Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 1:30:32 PM EDT
I figured others might want to know, as I was waiting for months for these to be available - the new Magpul BTR brace is In Stock on Magpul's website and Brownells.  I had the notification set on Brownells but never got an email so posting here to let others know!  Not sure if these will be worth a crap compared to the SBA braces but figured it's worth trying since it's Magpul.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they making a point about not shouldering it?  The sling QD is on the rear of the brace.  WTF?  Dumb, and kills it for me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they making a point about not shouldering it?  The sling QD is on the rear of the brace.  WTF?  Dumb, and kills it for me.
View Quote

Someone just needs to make a buttpad "removable protective cover" that attaches via QD socket.  With some anti-rotation tabs at the bottom.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember seeing smooth pistol tubes that had swivels or QD mounts in the rear, not a bad way to carry single point.

While I’ll agree the SBA3 is better, this is way cheaper and competitively priced with a Shockwave.

For what the SBA3 costs, the Tailhook II is better.

And yea, just glad to see another option on the market, especially from a big name.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably trying to dodge potential bans by making something "designed to not be shouldered" while still being shoulderable without it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Another way to interpret it is it gives them a way to model in more convenient surface area on the rear face of the brace with an excuse that it totally was not meant to help improve shouldering or anything...

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another way to interpret it is it gives them a way to model in more convenient surface area on the rear face of the brace with an excuse that it totally was not meant to help improve shouldering or anything...

View Quote

But the QD socket extends beyond the rest of the rear of the brace so it dig into the shoulder if shouldered.  I think they are just worried about the potential of restrictions on braces and shouldering.  To me a brace has no purpose if not to shoulder it, but I can do the same with a bare RE as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
QD socket would be the perfect place to stuff a couple of ear protection foamies in it!  May give a touch of cushion too, lol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
With no photos of it bracing, and no clearly visible bracing mechanism, we reap what is sown.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
QD socket would be the perfect place to stuff a couple of ear protection foamies in it!  May give a touch of cushion too, lol.
View Quote

If you don't mind the 3/4" bruise it is going to leave on your shoulder.  If they would have made it flush, sure, but they had to stick it out for some stupid reason and if you grind it off you could wind up in trouble.  The open end on the main tube isn't very appealing either.  Their CYA take is going to cost them in the end.  I was ready to click the buy button until I saw this view.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
To be realistic, if it's a 5.56 pistol, there's not going to be enough recoil to bruise you too bad.  Maybe if you are putting the brace on a 308 pistol?  Ouch.  Mine arrives Saturday, will report back on how it stacks up.  I've got an SBA3 and SBA4 already, they do OK, but the squishy nature of them just throws me off every time.  I know they're popular, but this seemed worth trying out at least.  If nothing else then to support Magpul for having the balls to release a new pistol brace to market a week after POTUS calls to ban them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Magpul-BTR-001-675x450.jpg

Someone just needs to make a buttpad "removable protective cover" that attaches via QD socket.  With some anti-rotation tabs at the bottom.

https://i.imgur.com/go1LWTu.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking, but it doesn't even need to be a pad, just a piece that flattens out the whole back of it, but also has "winglets" or something wrapping around towards the front of the stock with QD cups on both sides...
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a couple to test them
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#14]
All that time making an inferior product because they thought it’d be politically safer, and it’s going to get banned along with the rest. Magpul dropped the ball.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All that time making an inferior product because they thought it’d be politically safer, and it’s going to get banned along with the rest. Magpul dropped the ball.
View Quote

You can always wrap the entire lower structure in paracord if you don't want to touch plastic.

I think they're dumping inventory ASAP ahead of 60 day response to Biden's EO, their braces were supposed to hit the market last summer IIRC, so now they want them out in the wild vs potentially trying to compete with other product lines and be stuck with unmovable inventory.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like you could take some sandpaper and knock that annoying bump down flush if you were so inclined
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks like you could take some sandpaper and knock that annoying bump down flush if you were so inclined
View Quote

You could, but then you may run afoul of ATF for altering the design of a brace to make it a stock.  Murky waters....
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#18]
PS I got them, I like them. Probably the best out of all the ones I have seen all of these years. But I speak from an aesthetic point of view, mainly

Magpul Brace by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Magpul Brace by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you don't mind the 3/4" bruise it is going to leave on your shoulder.  If they would have made it flush, sure, but they had to stick it out for some stupid reason and if you grind it off you could wind up in trouble.  The open end on the main tube isn't very appealing either.  Their CYA take is going to cost them in the end.  I was ready to click the buy button until I saw this view.

https://i.imgur.com/8eksXbg.jpg
View Quote

Yuck.  At that point may as well just get a KAK.  What a letdown.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/8eksXbg.jpg
View Quote
You don't shoulder an AR stock that high.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You don't shoulder an AR stock that high.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Midway had them on sale for about $35 so I bought a couple.  The qd mount doesn't stick out as far as it looks in the picture.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
PS I got them, I like them. Probably the best out of all the ones I have seen all of these years. But I speak from an aesthetic point of view, mainly

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51146222644_123ca5fbb0_h.jpgMagpul Brace by SoloDallas, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51146222529_42a6db441e_h.jpgMagpul Brace by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote

Agreed, the aesthetics look really good from a side view!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I look at these it makes me glad that SBA3's, with & without tube included, are still on sale by several (Midway, JSE Surplus).
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lmao.

Anything is better than a KAK Shockwave. Anything.

Their brittle polymer is a joke.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't do it. It's now illegal based on ATF form 4999. Looking at the pics, it's totally a butt stock. The QD connection is worth 1 point, it looks just like a known stock so that's 2 more points. And it looks adjustable which is more points. Lastly, it's suppose to have a strap which it doesn't so that's another point. Yea, illegal. You can't have more than 3 points or it's an SBR.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#27]
The SBA3 will also be deemed a buttstock so you can't go that route either. Sorry but you wasted your money.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't do it. It's now illegal based on ATF form 4999. Looking at the pics, it's totally a butt stock. The QD connection is worth 1 point, it looks just like a known stock so that's 2 more points. And it looks adjustable which is more points. Lastly, it's suppose to have a strap which it doesn't so that's another point. Yea, illegal. You can't have more than 3 points or it's an SBR.
View Quote

I would think that the rear QD is an incorporated feature to prevent use as a shouldering device. But it does earn 4 points for being adjustable & not having a strap. Just spitballing, I wonder if it could be pinned in place, subtracting the adjustable 2pt value.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Based on a rifle stock design, adjustable length, no strap...
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Based on a rifle stock design, adjustable length, no strap...
View Quote

This will be applied to everything, as rifle stocks have been designed in every way possible.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Join date, post count…

Go home, narc. We didn’t ask for you here.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#32]
the QD hole is in the exact same location as the top screw for the CTR buttpad.  just saying.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Does it have an ATF approval letter?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Exactly what I was thinking, but it doesn't even need to be a pad, just a piece that flattens out the whole back of it, but also has "winglets" or something wrapping around towards the front of the stock with QD cups on both sides...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't know where to find such a thing... No Sir...
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
ATF has ceased providing approval letters for braces, been that way for a few years.  

Now they will only write and opinion on whether a complete firearm (as accessorized) is legally a pistol/rifle/etc.  They also require you send them the complete firearm in order to make that determination.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top