Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2020 9:10:08 AM EDT
If I want to prep a number of 30 round mags for longer term storage loaded ~ more than 3 months, and am willing to download to 28 or so rounds a magazine, what will work best?  I've run into issues before with some mags not functioning well after being stored loaded for a period of time - in my experience so far AR Stoner, and ASC mags don't function super well in this situation.  Any thoughts on what will work better?
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay/Brownells/D&H/Pmag , IME.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
USGI aluminum mags, Okay Surefeeds to be specific

Some will say PMAGs, and they aren't wrong, but metal just seems like a logical choice for long term storage to me.

By the way, 3+ months isnt very long term. I shot pmags this weekend that were loaded in 2013 and they ran fine. When i think of long term storage i'm thinking 10+ years.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
..... but metal just seems like a logical choice for long term storage to me.
View Quote

I have to laugh at myself after buying a half dozen Tapco 20 rd plastic mags for my SKS, and leaving 5 loaded in the closet for a few years.
One day I went to the closet, and there were 7.62x39 rounds all over the floor.
The lips of the mags all relaxed, and let loose the dogs of war.
All 5 of them got S#:t canned.
The one I kept in the rifle was fine, since the bolt was holding the rounds away from the lips of the mag.
Not sure I even trust it....
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have some USGI aluminum mags that have been loaded for over a year in the past with no issues.   Also some 6 month PMags, same thing.   I do like and have been buying Lancers recently with the hybrid construction, poly bodies and aluminum upper/lips.  I have been using them for almost 2 years without one issue, all I have are the 20 round mags, no 30's.  I have kept some Lancers loaded for 5 months now and will give them a try this weekend, dont expect any issues.  I have not been to the range since first week of February and these have been in my range bag since

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have quite a few (close to around 200) 30-round USGI mags, PMAGs, Lancers, and Troy Battlemags that have been loaded for several years. Thus far, no issues. Every once in a while, I will take a magazine I have had loaded for a long time and take it to the range to make sure it still functions fine. Again, no issues thus far.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had GI mags loaded for years
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, they're fine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure you test them. I had a batch of Magpul PMAG M3 mags all from the same lot that actually had their feed lips spread. They would drop free from a BCM and Aero Precision lower but not my Daniel Defense MK18. They would literally stick. I contacted Magpul and they replaced all of them, I believe it was 10 mags. Might have been a bad batch of polymer for that lot. I have over 100 other Magpul M2 and M3 mags that have absolutely no issue.

No problem with any Okay Industries or Center Industries USGI mags.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These Okay Industries mags have been loaded for YEARS!

Recently we have been checking out, resighting In, and confirming functionality of our AR’s because of the crap going on.

I have several hard cases like this loaded as a “Grab and Go” case. All are working FLAWLESSLY!

https://i.imgur.com/BkiklYv.jpg
View Quote

I like it. What model case is that?
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Some will say PMAGs, and they aren't wrong, but metal just seems like a logical choice for long term storage to me.

By the way, 3+ months isnt very long term. I shot pmags this weekend that were loaded in 2013 and they ran fine. When i think of long term storage i'm thinking 10+ years.
View Quote

I've had quite a few pmags loaded up since 07 and 08, they are good to go and no dust covers needed.  

Also USGI/Okay aluminum mags are good to go.  I don't download any of em
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Make sure you test them. I had a batch of Magpul PMAG M3 mags all from the same lot that actually had their feed lips spread. They would drop free from a BCM and Aero Precision lower but not my Daniel Defense MK18. They would literally stick. I contacted Magpul and they replaced all of them, I believe it was 10 mags. Might have been a bad batch of polymer for that lot. I have over 100 other Magpul M2 and M3 mags that have absolutely no issue.

No problem with any Okay Industries or Center Industries USGI mags.
View Quote

I had a similar thing happen with a batch of M4 pmags.  Tough I found out it was a bad batch of polymer by drop testing them, not keeping them loaded.  The mag split half way down the spine and spilled out all the rounds.  Magpul said to send them in and they would investigate.  Well, I sent them in and they got "lost" with no concern or explanation.  I did get 10 replacements and the poly on those were fine, they were durable as brick house.  

However, that's what concerns me with polymer magazines.  IF you get a bad batch of polymer, there is really no way to tell....until they fail!  

That is one of the reasons why I trust premium GI mags as my go to for serious use / long term SHTF storage over polymer mags.  Generally, if there is a problem with an aluminum mag, you can tell right away.

As far as long term storage, the USGI tan follower / new spring system as designed by picatinny is the longest lasting AR15 spring system currently available.  Both in terms of cycles and compression.  Battlefield VEGAS said these magazines just last and last where as all others they've tried with standard old style USGI springs fail much earlier.

Keep in mind that 99% of all the wiz bang super dooper mags that have been created ALL use the old style USGI SS spring.  These companies put all of their design implementations into the magazine body, and the follower.  None into changing the spring.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Magazines made by HK work great for long term storage.  However they sometimes have a little tab on the bottom of the floor plate that breaks and HK won't sell just a floor plate.  Out of a number of HK magazines I have used, only one has had the tab break off..  

I have been unable to find a replacement floor plate anywhere... it should cost around $5, but I would happily pay $20 if I could find one some where.  It is a little piece of aluminum about 3.5" long, .75" wide, and less than .125" thick with a couple of little bends on it.   Even when loaded with 30 rounds, they work flawlessly after being loaded over 1.75 years.  Maybe the one with the broken tab got dropped onto concrete just the wrong way...only one mag has failed.

If anyone has one of the floor plates, I will happily pay $20 for it, just because I really like the HK magazines, and they tolerate remaining loaded really, REALLY well.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
These Okay Industries mags have been loaded for YEARS!

Recently we have been checking out, resighting In, and confirming functionality of our AR's because of the crap going on.

I have several hard cases like this loaded as a "Grab and Go" case. All are working FLAWLESSLY!

https://i.imgur.com/BkiklYv.jpg
View Quote

What kind of case is that?
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#17]
@M4 already asked and answered.

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s a Storm Case, Pelican bought them up a few years ago. I like the latches better. I’ll have to lookup the model.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Storm Case, Pelican bought them up a few years ago. I like the latches better. I'll have to lookup the model.

Not exactly answered.......but I understand.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Magazines made by HK work great for long term storage.  However they sometimes have a little tab on the bottom of the floor plate that breaks and HK won't sell just a floor plate.  Out of a number of HK magazines I have used, only one has had the tab break off..  

I have been unable to find a replacement floor plate anywhere... it should cost around $5, but I would happily pay $20 if I could find one some where.  It is a little piece of aluminum about 3.5" long, .75" wide, and less than .125" thick with a couple of little bends on it.   Even when loaded with 30 rounds, they work flawlessly after being loaded over 1.75 years.  Maybe the one with the broken tab got dropped onto concrete just the wrong way...only one mag has failed.

If anyone has one of the floor plates, I will happily pay $20 for it, just because I really like the HK magazines, and they tolerate remaining loaded really, REALLY well.  

View Quote

I’ve actually thought about making those in my shop. I have one HK mag that’s missing the floorplate as well. I figured I couldn’t be the only one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
This, sorta.
I've got pmags and usgi aluminum mags that have been loaded for years....long enough that I dont remember when I loaded them.  Stored in ammo cans with desiccant in a cool dry place.

Mags dont wear out from being stored loaded.  They wear out from being loaded, unloaded, and loaded again.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#21]
To the OPs question, I use PMAGs for stuff I’m going to keep loaded. I have some mags that just stay loaded, more or less indefinitely. I had some bad experiences in the Army with aluminum mags being left loaded for a long time. The feed lips will spread. Now that said, the new mags weren’t a thing yet when I was in.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To the OPs question, I use PMAGs for stuff I’m going to keep loaded. I have some mags that just stay loaded, more or less indefinitely. I had some bad experiences in the Army with aluminum mags being left loaded for a long time. The feed lips will spread. Now that said, the new mags weren’t a thing yet when I was in.
View Quote

I have had USGI Okay, Adventureline, Colt, even Sanchez, etc. that have been left loaded literally for 15+years, probably longer and have recently rediscovered them. I have used 4 of them so far and they functioned without any problems. They are loaded mostly with some crappy .223 Remington walmart special ammunition. They were kept in a controlled environment though.

Loaded them to shoot with my son and never got around to it at that time and forgot where they were.

I don't know if it's a good idea or not though. I also have some generation 2 pmags that have been loaded for at least 8 years with dust covers and have used one to test it and it functioned fine.

Just my experience, yours and others may vary.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I assumed the HK maritime mags would be good for this since they are solid and were (comparatively) really expensive. I kept four fully loaded inside my safe stuck to the door via a magnet for years. Just went out shooting this week and decided to test them since I recently read the springs go bad fairly quickly, no replacements are available and that's why they fell out of favor several years ago. Sure enough, I had several FTF's per mag. They are no longer my loaded Go To magazines.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Storm Case, Pelican bought them up a few years ago. I like the latches better. I'll have to lookup the model.

That particular case is a pelican 1200.  The Storm equivalent is the m2050, but the latches are on the side, and its shaped different.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got pmags and usgi aluminum mags that have been loaded for years....long enough that I dont remember when I loaded them.
View Quote

Same at least 7 or 8 years now.
The pmags have the covers on them, they are gen 1 & gen 2's
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've had GI mags loaded for years
View Quote
Same here. I've had some USGI mags loaded for about 15 years now. I haven't seen issues yet.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Another who dumped the HK mags long ago from use.  Still have 5 or 6 NIW at home however.  Dropped one in Baghdad loaded and it deformed the feedlips and this was back in Jan/Feb 04'.  Had a USGI 20 rd mag that I fully loaded with some 40 gr Ballistic Tips for my 1:12 XM177E1 back in 88'.  Finally decided to fire it in 17' and it functioned 100%.  That's 29 yrs sitting fully loaded.  Got couple PMags and many USGI 20/30s fully loaded sitting in the safe at home waiting for me whenever I get back and need them.  I just fired over 100 USGI 30 rd mags that had been loaded up to 2 yrs here in the office the other week.  No issues with any of them.  I don't worry at all about USGI mags.

CD
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Another who dumped the HK mags long ago from use.  Still have 5 or 6 NIW at home however.  Dropped one in Baghdad loaded and it deformed the feedlips and this was back in Jan/Feb 04'.  Had a USGI 20 rd mag that I fully loaded with some 40 gr Ballistic Tips for my 1:12 XM177E1 back in 88'.  Finally decided to fire it in 17' and it functioned 100%.  That's 29 yrs sitting fully loaded.  Got couple PMags and many USGI 20/30s fully loaded sitting in the safe at home waiting for me whenever I get back and need them.  I just fired over 100 USGI 30 rd mags that had been loaded up to 2 yrs here in the office the other week.  No issues with any of them.  I don't worry at all about USGI mags.

CD
View Quote

Good real world info CD. Thanks for the input.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top