User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 228
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RichieRich562:
Made a couple changes to go 1.5.  How'd I do?

https://i.imgur.com/7J0cRZD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OTIu0h6.jpg
View Quote

looks good man, i like the transformation...
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only ever used a lower panel to protect my hands from heat. I can see using one other at nine o'clock (for a righty) to protect one's palm, but why are you guys using so many others? Serious question. Seems all that does is trap heat and add weight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BePhreed:
I've only ever used a lower panel to protect my hands from heat. I can see using one other at nine o'clock (for a righty) to protect one's palm, but why are you guys using so many others? Serious question. Seems all that does is trap heat and add weight.
View Quote

Can't speak for others, but for me it's to prevent an expensive rail from getting the slots damaged.  The covers do not cover up the ventilation holes on KAC rails.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tyrant556:

looks good man, i like the transformation...
View Quote

Thanks!  I actually took the TD vfg off and moved it to my block 2 upper instead.  The KAC feels better on this build to me.  With that, i do like this setup as is (finally).  Feels good and shoots good.  Dont think there is anything else I would want to change, or add--except a new safety and a laser.

Build Specs are:
Colt M4 Carbine lower (LE prefix)
Colt 4 position buffer with H buffer
Ergo Grip
B5 Gen 1 stock
CQD sling attachments
PRI Gas Buster with big military latch
Matech rear sight
Colt 6921 upper
Surefire SF3P
KAC RIS II
Eotech EXPS3-0
Insight SU-233
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 6:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gus] [#5]
I built this back in 2003-4. I wasn't going for a clone, just getting the best tech of the day on my carbine.  In those days we called this an "M4gery"

Other than the stock (this one's a Magpul M93A - one of if not their their first stock model) and the ARMS Aimpoint mount this looks pretty similar to a lot of what I've seen in this thread.   I do have a "Crane" style carbine stock but I actually really like the Magpul.  

Details are:  Lower is a Pac West Arms "pre-ban" assembled with all genuine Colt parts and springs. Upper is a complete genuine 16" Colt/Diemaco flat top, Colt M16 bolt/carrier, Knight's M4 RAS, Tango Down front grip, ARMS #40 rear BUIS, ARMS 17 Aimpoint mount with a cantilever riser, Aimpoint Comp ML2, Surefire M962 with click cap (SW02) on a very vintage Larue offset mount which lowers the light allowing easy operation with my thumb - no pressure strip switches.  I just recently replaced its RRA "match" 2 stage trigger with a Geissele SSA-E.

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]

What are some models of different red dots that have been issued/or mounted atop Acogs?

I think there are Jpoints 4moa, Rmr’s unknown model types, insight mini red dot sight, and noblex RDS

That come off the top O my head but I don’t know the exact model numbers. So I need help with that

Along with any others that would be considered “correct” I missed.

Also, FDE red dots are a plus as I have a FDE fetish. I’m looking to mount a correct FDE mini red dot atop of my Acog

So that’s why I ask

Please and thank you!

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:13:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BePhreed] [#7]
The SU237 ACOG featured a tan Docter which fits your preference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh hell yeah!
Thanks man!
Would you happen to know the model number?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By alexA2:
Oh hell yeah!
Thanks man!
Would you happen to know the model number?
View Quote

Thats the tanodized TA01 ECOS SU237 with the 7.0 moa Doctor it was discontinued around 10yrs ago. Trijicon still makes the ECOS model but it’s fde cerakote with a black rmr.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you sir.

Welp, I’m wanting a fde MRDS so I’m guessing either the noblex or insight is gonna be my top choices?

Unless there’s another brand I’m not aware of. I’d like a fde rmr but that’s out of my price range at the moment

unless I can find a used one that’s beat to shit, which is fine by me.

Personally I prefer 2moa’s but I’m not aware of any “correct” MRDS in fde that have that size.

Are there any? Or anything in fde that’s 2-4moa sized dots? I appreciate y’all’s input.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 12:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tyrant556] [#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I take mine off when in block 1.5 mode. Put 'em back on when block 1 mode. It came when I bought the rail so I just put 'em on and off

Thanks!  I actually took the TD vfg off and moved it to my block 2 upper instead.  The KAC feels better on this build to me.  With that, i do like this setup as is (finally).  Feels good and shoots good.  Dont think there is anything else I would want to change, or add--except a new safety and a laser.
https://i.imgur.com/ShZxpEh.jpg

Build Specs are:
Colt M4 Carbine lower (LE prefix)
Colt 4 position buffer with H buffer
Ergo Grip
B5 Gen 1 stock
CQD sling attachments
PRI Gas Buster with big military latch
Matech rear sight
Colt 6921 upper
Surefire SF3P
KAC RIS II
Eotech EXPS3-0
Insight SU-233

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:36:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#12]
Were there Block 1.5 PRs with left-side only (non-ambi) safeties? Or did they all have an ambidextrous safety?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Vehemence:
Were there Block 1.5 PRs with left-side only (non-ambi) safeties? Or did they all have an ambidextrous safety?
View Quote

Yes, not all M4A1s have ambi safeties.

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#14]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

CD

Thanks CD. Have you seen any ‘M4 Carbine’ marked lowers with Burst/Semi/Safe fire controls repurposed for any Block I, 1.5, or II rifles?

I have a couple of stripped M4 Carbine lowers (not A1s) and am trying to decide what to clone with them.

I was using one of them for my MK18 MOD 0/CQBR, but I don’t know that any CQBRs were mated with ‘M4 Carbine’ lowers that originally had ‘Burst’ FC. Searched all over the web, but haven’t found the answer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Thanks CD. Have you seen any ‘M4 Carbine’ marked lowers with Burst/Semi/Safe fire controls repurposed for any Block I, 1.5, or II rifles?

I have a couple of stripped M4 Carbine lowers (not A1s) and am trying to decide what to clone with them.

I was using one of them for my MK18 MOD 0/CQBR, but I don’t know that any CQBRs were mated with ‘M4 Carbine’ lowers that originally had ‘Burst’ FC. Searched all over the web, but haven’t found the answer.
View Quote

SOF never adopted the M4 Carbine but the M4A1 Carbine.  There are a very few M4 Carbines that somehow made their way onto the property books however.  Most of those are in the SF Group Support Battalions and have been converted to M4A1 MWS standards (which is a block I basically)

CD
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#16]

SOF never adopted the M4 Carbine but the M4A1 Carbine.  There are a very few M4 Carbines that somehow made their way onto the property books however.  Most of those are in the SF Group Support Battalions and have been converted to M4A1 MWS standards (which is a block I basically)

CD
View Quote

Thanks for this info
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Surefire M951

Question for the far more knowledgeable.

I recently bought a Surefire M951 Kit02 for my block 1 clone project. Came with the tape switch, extra p60 and FM63 IR filter. When I got it everything looked fantastic. However I noticed something while looking at pics here.

The 951 I received has the "slim body" and a ribbed bezel and a perfectly round front section. All the 951s I see with the slim body have the "smooth" bezel with no ribs and the front has flats all the way around. The only 951s I've seen with the ribbed bezel like mine are the "fat body" versions. Also, most of the 951s I see here have a "star" shaped part behind the bezel where as mine has a six sided "nut".

Is mine wrong or is it a version just not seen often? I tried image searching and couldn't find any that look like mine.

I would love some input before I contact the seller. I was told the ones he was selling were new unused kits (he has 12 more availible) with just the batteries removed from the kit. Also, the pic in the listing is of a slim body with the smooth bezel with no ribs so the one I received is different than the listing pics. If it helps the paperwork that came with the light is dated 2004.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Multiple versions were and are still fielded by the greater force. Just like many companies, SF used parts that lent to other variations of their lights until exhaustion from what I understand. If you dumped a company’s worth of M95X lights from any given unit onto a table, I’d be shocked if you found less than four variations of the “same” light. From your description, your light seems to have some early and mid-production parts. When in doubt, don’t overthink the clone game, especially with parts with tons of documented variations.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:06:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yorge9003] [#19]
Multiple versions were and are still fielded by the greater force. Just like many companies, SF used parts that lent to other variations of their lights until exhaustion from what I understand. If you dumped a company’s worth of M95X lights from any given unit onto a table, I’d be shocked if you found less than four variations of the “same” light. From your description, your light seems to have some early and mid-production parts. When in doubt, don’t overthink the clone game, especially with parts with tons of documented variations.
View Quote

I've been doing some research and you are absolutely right! While different "models" supposedly came with specific parts I've found pics of lights with old stock parts on them.

I contacted the seller and inquired about the lights and he said all were sealed in bags, from Surefire and have been in storage for years. He confirmed most have the smooth bezel, some with the star lu60 adaptor but a few, like mine, have the ribbed bezel and older six sided lu60 adapter.

From what I've found I have the "newer" version slim tube with the older version ribbed light module that was used on the "fat bodies".

To be honest I like the look of the ribbed bezel better and if it's just a case of using up old stock I'm perfectly fine with it. It came wit a FM63 IR filter that based on how stuck the rubber was its been in there forever.  

Thanks for the reply. It got my brain working and reminded me old parts keep getting used till they are gone on many military items.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Are Tapco vert grips incorrect? I found an old one and it has a cage code on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Creature:
Are Tapco vert grips incorrect? I found an old one and it has a cage code on it.
View Quote
I'm sure some joe bought one from the px or bx at some point
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#22]
How blasphemous is it to use a QRP3 mount on my block 1 instead of the correct original QRP?

I ask because while getting parts for my block 1 I picked up an Aimpoint PRO at the local gun shop and in the used bin was a decent condition QRP3 mount with the spacer and screws cheap. At first i thought it was an original QRP mount till I read the label on the baggie. I snagged it and ended up mounting my PRO in it and trying it out on my build.

It looks nearly identical to the original QRP mounts from what I can see but does have a larger knob and the cross bolt is a little different.

Originally I was going to get a Wilcox eventually but the more I look at the PRO in the QRP3 the more it grows on me. Just wondering if such a thing would make the clone gods angry?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry if this has been answered, but were black exp3-0 used?  Or would they be considered correct?  This is for a 1.5.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry if this has been answered, but were black exp3-0 used?  Or would they be considered correct?  This is for a 1.5.
View Quote
Not with the sopmod program, but Marine Recon units use them. While not technically a block rifle it would use similar components to what your looking for.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Not with the sopmod program, but Marine Recon units use them. While not technically a block rifle it would use similar components to what your looking for.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/D8B400BE-627B-4054-BCEB-1190BC55251B_png-2271155.JPG

View Quote
I spy with my little eye Wilson combat 1911 mags too. I guess he's probably using them with his MEUSOC 1911
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
I spy with my little eye Wilson combat 1911 mags too. I guess he's probably using them with his MEUSOC 1911
View Quote
It be the m45a1. The picture isn't that old.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
It be the m45a1. The picture isn't that old.
View Quote
I forgot about that one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I, too, am impressed. But, please, get yourself a USGI Matech.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Probably a long shot, but any leads on a yhm tri rail?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#32]
just curious as to when the 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel started being fielded?  2003?  earlier than that?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Probably a long shot, but any leads on a yhm tri rail?
View Quote
Saw one for sale on an IG page
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I redid my SBR to exact spec for my issued rifle. got moms doing 100yd groups and low ready to Rule 2 drills. she killed it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#35]
thinking of doing another build.  Is the comp m4s gtg?  Sorry, couldnt find a forsure answer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Hell yeah! \m/

Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
I redid my SBR to exact spec for my issued rifle. got moms doing 100yd groups and low ready to Rule 2 drills. she killed it.

https://i.postimg.cc/MXkHXdQL/Screenshot-20220213-124400-2.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Does anybody have a pic of a regular ass M4 with just an Elcan and a PEQ-15 on it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Number0neGun:
Does anybody have a pic of a regular ass M4 with just an Elcan and a PEQ-15 on it?
View Quote

My old work rifle. I've posted in before.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:54:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IT-Gunner] [#40]
Finished my Block 1.5 PR yesterday :)

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiteRabbit222] [#42]
Not perfect but getting there

https://i.imgur.com/ppMttZ3_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IT-Gunner] [#43]
@Creature LMAO!
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By WhiteRabbit222:
Not perfect but getting there

https://i.imgur.com/ppMttZ3_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote

Looking pretty good to me so far!
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I believe this is a member's rifle that I'm cloning, complete with the PAQ. Any ideas on placement of switches and method of attachment?  Looks like there is a switch for the laser plugged in and a line that would lead to a Surefire that isn't attached.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

What laser is that tho?
View Quote
AN/PAQ-4
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
AN/PAQ-4
View Quote

No, the other pic I meant.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IT-Gunner] [#49]
@wissota4 - I got a PEQ-15 clone on mine. It’s a Somogear, just the laser, no IR as I don’t currently have NV. For $60 it’s a good replica and seems well made. I don’t have any illusions it will hold up for too many rounds as far as zero goes, but it’s there more for looks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:38:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#50]
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
I believe this is a member's rifle that I'm cloning, complete with the PAQ. Any ideas on placement of switches and method of attachment?  Looks like there is a switch for the laser plugged in and a line that would lead to a Surefire that isn't attached.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124774/FEA4891B-DDA0-41F1-9BA4-A12F5DECA7A1-2302349.jpg

View Quote

Cool!  That was mine in Kirkuk 2005.  Yes the line is for a Surefire 951? Big old heavy flashlight with an IR filter over it.  I think it was on the right side with a pressure pad somewhere in between the picatinny rails with velcro .   Made the M4 front heavy for me.  I put it on for night or multi-day missions.  The PAQ4 was operated by the paddle switch. 2012 M4
Same M4 in 2012-13 Afghanistan.  Now with Elcan, PEQ15, and an FDE Surefire 600 that remained on the M4 since it wasn't a brick. I still have both buttstocks and VFG from that M4.
Page / 228
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top