Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2020 1:59:36 AM EDT
Hi all - Surely this is a n00b question but I cant find my answer thus far in searching.

I just changed my rifle to 'Featureless' (I live in CA) and switched out the complaint bolt catch and mag release with the stock one. Now when I insert a mag, the mag will only 'seed' itself in the mag well if the bolt catch is engaged/the charging handle is locked back. Feels like something may be preventing it from locking in place in upper receiver. If I remove the pin and flip up the upper receiver, the mag locks in no problem

What am I doing wrong here? I have a Daniel Defense DDM4V7.

Thank you for the help!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Tried different mags?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If different mags don't seat properly, try removing a round or two from the mag.

Or insert the mag with the bolt locked back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Just tried again. Empty mags seed perfect, no problems. I just took two rounds out of another mag (from 10 to 8 rounds) and it seeded, but I needed to use some force. More than I think I should need to. Interesting...

Thanks for the help thus far, that worked.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess I am confused by seeding. Do you mean mags are not fully seating when you insert them and slap the bottom of them? If so since you said you changed out the mag release make sure you didn't screw it in way to much. That can cause mag to not seat easily. Unscrew it a few turns and give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, just unscrewed the mag release a few turns and its getting easier to lock the mag in place. Still not perfect, so I guess I'll have to fiddle with it a bit to get it just right... but that must be the issue.

And yes, I mean 'seating,' not seeding, for confusion sake.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome, just unscrewed the mag release a few turns and its getting easier to lock the mag in place. Still not perfect, so I guess I'll have to fiddle with it a bit to get it just right... but that must be the issue.

Thanks!
View Quote
NP. I made that mistake on first time I changed out standard mag release for extended one. At least easy fix.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure if this is your problem but are you using pmags?
I had the same problem and was told that the pmags don't always work on billet lowers. So i switched to E.T.S. mag's and the problem is gone.
hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guess I am confused by seeding. Do you mean mags are not fully seating when you insert them and slap the bottom of them? If so since you said you changed out the mag release make sure you didn't screw it in way to much. That can cause mag to not seat easily. Unscrew it a few turns and give it a try.
View Quote
Ditto.

"Seating" is what I think you mean.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
When I read the OP, and you said you searched for this, I wondered if that was the cause of not finding any results?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The mag catch threads should be even with the end of the button.
I've always done this and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top