Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2018 6:18:11 AM EDT
How have any of you reprofiled the more modern bolt catch bumps (more rectangular) into the more rounded retro shaped bumps?

TIA

Travis
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How have any of you reprofiled the more modern bolt catch bumps (more rectangular) into the more rounded retro shaped bumps?

TIA

Travis
View Quote
Not sure but Braceman did mine for my 602 build. If your doing a 602 or 601 don't forget about having the flashing on the lower smoothed away.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

TIA

Travis
View Quote
Travis;

I have reprofiled the bolt catch "bumps" on all of my early builds (601's, 602, XM16E1's, and 604's).  It is not difficult to do with either a file, or a STEADY hand with a dremel tool (my preferred method), followed up with sand paper.  An early build just does not look right without this modification.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Travis;

I have reprofiled the bolt catch "bumps" on all of my early builds (601's, 602, XM16E1's, and 604's).  It is not difficult to do with either a file, in a STEADY hand with a dremel tool (my preferred method), followed up with sand paper.  An early build just does not look right without this modification.
View Quote
Any pics for comparison? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any pics for comparison? Thanks
View Quote
Sure @CamoXJeep, here you go:

Here is an original set of XM16E1 bolt catch ears:

Attachment Attached File

Here is a set of NoDak bolt catch ears:

Attachment Attached File

Here is a set of reprofiled NoDak bolt catch ears:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Ureeka

What do you think about this approach.

Rout out a half round groove(appropriately sized) into a piece of hardwood accounting for sandpaper thickness and then go over both lugs at the same time from front to back with the sandpaper lined wood form?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome thanks, more work to do now lol
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Awesome thanks, more work to do now lol
View Quote
Yes, it is more work, but it is the little details that can really make your builds stand out.  I have seen several builds where the builder uses ALL real parts, and even has the correct markings expertly duplicated, but they forgot to do the "ears" and/or leave the forging flash on 601 and 602 builds.  In my opinion, it is the last little details that make a good build into a GREAT build. Now, if you REALLY want attention to detail, like I do, you send your NoDak receivers to Braceman to have the rears correctly profiled.  I know, you might ask why not just start with 80% receivers and have Braceman reprofile them.  The answer is simple:  the NoDak receivers have forging flash, and NONE of the other 80% receivers have it.  And ALL M16 series of receivers other than 601 & 602's have forging flash.

Original Colt receiver:

Attachment Attached File

NoDak receiver:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

NoDak receiver that has been reprofiled by Braceman to more closely resemble an original receiver:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I guess it just depends how far you are willing to go to make it look "right"
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
yep, when he engraved the lower I had him reprofile it also. All my parts are time period correct Colt except moderator, (barrel is colt and already had the bayo lug off from factory but 1/7 twist), Gotta find me a set of takedown pins. Took me a while and lots of money but got everything else.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't know if you have mixed photos of several lowers here, but 2 of the pics are CLEARLY NOT A NODAK SPUD LOWER.

There is a Cerro forge code on the foot and at the buffer tube area you can see that it is a re-profiled A2.  
View Quote
Mike;

Sorry about that, and I have replied to Harlan's IM too.  I grabbed the wrong photos out of my photo library (dang little images) and have replaced them with the correct ones. I was not knocking your product, and am/have always been a loyal customer.  I was just pointing out that if anyone else is as anal about builds as I am, that the profiling on the rear of the receivers can be made more like originals.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top