Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 905
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw this on Reddit today. Anyone have any other information on this topic? Specifically referring to dot matrix cage code uppers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:42:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tyrant556] [#3]
Edit (double posted)

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
hey guys just getting my feet wet into the block series of m4/ar15. looking for some advice between a 16inch colt m4 RIS II w/fsp from thoroughbred armament or a colt socom from other sellers. both pretty much on the same price point. i was looking to get a solid correct lower as a base for future block series builds mostly but torn on which markings are better looking.

COLT SOCOM (14.5p&w) or COLT m4 RISII w/FSP (16incher from thoroughbred armament)?

any feedback will help, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTrover] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RecceMiguelGabriel:
hey guys just getting my feet wet into the block series of m4/ar15. looking for some advice between a 16inch colt m4 RIS II w/fsp from thoroughbred armament or a colt socom from other sellers. both pretty much on the same price point. i was looking to get a solid correct lower as a base for future block series builds mostly but torn on which markings are better looking.

COLT SOCOM (14.5p&w) or COLT m4 RISII w/FSP (16incher from thoroughbred armament)?

any feedback will help, thanks.
View Quote

It depends on how much cloning you want to do. I’m in the camp that you will never be 100% correct because the current civilian lowers are different from what the military is issued. I.e third hole, markings, etc.

For me, my opinion only, I like to get colt lowers because that is what the SOPMOD program uses. The colt gov prop marked lowers I would say are closer to being clone correct in appearance BUT you are paying for a replica of what is used by the military AND colt no longer roll marks their lowers which is a shame.

If you can get your hands on an M4 LE serial number lower that is roll marked, it is my opinion that they are closer to clone correct because they are Pre CZ Colt and roll marked… but this is just my opinion.

The SOPMOD M4A1 Block II program uses 14.5 socom barrel, but being p/w makes me sad… but those are the rules unless you get a tax stamp for an SBR… then no p/w.

Personally, I bought all my components and then had them assembled. Got the lower stripped, bought the upper stripped, for the barrel, RIS II, and then all the furniture + optics. This way, it allows you to build the platform the way you want instead of as is. I was going with your approach when I first started, but stopped once I found out I wouldn’t be happy and would have to spend more money to get it where I wanted it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RTrover:

It depends on how much cloning you want to do. I’m in the camp that you will never be 100% correct because the current civilian lowers are different from what the military is issued. I.e third hole, markings, etc.

For me, my opinion only, I like to get colt lowers because that is what the SOPMOD program uses. The colt gov prop marked lowers I would say are closer to being clone correct in appearance BUT you are paying for a replica of what is used by the military AND colt no longer roll marks their lowers which is a shame.

If you can get your hands on an M4 LE serial number lower that is role marked, it is my opinion that they are closer to clone correct because they are Pre CZ Colt and role marked… but this is just my opinion.

The SOPMOD M4A1 Block II program uses 14.5 socom barrel, but being p/w makes me sad… but those are the rules unless you get a tax stamp for an SBR… then no p/w.

Personally, I bought all my components and then had them assembled. Got the lower stripped, bought the upper stripped, for the barrel, RIS II, and then all the furniture + optics. This way, it allows you to build the platform the way you want instead of as is. I was going with your approach when I first started, but stopped once I found out I wouldn’t be happy and would have to spend more money to get it where I wanted it.
View Quote

thank you for the input. i honestly was after a solid lower as a base, but i couldnt find one that is stripped even more so an m4 LE marked one. so my options are very limited to the govt marked ones or the roll marked "m4 Carbine" ones. i was also even considering the COLT OEM1 too as the markings are roll marked.

i also got most of my components for a RIS II non fsp in line and just needed a solid lower really, but kinda got into the thought process of maybe "hitting 2 birds with 1 stone" with a finished rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#7]
You can use a Colt lower but as noted never 100%.  I use PSA M4A1 lowers on mine.  Marking are correct in script and SN "W" prefix.  Hopefully SBRs are ruled unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
You can use a Colt lower but as noted never 100%.  I use PSA M4A1 lowers on mine.  Marking are correct in script and SN "W" prefix.  Hopefully SBRs are ruled unconstitutional.
View Quote

Thats the 1st time ive read someone credible said that the PSA lowers have the correct fonts on their clone lowers. I actually thought the same too when i first saw them. I have one on for my blue collar parts mock18 and i recently mocked it up with the parts i had for my 1st block II. I hadnt made up my mind about my barrel choice tho. I know the correct one would be to use a carbine length barrel but i was hoping to use a middy DD barrel. Cheapo lpvo is a place holder for now as i really cant make up my mind on what barrel, optics and lower to use.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Thats the 1st time ive read someone credible said that the PSA lowers have the correct fonts on their clone lowers. I actually thought the same too when i first saw them. I have one on for my blue collar parts mock18 and i recently mocked it up with the parts i had for my 1st block II. I hadnt made up my mind about my barrel choice tho. I know the correct one would be to use a carbine length barrel but i was hoping to use a middy DD barrel. Cheapo lpvo is a place holder for now as i really cant make up my mind on what barrel, optics and lower to use.

https://i.imgur.com/151X4we.jpg
View Quote

I provide Joshua many close ups during the designing of those lowers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

oh dang, wow. i learn something cool everyday.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Honestly, I’d stick with a carbine gas barrel and a mk12 block.
The rail was specifically made for that set up; you can see the cut out on the bottom rail.
I went round and round with optics and eventually landed on the T2/G33 combo and really like it.
Lower, I’d just work with the PSA M4
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JSPA:

Honestly, I’d stick with a carbine gas barrel and a mk12 block.
The rail was specifically made for that set up; you can see the cut out on the bottom rail.
I went round and round with optics and eventually landed on the T2/G33 combo and really like it.
Lower, I’d just work with the PSA M4
View Quote

ive been waiting and waiting for that DD Middy to be in stock at OPlanet(i have a couple of giftcards there) to no avail. and now im considering a 14.5 carbine colt barrel from brownells + a badger ordnance mk12 gas block.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSPA] [#13]

ive been waiting and waiting for that DD Middy to be in stock at OPlanet(i have a couple of giftcards there) to no avail. and now im considering a 14.5 carbine colt barrel from brownells + a badger ordnance mk12 gas block.
View Quote

Yeah, stick with the carbine & the Badger. If it’s a socom profile, it’s stupid accurate. A bit heavy but accurate.

Save the Danny D barrel if you want an URGI build down the road
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:56:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#14]
Are the newer tan surefire RC2s on the market still clone correct? I remember reading a few years back something was changed on them but I may be misremembering.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Question for the brain trust: around what year did the RIS II FSP start getting fielded and do you know who got them first?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Midazoslam:
Question for the brain trust: around what year did the RIS II FSP start getting fielded and do you know who got them first?
View Quote

I never saw them in Ranger Regiment while I was there or after I left. I think only some Army SF dudes ever actually used those.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Midazoslam:
View Quote

Mid 2010s. Only Army SF and Air Force really used the FSP. Rangers, MARSOC, and NSW only used/use the non FSP.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

Mid 2010s. Only Army SF and Air Force really used the FSP. Rangers, MARSOC, and NSW only used/use the non FSP.
View Quote

SF used both.  About 40 FSB/60 non FSB in my encounters.  Just saw three M4A1 RIS II FSBs rails in the drawer today.  Course I also have three M4A1 RIS II without also.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:50:01 AM EDT
[#20]

SF used both.  About 40 FSB/60 non FSB in my encounters.  Just saw three M4A1 RIS II FSBs rails in the drawer today.  Course I also have three M4A1 RIS II without also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

CD,

How did the Block II and CQBRII get fielded in USASOC?

Did the unit armor just take the M4A1s that were assigned to the unit and put the RIS II + sopmod components onto the 14.5 upper?

Or did they put that 14.5 upper aside that is assigned to the M4 lower and order a whole new batch of upper components to assemble a second 14.5  in block II configuration?

Does that go the same for the CQBRII? Did the unit just order all the parts and assemble them on site?

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#21]

CD,

How did the Block II and CQBRII get fielded in USASOC?

Did the unit armor just take the M4A1s that were assigned to the unit and put the RIS II + sopmod components onto the 14.5 upper?

Or did they put that 14.5 upper aside that is assigned to the M4 lower and order a whole new batch of upper components to assemble a second 14.5  in block II configuration?

Does that go the same for the CQBRII? Did the unit just order all the parts and assemble them on site?

View Quote

Unit armorers are sent the number of kits per TOE to assemble off existing guns.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]
So that would be 2 x uppers, 10.3 and 14.5 in barrel, 2 x BCG, and 2 x DD RIS II, etc etc per M4 on the TOE? The assumption I have made in the past is that the unit would receive a complete 10.3 and 14.5 upper per M4 on the TOE. But it sounds like that assumption was not correct. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
So that would be 2 x uppers, 10.3 and 14.5 in barrel, 2 x BCG, and 2 x DD RIS II, etc etc per M4 on the TOE? The assumption I have made in the past is that the unit would receive a complete 10.3 and 14.5 upper per M4 on the TOE. But it sounds like that assumption was not correct. Thanks for the info!
View Quote

Wrong again.  MTOE is only one 14.5" M4A1.  USASOC then issues the other uppers.  So, should be THREE uppers for one lower.  Standard M4A1, 14.5" URGI and 11.5" URGI now. (was the 14.5' URG and 10.3" URG).
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Wrong again.  MTOE is only one 14.5" M4A1.  USASOC then issues the other uppers.  So, should be THREE uppers for one lower.  Standard M4A1, 14.5" URGI and 11.5" URGI now. (was the 14.5' URG and 10.3" URG).
View All Quotes

Ahh okay 👍 clear as mud now. I appreciate you breaking this down for me Barney style. Thank you much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Whelp, one more piece taken care of -
Got my Geissele SSA yesterday thanks to the Memorial Day sale.
Seems nice dry firing it but I’m not that much of a trigger guy to notice a huge diff compared to a Larue.
None the less, it’s works and I’m happy.

Next is to decide if I am going to get some CQD or QD sling mounts or just keep it strapped up how it is.

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:21:05 AM EDT
[#27]
What is the best riser for an Eotech 553 to have it be 1.93” height. Don’t care for the skyscraper type risers nor do I have use for one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
What is the best riser for an Eotech 553 to have it be 1.93” height. Don’t care for the skyscraper type risers nor do I have use for one.
View Quote

I’ve never really looked into a lot of those but from what I’ve heard, the Larue LT110 or ADM AD-ETECH-R2-TL could work without being skyscraper height.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/151X4we.jpg

Thank you, these are my go to lowers for clones. I have a few M4A1s, and M16A2, and an M16A4. I have an H&R M16A1 lower for my MK12 that is slowly coming together, (very slowly), an H&R M16A2 lower and the PSA M4 lower for an early block I. My only complaint so far is that for some reason the M4A1 mag wells seem kind of tight. They smooth out over time but initially they are pretty tight if you use anything other than USGI mags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally sorted out a proper Block II. Took a lot of patience and effort and All thanks to this thread and to ya'll, kept me from "making do" some components that one could get away with.

For the life of me i could not decide which stocks to use. I have kept a Black CTR and a Coyote Sopmod. For some strange reason im liking the simplicity of the CTR yet still in love with the coyote sopmods.

Anyways...

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:27:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#31]
I like the CTRs. They are simple and light. On the block II though I prefer the SOPMOD since it balances the rifle better. Even though it won’t be clone correct, I think I’m going to swap my G33 out for a G45 to get the 5x magnification. Maybe some day someone will make an LPVO magnifier. A flip to the side 2-8X mag would be neat.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:43:45 AM EDT
[#32]
FYI-Big Army finally approved for general issue last month black/tan CTR stocks, B5 black/tan stocks and Hogue black stocks all with QD mounts on them.  They will trickle down onto remaining guns.

QUICK RELEASE SLING SWIVEL ATTACHEMENT, RAIL
MOUNTED
PART NUMBER 13110153
NSN 1005-01-706-2552

MOUNTED
PART NUMBER 13110154
NSN 1005-01-706-2366

TACTICAL SLING (BLACK) w/ QD rings
PART NUMBER 13110155
NSN 1005-01-706-2558

PART NUMBER 13110156-1
NSN 1005-01-693-8723

TACTICAL SLING (TAN) w/ QD rings
PART NUMBER 13110156-2
NSN 1005-01-692-2559

PART NUMBER 13110157-1
NSN 1005-01-625-4470

TACTICAL SLING (TAN) w/ QD rings
PART NUMBER 13110157-2
NSN 1005-01-707-1744

VERTICAL PISTOL GRIP ASSEMBLY (TAN) (KAC style)
PART NUMBER 13110158
NSN 1005-01-707-1842

BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY (BLACK) (Hogue)
PART NUMBER 13110159
NSN 1005-01-706-2547

BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY (BLACK) (B5 stlye, no battery compartments)
PART NUMBER 13110161-1
NSN 1005-01-706-2373

BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY (TAN) (B5 stlye, no battery compartments)
PART NUMBER 13110161-2
NSN 1005-01-706-2510

BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY (BLACK) (CTR)
PART NUMBER 13110162-1
NSN 1005-01-614-7778

BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY (TAN) (CTR)
PART NUMBER 13110162-2
NSN 1005-01-616-4923

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:44:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#34]

hey CD,

MOUNTED
PART NUMBER 13110153
NSN 1005-01-706-2552

is this the DD QD mount?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#35]

hey CD,

MOUNTED
PART NUMBER 13110153
NSN 1005-01-706-2552

is this the DD QD mount?
View Quote

Don't know.  Have one on order however.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#36]

hey CD,

MOUNTED
PART NUMBER 13110153
NSN 1005-01-706-2552

is this the DD QD mount?
View All Quotes

hey CD,

MOUNTED
PART NUMBER 13110153
NSN 1005-01-706-2552

is this the DD QD mount?

Brownells presently lists the DD QD mount with the NSN.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Mb121:

Brownells presently lists the DD QD mount with the NSN.
View Quote

Thanks for the confrimation.  I looked on DD website but it didn't come up via NSN.  Looked liked same however.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks like the other QD mount is the VTAC LPSM

MOUNTED
PART NUMBER 13110154
NSN 1005-01-706-2366

https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-lpsm.htm
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#39]
thanks for the confirmation. yeah it did look like the DD QD sling mount without the markings.

The VTAC one looks interesting as well. first time ive seen one.

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:44:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#40]

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Attachment Attached File

those sling mounts look like they're aluminum.  I woulda thought they woulda went with steel QD receptacles for more durability?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Who's the go to for P&W these days?

I've ordered all the shit for a Block II upper yesterday, as well as 2 more PSA M4A1 lowers... But all I currently have right now are SBRs, so figured pinning the SF 4 Prong on the Block II would be okay.

Colt Block II seedling lol

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:
Who's the go to for P&W these days?

I've ordered all the shit for a Block II upper yesterday, as well as 2 more PSA M4A1 lowers... But all I currently have right now are SBRs, so figured pinning the SF 4 Prong on the Block II would be okay.

Colt Block II seedling lol
https://i.imgur.com/4RMEVlp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9oWJfrx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/97krxZx.jpg
View Quote

https://retroarmsworks.com/
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowkota1] [#44]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

https://retroarmsworks.com/
View Quote

Thanks! I saw some people referring him a while ago, just couldn't remember the name. 👌

*Edit* I already had the site bookmarked. Lmfao
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: A01R_D31R_R07R] [#45]
i just got my P&W and some other stuff done by D.Wilson...turn around time was not that long too. i would say about 1 week, even though the website says it could be longer.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Found a good deal locally and finally purchased a Razor this last weekend. Went out and shot it today.  After seeing how nice it is and how much I like it, I kinda wish I would've just got the Razor long ago.  It is night and day over the old Strike Eagle I had on it a long time ago.  I recently had a Viper 4-16 on it, and although fun to shoot I felt like I was going backwards trying to be more block-ii-ish correct.  This rifle is extremely smooth to shoot and very accurate.  One of my favorites.

Pic thread...

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By wakebrdr142:
https://i.ibb.co/KNNdFqz/IMG-3423.jpg
View Quote

damn, we still have eotech G23 magnifiers with abysmal eye boxes floating around?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:

damn, we still have eotech G23 magnifiers with abysmal eye boxes floating around?
View Quote

Pic was taken in 2019
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 905
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top