Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 5:29:46 PM EDT
So I'm building, and a lot of the rails that I find that are interesting (color, length, etc) are KeyMod.  Everything I've got so far is M-Lok, and I've heard that KeyMod isn't as secure for holding things...  But which do y'all think is better and why?

I finally found a FDE rail in M-Lok for one of my builds, but I'd like an OD green and maybe red, blue, gold...  Most of those other colors I find are either KeyMod or out of the budget I have in mind.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
M-lok over dick mod any day. Honestly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a titanium cerakote keymod enhanced aero handguard in the equipment exchange if interested

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/2095625_Enhanced-Aero-Handguard-12-5-Keymod-Ti-Cerakote.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
No dickmod for me please
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
They both work ok.
I think Mlok works slightly better.

I have one keymod, my first modular rail that came on an assembled BCM upper. It works fine.

I would not hesitate to get another IF I liked it better for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
M-lok....looks better, holds well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M-lok over dick mod any day. Honestly.
View Quote

I'm slapping my head now...  At first I didn't get what you meant by "dick mod"...  Then I looked at some more rails and...  Now I see it.  And damn you, I can't unsee it now.  Yeah...  Not going to buy one now.

Reminds me of this local landmark...  https://austinmotel.com/we-see-it-too/

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
The main advantage of Mlok is the fact that it has become so much more popular than key mod, which is basically going the way of the dodo bird. If you want compatibility with future parts, stick with mlok
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They both work ok.
I think Mlok works slightly better.

I have one keymod, my first modular rail that came on an assembled BCM upper. It works fine.

I would not hesitate to get another IF I liked it better for whatever reason.
View Quote

M-LOK is substantially better.

https://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/05/details-on-the-ussocom-sponsored-keymod-vs-m-lok-test-conducted-at-nswc-crane/
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Only you can prevent DickMod uppers from propogating in the wild.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
if all of your accessories are M-Lok, stick with that. no sense adding in something that is compatible with the rest of your equipment.

if you want some crazy colored rail so bad, just rattle can the bitch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
There's a reason that you can find so many options in keymod in these troubled times where all the good stuff is out of stock.  Nobody wants it unless they invested in keymod gear before the tide turned.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#12]
KeyMod is gayer than cum on a moustache.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's a reason that you can find so many options in keymod in these troubled times where all the good stuff is out of stock.  Nobody wants it unless they invested in keymod gear before the tide turned.
View Quote

That makes sense...  lack of demand.  All the hanguards I want in MLok are probably sold out...  

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's a reason that you can find so many options in keymod in these troubled times where all the good stuff is out of stock.
View Quote

I was just about to say this.  KeyMod stuff is still readily available because most people don't want it.  M-LOK is the way to go, in my opinion.  Unfortunately, a lot of the M-LOK stuff is sold out these days, but I think you'll be far happier with that attachment system when you finally find one that's available, OP.  As others have said, aside from providing a solid mount for your accessories, the M-LOK system looks a lot nicer than the KeyMod system.  M-LOK slots essentially blend in with the design of most handguards.  They're much more streamlined, and basically resemble ventilation slits in the handguard, whereas KeyMod slots look a lot more "industrial," and practically scream "I'm an accessory attachment point!"  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
KeyMod is sometimes referred to as a Home Depot handguard. I think Noveske was the first to use them.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Since I plan not to throw my gun off a five story building the advantage is slight to me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since I plan not to throw my gun off a five story building the advantage is slight to me.
View Quote

Be like Bill.

Geissele Super Modular Rail - DROP TEST
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plenty of LEO and some large foreign .mil types issue keymod. It's not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both, and prefer M Lok, it just seems like a far more secure system to me. Keymod seems a little easier to mount things to the rail though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Have both and pic rail. I’ve never had issues with KeyMod staying put. I have had issues with MLok accessories buggering up the rail. All are plenty strong for hard use if you buy quality stuff.

KeyMod isn’t gay as long as you keep the dicks pointing away from you.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top