Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
13 hoursish........

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50997182417_208976c082_b.jpg
View Quote
I like it
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I know its not clone correct but I want to get it closer.
Milled my own lower, 14.5 with pinned a2x, exps 2. Want to ditch mapul stuff and swap with tango down grip, KAC 300 and Sopmod stock for battery storage too.
Any suggestions and opinions?
Thanks Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By grizzlygunner999:
I know its not clone correct but I want to get it closer.
Milled my own lower, 14.5 with pinned a2x, exps 2. Want to ditch mapul stuff and swap with tango down grip, KAC 300 and Sopmod stock for battery storage too.
Any suggestions and opinions?
Thanks https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463612/20210303_150308_jpg-1849972.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463612/20210303_150339_jpg-1849973.JPG
View Quote

A side sling swivel mounted under the FSB, ditch the trigger/hammer pin retainers, ACOG or M68 sight (a CompM2 or a PRO with a QRP mount is a good clone for the M68) and it would be pretty correct, by the standards set forth in this thread.  For a good, clone correct firing group, you could go with the ALG QRP trigger group as it's mil-spec semi-auto with a polished contact points and .001 oversize pins to stop any wobble of the trigger and hammer.  I believe the current issue M4's have H2 buffers with standard carbine springs also.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jparish62:

The Eotech looks like  it could be a 551 or 552 and the light is an M961 or 962

ETA: actually I think the 552 is a shorter model so I'm likely wrong on that. I was in the same time as you, but the marine corps was still predominantly still using irons at the time
View Quote

Too small to be M962, maybe M952. The 962 is a couple inches and pounds shy of an actual boat anchor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

Too small to be M962, maybe M952. The 962 is a couple inches and pounds shy of an actual boat anchor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kmcale:
Originally Posted By jparish62:

The Eotech looks like  it could be a 551 or 552 and the light is an M961 or 962

ETA: actually I think the 552 is a shorter model so I'm likely wrong on that. I was in the same time as you, but the marine corps was still predominantly still using irons at the time

talked to one of the guys from squad said it took AA batteries so I'm curious to see what model it is he's checking,  we never had a BUIS on any of them. I ran a SAW with irons mostly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a cage coded coyote a2 grip and KAC VFG of EE coming 53$ for both
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
talked to one of the guys from squad said it took AA batteries so I'm curious to see what model it is he's checking,  we never had a BUIS on any of them. I ran a SAW with irons mostly.
View Quote
Here's the one. He's still borrowing it from 2005
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

EOTech 552 and Surefire M951
View Quote

552 takes AA
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#16]

I know. It's a 552 in his pic. Only other EOTech it could be is the 512, which is the non NV compatible version of the 552.
It's a 552.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wissota4:

552 takes AA

I know. It's a 552 in his pic. Only other EOTech it could be is the 512, which is the non NV compatible version of the 552.
It's a 552.
When did the 552 get released? I thought it was around  2010, we deployed in 2004 to 2005 when pics were taken.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#17]

That looks great. Should get rear sight though with that old eotech
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#19]
When did the 552 get released? I thought it was around  2010, we deployed in 2004 to 2005 when pics were taken.
View All Quotes

552 takes AA

It's a 552.

My 552 is an '05. Got it from someone that bought it new for their issued rifle back in the day and and ended up sellin it in the ee. One of of my fav block 1 optics. (They are all my favorites. Got a thing for optics)

ETA-2009 is when they changed the battery compartment on the 512/552. Pre 2009, F revision is where it's at. No offense to the posties out there.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]
This was taken in 2005. My squad was assigned to PSD duty and the Colonel got us eotechs and lights , our m4s were issued with carry handles and KAC rails kits.
Anyone know what model eotech and surefire they could be, both took 123 batteries.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463612/20210228_084422_jpg-1844852.JPG
View Quote
Definitely a 512/552 on the optic. But it takes AA and not cr123's as stated by milspec.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Anybody see the CRANE SOPMODs at SAC

I've only seen 2 early examples (which differ from these), thoughts/input?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

View Quote

Would an O.G. Crane SOPMOD have a CAGE code? The one in his pictures is a B5.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Pretty sweet. But for $350 used (with rack numbers and all), no can do.
View All Quotes

Pretty sweet. But for $350 used (with rack numbers and all), no can do.

Steep, I agree.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

View Quote

He gives an explanation as to why the B5 CAGE is there.

I can't say one way/other, I was hoping someone here had experience.

FWIW, the 2 that I have seen posted here (confirmed early samples) were void of markings.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]

FWIW, the 2 that I have seen posted here (confirmed early samples) were void of markings.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Whoops. Guess I should have kept scrolling.  

The only ones I have seen have been void of markings as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#27]
From his description

Now For the record the one your going to purchase does have B5 cage coding on the other side but at that time (like 20 years ago) when all this was just setting in, B5 was only an injection molding company...
View Quote

B5 was founded in 2008 and their CAGE code was established on 11/13/2008 so his timeline of 20 years ago doesn't quite jive.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tanodized] [#28]
View Quote

That story is bunk, just like the price he's charging. B5 only stepped into the picture well after LMT had taken over production from Crane. In other words, they are the farthest removed from legitimate first generation in-house manufactured SOPMOD's. Those feature numerous visual distinctions, not the least of which is the absence of any CAGE marking.

But let's say you still want that exact same B5 variant that Shark Arms is selling. From the exact same source, with the exact same rack number sharpie. Here, let me save you some money. Alternatively you can find current B5 government SOPMODs in stock at Brownells for even less! This is just another disheartening example of why my opinion of SAC continues to decline.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Kalmar:

That story is bunk, just like the price he's charging. B5 only stepped into the picture well after LMT had taken over production from Crane. In other words, they are the farthest removed from legitimate first generation in-house manufactured SOPMOD's. Those feature numerous visual distinctions, not the least of which is the absence of any CAGE marking.

But let's say you still want that exact same B5 variant that Shark Arms is selling. From the exact same source, with the exact same rack number sharpie. Here, let me save you some money. Alternatively you can find current B5 government SOPMODs in stock at Brownells for even less! This is just another disheartening example of why my opinion of SAC continues to decline.
View Quote

That's what I was afraid of...  

Thanks for the confirmation.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:00:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#30]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Didn’t even notice the CAGE as I was hopping in the shower when I first glanced at these. I don’t even think CAGE code stamping parts was a “thing” yet back when CRANE made SOPMOD’s. At least as far as I’m aware. (ETA except for maybe KAC on the RIS/RAS) And as Kalmar stated B5 came in after LMT.

Pretty fucked up. Sounds like Chris got okie-doke’d.
View Quote

Markings are what grabbed my attention after reading the description.

Things are not what the once were at SAC. About all I can say......(nicely).
Damn shame.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:50:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sqwerl] [#32]
Seems about as dishonest as Sharks Arms nearly a year ago selling worn out ass Colt bolts calling them NOS. I asked for a refund and Chris said “there Colt goodness! They’ll outlast anything made today!” Lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:40:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Kalmar:

View Quote

The brownells ones are good to go if you like freshly made B5 stuff. I still prefer the gen 1 LMT, don't much like the rough surface of the B5. The one you linked seem to be nicely worn though, could be worth it for just a few dollars more for those that are picky (me)
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Apparently you all missed his description at the top of the ad for these stocks.  They are early examples of the B5, yet not earlier than Crane or LMT.  That price is way too much for me.  Luckily I got one of these from the EE years ago that had to be sanded down to fit a milspec stock.  Works fine now.
His quote at the top;
"PATENT# US6543172B1 CRANE SOPMOD FACTS, VERY LIMITED SUPPLIE".
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:07:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#35]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:42:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#36]
Originally Posted By imdBman:
Apparently you all missed his description at the top of the ad for these stocks.  They are early examples of the B5, yet not earlier than Crane or LMT.  That price is way too much for me.  Luckily I got one of these from the EE years ago that had to be sanded down to fit a milspec stock.  Works fine now.
His quote at the top;
View Quote

This (from his page):

What I have here are the very first SOPMODS that were made, before they went into any kind of mass production,  there are literally only a couple hundred that ever existed , and I have a couple dozen of those originals.The originals have the Crane patent number on the side of them, they also are very slick to the touch unlike how rough they are now because of trying to keep cost down.

Is confusing. "Very first SOPMODS made".

If you look at THIS THREAD , the stocks are totally different.

Early run G1 B5, but not original CRANE are my thoughts. But I've been wrong before....

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#37]
His quote at the top;
View Quote

My communication is lacking.  That was sarcasm.  That ad is definitely misleading.  I found it funny how mis-spelled supply to "supplie"
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#38]

My communication is lacking.  That was sarcasm.  That ad is definitely misleading.  I found it funny how mis-spelled supply to "supplie"
View All Quotes
His quote at the top;

Gotcha now.

And yeah, grammar and such are not his strengths.

I've bought a lot from Chris, a lot of solid/legit gear at great prices. Always treated me right, always an easy guy to deal with.

Not sure what has changed inside the last year. Hopefully he gets shit sorted.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#39]

We got really fortunate to grab these when we did, IM proud to offer these to our customers, these are typically priced at around 480.00 or so when they come up. IVE SEEN THEM AS LOW AS 210.00(BECAUSE OF BAD INFO ON A FORUM) AND AS HIGH AS 700.00 EACH. Typically you only see one or 2 once every year or two, nothing like this ever this is a true rarity.
View Quote

Come on guys, obviously he has the low down on what these should sell for. /sarc

I was following the EE thread he’s referring to. An early SOPMOD claimed to be an original T&E came up for sale and the price bounced anywhere from $400 to the $210 it finally sold for.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/NSWC-Crane-SOPMOD-Ultra-Rare-Original-TandE-Stock-210-shipped/119-2103566/

It seems like he is either getting confused himself between the very early SOPMODS and later B5 or just trying to confuse customers with his multiple paragraphs trying to justify the price.

Over a year ago for several months, I got some new clone parts from him that are nice at a really good price. After my last experiences, I would not buy anything surplus from him. I would even be suspect of new parts that aren’t in a sealed bag or box.

My thoughts are he got his name out there when nice clone parts were still available but now his business is hurting ever since parts started drying up. I think he either gets hoodwinked by whoever he’s buying the surplus stuff from or he’s doing the hoodwinking himself.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#40]
If you want an original LMT SOPMOD stock......

https://wetworxoutfitters.com/lmt-sopmod-mil-spec-first-gen-stock-black/

$199.99

I bought a military surplus NOS, in the blue bag, B5 SOPMOD Gen1 about a year and a half ago.  I don't remember the cost but it was a pretty good price and it was the version that fits the receiver extension perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIZZO_ARAKM14] [#41]
Hey fellas, was wondering if you could point me in the right direction on nomenclature. My brother was in Afghanistan 08-09 and had a Colt M4.

It was equipped with the following:
KAC RAS
KAC panels
Had both a KAC VFG and a GripPod issued (gave me both)
Unsure on barrel profile
Matech BUIS
Aimpoint CompM4 (99.9%sure)
Surefire 951
Waffle stock

Where exactly does this fit in these line of rifles? I would ask him for pics, but there was some infighting in the family and we unfortunately no longer talk.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
Hey fellas, was wondering if you could point me in the right direction on nomenclature. My brother was in Afghanistan 08-09 and had a Colt M4.

It was equipped with the following:
KAC RAS
KAC panels
Had both a KAC VFG and a GripPod issued (gave me both)
Unsure on barrel profile
Matech BUIS
Aimpoint CompM4 (99.9%sure)
Surefire 951
Waffle stock

Where exactly does this fit in these line of rifles? I would ask him for pics, but there was some infighting in the family and we unfortunately no longer talk.

Thanks for any help.
View Quote
M4 MWS. Profile would be standard 14.5 Gov. profile.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
M4 MWS. Profile would be standard 14.5 Gov. profile.
View Quote
10-4, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:

My 552 is an '05. Got it from someone that bought it new for their issued rifle back in the day and and ended up sellin it in the ee. One of of my fav block 1 optics. (They are all my favorites. Got a thing for optics)

ETA-2009 is when they changed the battery compartment on the 512/552. Pre 2009, F revision is where it's at. No offense to the posties out there.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/image_jpg-1856220.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/image_jpg-1856221.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:

552 takes AA

It's a 552.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/image_jpg-1856220.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/image_jpg-1856221.JPG

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Not much here is clone correct. Colt BCG and KAC Rail, that's about it. But it looks friggin sweet...

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Man, I really want a fixed stock SPR!
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#48]
In case anyone is looking for an ACOG, I just posted my TA31RCOM4 in the EE.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Was or is the Steiner DBAL used on any of the Block 1 or 2 or MWS rifles in the US military?  I am sure it wasn't part of the SOPMOD package but has that brand been used in the real world military?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 228
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top