Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2018 8:39:29 AM EDT
Robinson is teasing us with the reintro of the M96. It's on their Facebook page.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
They fucked around and burned that bridge.  They seem to be like keltec about getting neat shit to market.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They fucked around and burned that bridge.  They seem to be like keltec about getting neat shit to market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
^This

They screwed over and lied to their customers.

Even if they did a 100% repro and at a decent price, I'll never buy their product as a result.
Their facebook post is trash.

A flat top picatinny rail m96 with a suppressor?
This was in an old thread, but here it is...

Dear XCR Fans:

As usual I don't have much time to bother with these sites. We've made a lot of much need changes at Robinson Armament Co. Before I address the changes, let me put things in perspective.

Robinson Armament could have made lots of money making AR-15 knockoffs. It would have been infinitely easier for us to have just made an upper receiver which would have fixed some but not all of the shortcomings of the AR-15. Instead, we ventured to make a better battle rifle. We began with the M96. The M96 was a tough project. It had a piston drive and a better bolt and ejector. However, it still retained many flaws that were inherent in Stoner's design. Many didn't buy the M96s because they were "too expensive" or "had ugly welds". Nevertheless, the M96 was a step in the right direction.

The XCR was designed almost totally from scratch. We make or have made almost every part, pin, and spring. The goals of the XCR were very ambitious. Especially, the modularity and multi-caliber aspects. I pose this question: How many other firms have really designed anything really new from scratch? FN, Remington, Bushmaster, Colt? The answer is none of them. (I must admit that at least FN has made the P90 and that 2000 Bullpup).

The fact is that almost every "new" rifle out there is based on someone else's work. The XCR is not. It is truly unique. Yes, it borrows some concepts from other rifles, but each part had to be designed without copying anything else to get the result we wanted. In short, Robinson Armament dared to challenge the establishment with a very different rifle.

Robinson Armament's efforts should have been embraced. However, from the beginning, we have nothing but crap on the internet. I distinctly remember posts on AR-15.com shortly after I announced the XCR. The post were that it was "Vaporware". Other posts exclaimed that it would never be built or never work as promised. Such posts made it very difficult to get the XCR off the ground and made people very skeptical of the new XCR.

Other posts exclaimed that we were going out of business. It seem that the whole rifle world was against us. I have often wondered why so much negativity for a new weapon platforms? It is as though people really don't want any new platforms. Thee people claim to want the best but all they do is whine. It is no wonder to me that others don't venture out with new designs - they are shot down before they begin.

It has been just over 5 years since the first XCR shipped. The XCR was not perfect and our processes and procedures for making it have not been perfect either. When we began the XCR, we had no manufacturing experience. Not only did we come up with a new and different rifle design, we had to learn to manufacture it.

I will say that learning to make the XCR has been equally or more demanding that designing it in the first place. It has taken over 5 years to get the XCR where it is. The XCR now shoots 4 calibers (we are just finishing testing 5.45x39mm). I shoots them all well. It has the best ergonomics on the planet, and the most modularity. It is also super reliable and durable.

With this background let me explain the much needed changes.

We spent much of this year retooling our shop to make XCR parts better and faster. Concurrently, we completely revamped our quality control, not only during making parts but during assembly and final testing. Every rifle that leaves our facility now is much more thoroughly tested. There should be few if any returns needed from this point forward.

In addition to making the rifle better, we have also gone through our complete staff and made the changes necessary to improve customer service which was sorely lacking. We have a completely new staff for sales and service who are eager to help. Turn around on any service problem will be very fast. To get fast service, read on.

I'd like to post just a few more comments regarding service. Some of you will not like these comments:

First, when you call for service, be polite. If you are not polite to my staff, I guaranty you will have a pleasant experience. Remember the old saying, "You can attract more files with honey that with vinegar." If you call with an attitude, my staff has been instructed to put you on the back burner. If you are nice and polite, you will get quicker service.

Second, please read the manual carefully. I know it's boring but there's important information there. Many people do not understand that you need to set the gas correctly for function and durability. It's really quite simple - put it on the setting that throws the brass 8 to 15 feet from the rifle for any given ammo. Do not just leave the gas system on the highest setting, If you do, for some ammo it will kick like hell, throw your brass 40 feet, give you trigger slap, and damage your recoil buffer (a cheap part).

Third, please send us the following information:

Name, Address, Email and Cell number;
Serial Number;
Signed Copy of your warranty Registration found in the last pages of the Operator's Manual; and
A complete description of the problem, BE BRIEF. If you write and essay about your vast knowledge of firearms base on your long time relationship with your AR-15, we won't read it.

We will authorize the return to us of part or all of your firearm. WE DO NOT PAY FOR SHIPPING TO US.

Fourth, if you post a bunch of whiny petty negative stuff here or anywhere, I guaranty very slow service. I have made that a policy. Yes, we've made lots of mistakes with service but that is behind us.

Now for some parting comments. I am very happy with the current state of the XCR. It continues to gain in popularity. A great part of our sales are to Military and Law Enforcement professionals. Though we've got the XCR to the point where is nearly perfect, we are not stopping. We will continue to perfect the platform and add accessories. Work continues on the XCR .308. It will be finished when it is perfect and we hope that will be soon.

We appreciate those who stand by and support us. They are true patriots. We have to question the motives of those who continue to tear us down on this forum. They cannot stop us. Their petty feeble minds are easily exposed. The XCR will gain momentum until it covers the whole earth. There is no other platform like it and it is the best.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
General Manager
Robinson Armament Co.

P.S. Don't expect me to read and respond to this post. It is for your information only.

I've had a few emails that have asked me to clarify a few things.

Update on .308 and Stock. These projects are full speed ahead. Hopefully soon. They are both working but need a few tweaks. Those tweeks can take weeks or months depending on how things go. The bottom line is that we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. THEY WILL BE DONE WHEN THEY ARE DONE.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, with this attitude, I'd be hard pressed to ever buy anything from Robinson...

Dear XCR Fans:

As usual I don't have much time to bother with these sites. We've made a lot of much need changes at Robinson Armament Co. Before I address the changes, let me put things in perspective.

Robinson Armament could have made lots of money making AR-15 knockoffs. It would have been infinitely easier for us to have just made an upper receiver which would have fixed some but not all of the shortcomings of the AR-15. Instead, we ventured to make a better battle rifle. We began with the M96. The M96 was a tough project. It had a piston drive and a better bolt and ejector. However, it still retained many flaws that were inherent in Stoner's design. Many didn't buy the M96s because they were "too expensive" or "had ugly welds". Nevertheless, the M96 was a step in the right direction.

The XCR was designed almost totally from scratch. We make or have made almost every part, pin, and spring. The goals of the XCR were very ambitious. Especially, the modularity and multi-caliber aspects. I pose this question: How many other firms have really designed anything really new from scratch? FN, Remington, Bushmaster, Colt? The answer is none of them. (I must admit that at least FN has made the P90 and that 2000 Bullpup).

The fact is that almost every "new" rifle out there is based on someone else's work. The XCR is not. It is truly unique. Yes, it borrows some concepts from other rifles, but each part had to be designed without copying anything else to get the result we wanted. In short, Robinson Armament dared to challenge the establishment with a very different rifle.

Robinson Armament's efforts should have been embraced. However, from the beginning, we have nothing but crap on the internet. I distinctly remember posts on AR-15.com shortly after I announced the XCR. The post were that it was "Vaporware". Other posts exclaimed that it would never be built or never work as promised. Such posts made it very difficult to get the XCR off the ground and made people very skeptical of the new XCR.

Other posts exclaimed that we were going out of business. It seem that the whole rifle world was against us. I have often wondered why so much negativity for a new weapon platforms? It is as though people really don't want any new platforms. Thee people claim to want the best but all they do is whine. It is no wonder to me that others don't venture out with new designs - they are shot down before they begin.

It has been just over 5 years since the first XCR shipped. The XCR was not perfect and our processes and procedures for making it have not been perfect either. When we began the XCR, we had no manufacturing experience. Not only did we come up with a new and different rifle design, we had to learn to manufacture it.

I will say that learning to make the XCR has been equally or more demanding that designing it in the first place. It has taken over 5 years to get the XCR where it is. The XCR now shoots 4 calibers (we are just finishing testing 5.45x39mm). I shoots them all well. It has the best ergonomics on the planet, and the most modularity. It is also super reliable and durable.

With this background let me explain the much needed changes.

We spent much of this year retooling our shop to make XCR parts better and faster. Concurrently, we completely revamped our quality control, not only during making parts but during assembly and final testing. Every rifle that leaves our facility now is much more thoroughly tested. There should be few if any returns needed from this point forward.

In addition to making the rifle better, we have also gone through our complete staff and made the changes necessary to improve customer service which was sorely lacking. We have a completely new staff for sales and service who are eager to help. Turn around on any service problem will be very fast. To get fast service, read on.

I'd like to post just a few more comments regarding service. Some of you will not like these comments:

First, when you call for service, be polite. If you are not polite to my staff, I guaranty you will have a pleasant experience. Remember the old saying, "You can attract more files with honey that with vinegar." If you call with an attitude, my staff has been instructed to put you on the back burner. If you are nice and polite, you will get quicker service.

Second, please read the manual carefully. I know it's boring but there's important information there. Many people do not understand that you need to set the gas correctly for function and durability. It's really quite simple - put it on the setting that throws the brass 8 to 15 feet from the rifle for any given ammo. Do not just leave the gas system on the highest setting, If you do, for some ammo it will kick like hell, throw your brass 40 feet, give you trigger slap, and damage your recoil buffer (a cheap part).

Third, please send us the following information:

Name, Address, Email and Cell number;
Serial Number;
Signed Copy of your warranty Registration found in the last pages of the Operator's Manual; and
A complete description of the problem, BE BRIEF. If you write and essay about your vast knowledge of firearms base on your long time relationship with your AR-15, we won't read it.

We will authorize the return to us of part or all of your firearm. WE DO NOT PAY FOR SHIPPING TO US.

Fourth, if you post a bunch of whiny petty negative stuff here or anywhere, I guaranty very slow service. I have made that a policy. Yes, we've made lots of mistakes with service but that is behind us.

Now for some parting comments. I am very happy with the current state of the XCR. It continues to gain in popularity. A great part of our sales are to Military and Law Enforcement professionals. Though we've got the XCR to the point where is nearly perfect, we are not stopping. We will continue to perfect the platform and add accessories. Work continues on the XCR .308. It will be finished when it is perfect and we hope that will be soon.

We appreciate those who stand by and support us. They are true patriots. We have to question the motives of those who continue to tear us down on this forum. They cannot stop us. Their petty feeble minds are easily exposed. The XCR will gain momentum until it covers the whole earth. There is no other platform like it and it is the best.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
General Manager
Robinson Armament Co.

P.S. Don't expect me to read and respond to this post. It is for your information only.

I've had a few emails that have asked me to clarify a few things.

Update on .308 and Stock. These projects are full speed ahead. Hopefully soon. They are both working but need a few tweaks. Those tweeks can take weeks or months depending on how things go. The bottom line is that we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. THEY WILL BE DONE WHEN THEY ARE DONE.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
He has came a looooooong way...Robinson Arms are turning out great XCRs now...just saying. Every one of the XCRs I ever owned after the new updated gas system was introduced have been flawless.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
So is this a stoner 63 clone? Or what? Im confused, havent looked at there facebook page. If it is how will it differ from an original?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes...stoner 63 clone that uses AR mags.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]
But I like ugly welds.....
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested. My brother and I love our XCRs. Robinson's CS has been fantastic over the last few years, not that we've had to take advantage of that often.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no dog in this fight, other than watching the fun my friend has gone through trying to get parts, like many others-- he's been trying to cobble up a belt-feed top cover for ages, but the local laws make MG parts verboten-- it almost looks to me like the feed assy from an Ameli might be convinced to work-- I would buy a belt-fed semi '96 in a heartbeat, if I could be assured of parts support, and no idea how long I'd have to save-- the G36 (NOT a damned Glock) took three years to get all the bits together and done--
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Haven’t they been teasing this off and on for a while?

If they made parts compatible with the original I would buy some parts but I will never buy a new gun from them after they abandoned the original M96 owners and his post doesn’t paint him in a good light. I guess he sees potential money in his old design so he might be willing to go back to that well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#12]
2 more weeks...!

Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

2 more weeks...!

View Quote
DT should trademark that statement...lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I really want an M96. But all the horror stories about lack of support....
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really want an M96. But all the horror stories about lack of support....
View Quote
My brother and I both have XCR-L's, and have dealt with Robarm's CS a few times over the last few years, and that support has been exemplary. The Robinson Arms of today is not what it was way back when.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
KelTec still supports product made 20 years ago. Please don't insult KelTec.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes...stoner 63 clone that uses AR mags.
View Quote
No.  It's a gun that looks like a Stoner but has NOTHING in common with the gun whatsoever mechanically.  Other than they are both piston driven....and I mean that only operationally, not mechanically.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No.  It's a gun that looks like a Stoner but has NOTHING in common with the gun whatsoever mechanically.  Other than they are both piston driven....and I mean that only operationally, not mechanically.
View Quote
Desertmoon is correct, while there are some similarities in appearance, internally and mechanically there are major differences.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I love my XCR. I want more of them
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:17:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Until he moves on to the next thing and abandons the XCR and then basically tells you, “thanks for your money but screw you”
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Until he moves on to the next thing and abandons the XCR and then basically tells you, "thanks for your money but screw you"
View Quote
A bunch of us on their Facebook  mentioned that no one wants an M96....EVERYONE actually wants a 63 clone.  They just turned their heads and pretended that we weren't there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Broken promises,lies and then abandoning the platform why would anyone be interested
It was a neat rifle,shame it went the way it went.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Broken promises,lies and then abandoning the platform why would anyone be interested
It was a neat rifle,shame it went the way it went.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#24]
This isn't the fist time RA has said they were THINKING of making the M96 again, most likely won't  be the last.

I own a M96 Recon and  a top feed (bren). Don't  shoot them as no parts if one breaks. It's  been 14 years since RA made the M96 or any of it's parts.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top