Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2021 9:17:44 AM EDT
Blowback buffers for the AR are a little longer to compensate for the greater travel possible when firing the shorter cartridge. Standard buffers require a spacer.

Does the MGI buffer need a spacer when shooting 9mm? If not need, should it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The MGI buffer is about 1/4” longer when fully extended.  My guess is you still need the spacer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you should still use a spacer if you want to use the MGI buffer with a straight blowback setup.
BTW, below is a picture of one of my MGI buffers where the spring broke.  Still worked fine and I don't think it really does much.
When compressed it is the same length as a standard carbine buffer and it only takes a small amount of force to compress.....so just get a spacer.  I like the New Frontier Armory spacers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the answers, guys! I recently acquired a mint one for my Hydra and am looking forward to testing it out for all calibers. MGI's website recommends using the RRB for 9mm, but did not mention anywhere about using a spacer and kinda implied it wasn't necessary due to the RRB's design. The thought was nagging at the back of my mind though.

Thanks for the confirmation and recommendation!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top