Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2020 9:30:03 AM EDT
I built a 300 blackout with an Aero Precision lower, and only certain magazines seem to fit into the mag well without resistance. When I hit the mag release button, most magazines don't budge and there is a good bit of friction when inserting. The only magazines that seem to fit for the most part are Pmag M3's, M2's have the issue mentioned above, as do the few promags I have and hex mags. Has anybody else ran into this issue? Is there an easy solution to the problem other than just buy M3's?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
More often than not it's the magwell dimensions.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What mags have you tried so far?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A simple test...

Try one Okay Industries magazine, EVERY Okay Industries magazine is checked on an insertion jig to ensure proper sizing. If it doesn’t fit properly, it’s your receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I built a 300 blackout with an Aero Precision lower, and only certain magazines seem to fit into the mag well without resistance. When I hit the mag release button, most magazines don't budge and there is a good bit of friction when inserting. The only magazines that seem to fit for the most part are Pmag M3's, M2's have the issue mentioned above, as do the few promags I have and hex mags. Has anybody else ran into this issue? Is there an easy solution to the problem other than just buy M3's?

A simple test...

Try one Okay Industries magazine, EVERY Okay Industries magazine is checked on an insertion jig to ensure proper sizing. If it doesn’t fit properly, it’s your receiver.

Just purchased 2 of these and will see what happens when they get here.

To answer the other question above, I’ve tried gen 2 and 3 Pmags, pro mags, hex mags, and some random metal magazine that came with my AR I bought many years ago. Only the gen 3 pmags have dropped free and inserted without resistance.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Spike's lower that's pretty much the same - M3's (and Emags, if anybody remembers those ;) ) drop, M2's don't.  Not uncommon, from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My Defender lower hates M2s. I had to weed out near 2 dozen as the mag dimensions were all over the place. M3s were 90% or better, think I dumped 2.

USGI aluminum are 100% in it.

I have zero use for mags that do not drop free in all of my lowers.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Okay Ind. mags are the most consistent mags I've found dimension wise. I had to pay close attention when I was running a Scar16 a few years back. Not only are they consistent, but they are reliable. Okay and M3 Pmags are all I buy, but anymore Okay usually gets my money. Your receiver may be on the tight side but the Okay mags you purchased should be a good tell. If you find there is an issue, I would contact Aero.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Way back in the old days of the late 80s my first AR was built on a OLY/SGW receiver.  That one was very picky with magazines.  No go with Thermolds back then, any USGI did work which was good as I had two footlockers full of them.

CD
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Way back in the old days of the late 80s my first AR was built on a OLY/SGW receiver.  That one was very picky with magazines.  No go with Thermolds back then, any USGI did work which was good as I had two footlockers full of them.

CD
View Quote

I work with a guy that has an OA gun, even aluminum mags give the guy fits.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
The Okay mags worked perfectly, may just have to keep getting those, they seem to be high quality.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top