Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2020 7:33:01 AM EDT
Hi, Just finished my new M4E1 lower. I have several 20rd M3 Pmags. Two of them will bypass the bolt catch. These two suspected mags work great with my other AR. From what I can see the followers sits higher in these two mags. I performed a follower swap and the issue chased the follower. Suspecting it's either a follower or bolt catch issue. My 30rd window, and two other 20rd pmag works great in this lower.

http://imgur.com/a/4euLTJL
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Try adjusting your magazine catch?

Never ran across a follower that "sat too high".  And over insertion tabs on M3 should ensure proper placement of the mags.

Whose lower receiver is it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try adjusting your magazine catch?
View Quote
I have tighten and unscrewed he catch. No Help. The mag inserts and locks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Try a USGI mag.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The bolt catch arm that the magazine pushes up on is probably a little short, I've seen that.
Compare and try a different bolt catch
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The bolt catch arm that the magazine pushes up on is probably a little short, I've seen that.
Compare and try a different bolt catch
View Quote
This or possibly an out of spec lower.

Whose lower and lpk?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Whose lower and lpk?
View Quote
AP M4E1, SOLGW Blaster kit. The Lower and LPK have great fit a finish. Not trying to bash on any of the brands.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AP M4E1, SOLGW Blaster kit. The Lower and LPK have great fit a finish. Not trying to bash on any of the brands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whose lower and lpk?
Guess that if I'd have paid attention the M4E1 was mentioned in your OP.

Both are reputable sources so difficult call. Trying another bolt catch as previously mentioned is where I would start.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't see your pictures, but I also think it would be your bolt catch.  I don't understand how a follower that sits high would fail to engage a catch.

Try a loose fitting GI mag.  If the problem shows up again, then it's not the magazine.  Also, even with high quality components, there could be a problem.  I would expect everything you used on this to work well together, but every manufacturer has periodic problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's just two, then toss the mags.  Or contact magpul about replacements.
Mags are a disposable item, treat them as such.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:

I played around with the mags in both of my AR's. Both of my rifles have the same issue. We are talking on a BCM and a SOLGW bolt catch. If you look the rear of the mags. The suspect magazines have their follower sit higher. On average my good 20rd Pmags measured 15/64ths from the rear lower edge of magazines. The Bad magazines measured 9/32nds. I contacted Magpul and waiting on their response.Pretty much eliminated the Bolt catch variable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
That looks like either follower tilt, or the catch slot is milled too far to the rear, or the mag well is too far forward.

I don't think it looks like your catch.  You could sweat a real thin piece of stock onto the front of the catch so it engages correctly, or be picky with your magazines.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it's just two, then toss the mags.  Or contact magpul about replacements.
Mags are a disposable item, treat them as such.
View Quote
What I'd do. ^^^
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Another fix would be taking a 9mm bolt catch and then file down the excessive extra length of the bolt catch leg for a proper fit, then it would work with all mag's regardless.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top