Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2021 1:24:58 PM EDT
Will the Magpul PMAG Gen M2 Magazine work well with the Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II...or is the Gen M3 needed?

Thanks.

-Greg
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It will function flawlessly. Gen M3 has a few design improvements but no difference in basic functionality
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have dozens of Mag-Pul Gen 2's. They work in most any AR, and every single one I own. I've never heard of anyone having trouble with them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Guys!

I appreciate it.

-Greg
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I always thought the Gen 3 Pmags were slightly different for better performance in non-AR platforms which use "AR" style magazines.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Pmag dimensions vary slightly.

If your gun has a magwell that is sized to the low end of spec you may run into fitment issues (stacked tolerances). I've only ran across this issue with one lower out of ~2 dozen.

Overall they are great mags and should perform flawlessly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine came with a Gen 2. I have more gen 2's than Gen 3's.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always thought the Gen 3 Pmags were slightly different for better performance in non-AR platforms which use "AR" style magazines.
View Quote

That's how I understand it as well, with a couple all-around minor improvements.  Most of my AR mags are Gen 2.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's how I understand it as well, with a couple all-around minor improvements.  Most of my AR mags are Gen 2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M3 / M3 DIFFERENCES
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Thanks.  Yea, nothing really useful between models.  I guess the slimmer base plate is nice for mag pouches.  M2 texture is fine, I don't need a dot matrix, and overinsertion hasn't been a problem in an AR-15.  So, using an AR-15, I just get whatever is cheapest, M2 or M3.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it was more to help feeding the M855A1 round among other small changes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it was more to help feeding the M855A1 round among other small changes.
View Quote

Plus Magpul needed to make a 100% reliable PMAG for the HK416 family. The USMC made it more than worth their while.

All of mine are Gen 2's. They work just fine with the mil spec rifles they were designed for.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top