines but they're harder to find. I have about 20 of them I snatched up for $15 a piece on sale awhile ago.

https://i.ibb.co/NKLjL3c/60850-B0-A-4219-4304-8553-B29-C5-DD07-D56.jpg

Magpul only makes MCT because the government made them. They won't spend the extra 3 cents to dye mags, but you can get a neon pink weed container or some $150 Chinese green sunglasses with no issue. Im honestly trying to get away from them lately since they've gone hipster lifestyle brand ran by corporate bean counters who probably think guns are icky.
View Quote
I feel the exact same way. I had a bunch of extra magpul parts I sold. I dont think any real shooters care about sunglasses and daka cans and what not.

As for LR308 MCT I see the show them on the website but can't find any in stock anywhere.
I'm sure they use covid for an excuse for everything like the rest of country on why this or that bla bla bla bla can't won't sorry etc
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I recall, MCT is the replacement for FDE. Supposedly, there was a slight reduction in the underlying strength of the polymer with the FDE dye composition (compared to plain black), and MCT fixed that.

If such a reduction in polymer strength exists between FDE and black, I would suspect it's fairly minor: I've beat the hell out of my FDE gen 2 Pmags and never had an issue. I actually got some gen 3 MCT mags recently and I like the color more than I thought I would. From photos, I assumed it would be noticeably darker and more of a B5 "poop stocky" color than FDE; but, in person, it has more tan in it than B5 coyote and held up against any of my "well-loved" FDE mags, the MCT actually looks quite light-colored by comparison, heh.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I do have some Sand 308 magazines but this is the first time that I have seen MCT.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty much unattainable. I'm going to order a hex mag and try it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dang. I just went on a search spree and you’re right. They’re just gone.

I wonder if the SR25 getting dumped by the military has anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Have some done in Cerakote.

LIKE SO
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m pretty sure hex mags are garbage with plastic feed lips. I’ve seen lots of videos where they’ll barf out all of their rounds if you drop them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I coated some 20rd .308 Pmags to match a .308 AR I did about 2 years or so ago. I used AlumaHyde
Works great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I coated some 20rd .308 Pmags to match a .308 AR I did about 2 years or so ago. I used AlumaHyde
Works great.
View Quote
Alumahyde doesn't match worth a fockAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure hex mags are garbage with plastic feed lips. I've seen lots of videos where they'll barf out all of their rounds if you drop them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure hex mags are garbage with plastic feed lips. I've seen lots of videos where they'll barf out all of their rounds if you drop them.
What about the lancer LR mags
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I've seen the comments about how certain dyes supposedly degraded the strength of the polymer, but I'm not really sure I believe it. When ODG/FDE/Sand/etc... were available then I didn't see a bunch of threads popping up about how people's colored mags sucked and everyone should buy black ones because they were the only ones that were durable; and I didn't experience it myself. That tells me that either it's not true, or that the difference wasn't really all that great. TBH it sounds like it's in the same vein as the whole Russians using plum because they couldn't get their polymer mixture to be black without making it too brittle-although that one's actually true.

Even if the colored mags were slightly less robust it doesn't make sense to stop making them; it would mean that those of us who preferred those colors would just buy more pmags. It isn't like they aren't still making furniture in those colors, so I don't see why they can't add the dye. Hell, get an NSN for them and sell them to the Marine Corps too.

What I do remember was this new company called Magpul releasing these new magazines that feed really well and are really tough. And they make some really good furniture too. And they make it in all kinds of cool colors so you can do a color build rifle and match your magazines to everything. Neat!

And I did just that with an ODG build because I like the color. Then the new M3s came out that addressed some of the issues with the M2s that got them barred from use in duty weapons, but they only came in black-I figured colors would come along eventually but nope, just black and coyote.

FWIW I do think MCT is a better color than FDE, but I also think one of the reasons they came out with MCTis because they wanted to become the mil issue mag and everyone has coyote issue gear now. I also agree that they are more focused on making weed pouches and clothing accessories to appeal to peolle who have no interest in guns. Kind of shitty IMHO. But I guess since they supply DoD now they are less concerned with the civilian market.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
A few related statements per Magpul....

Magpul 
Product Updates 

•With the launch of Stealth Gray across the board, we will be discontinuing Foliage Green as a color option, to be completely phased out by the end of 2014. Also, based on demand and to maintain consistency across our line of magazine products, all non-black MOE magazine color options will be discontinued by the end of 2014. 

•Black is very hard to beat in strength as a color. This is due to the small size of the carbon molecule which makes up the black color and disruptes the base material the least during the molding process. 

Sand color came about during experimentation in new materials and processing. It was the first time we made a color that was as strong as black but it took another couple of years of development to get a color that kept the M3s strength but fell within the new US Army "non black" specifications. 

Technology is not static, it evolves.

•This new Sand colored material shares many of the properties and components of our latest black material. Endurance, reliability, chemical resistance, stability, and other parameters are exactly the same. The main difference, due to some proprietary developments in composition, is strength. The GEN M3 AR/M4 PMAG is extremely resilient in black. However, as tough as our basic black material is, the Sand material is even stronger. We’ve seen very significant increases in feed lip drop and other rough handling tests from -60F to 180F—to an extent that it made our initial results hard to believe. Similar proportional increases in the other magazines in our line have been seen in our testing. With this increase in drop strength, we still see the resiliency that makes the PMAG what it is—Feed geometry does not change, unlike metal or softer polymer magazines—and so reliable feeding is not affected by this punishment.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it’s pretty clear color limitations are a bean counter issue. Broken M2’s were fairly rare in any color, they discontinued sand despite comments above, and MCT only exists because the government told them to step out of the 90’s and make something not black.

I bet it all comes down to the costs of buying and switching out dyes. Magpul became a different animal when Rich stepped away and it’s kinda sad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I coated the upper/lower and handguard dark parkerized grey. And a few 20rd Pmags to match

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dang. I just went on a search spree and you’re right. They’re just gone.

I wonder if the SR25 getting dumped by the military has anything to do with it.
View Quote

I've been giving word to turn on notification when they are back in stock. They have not been discontinued, just out of stock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
So got new phone today and I guess they don't make Samsung phone covers anymore, the one useful thing they made that wasn't for a gun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LIKE SO
View Quote

Anyone do it in Taupe ?
KAC taupe. B5 SOPMOD taupe. Not tan.

??

TY
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Anyone do it in Taupe ?

??

TY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LIKE SO

Anyone do it in Taupe ?

??

TY

Unsure.

KG Gunkote and Troy Coyote Cerakote seen to be the go to colors though.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top