Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2020 7:17:35 PM EDT
Does anyone know of any company that makes low profile, 5 round or smaller AR mags?  This will be going on a bolt action gun and I prefer the lower profile.  It comes with a 10 round P mag but was looking for shorter if anyone makes any besides the metal 5 round mags.  Its for a Ruger American Ranch
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know of 1....made by Promag.
View Quote
Oddly, my 5 round flush fit ProMag has never failed me, aside from a little external rust which was my fault.  I've had good luck w/ ProMag w/ 3 mags in 2 platforms.

Besides, if you have issues w/ a steel mag, you could send it to someone who Tig welds to fix it...

ProMag also makes a flush-fit steel 10 rounder.  Thermold makes near flush-fit 10 rounders.  The 10 round MagPul isn't flush but it's not very long.

ETA: the Magnetospeed folks sell a 3 rnd mag intended to fit in their pistol grip.  Which action, OP?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Never had any luck with Promag in pistol/AK/AR personally. Rarely hear any good out of other users either for that matter.

HERE is another option OP....zero idea on the who/what.
View Quote
Runs down ProMag.... Links to ProMag...  

ProMag is the Botach of magazine manufacturers.  B/c they turned out some crap years ago they still take shit - they wouldn't still be in business all these years if all their mags were as bad as folks say they are.  They're an OEM for CMMG.

I have 2 AR mags from them that work fine, and a 10 rnd 1911 mag that runs in a 1911 and in two HiPoints.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#8]
When I bought my first AR in 94(a Colt) it came with a 10 round mag with a plastic extended floorplate. the plastic part of the floorplate was removable and the mag would set up inside the magwell.
Looking at the side you could not tell there was a mag in the gun. This looks to be the same mag and may do the same thing. I can't see there being any mag shorter than this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I bought my first AR in 94(a Colt) it came with a 10 round mag with a plastic extended floorplate. the plastic part of the floorplate was removable and the mag would set up inside the magwell.
Looking at the side you could not tell there was a mag in the gun. This looks to be the same mag and may do the same thing. I can't see there being any mag shorter than this.
View Quote
The Magnetospeed is significantly shorter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:. This is from TWO MONTHS AGO....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LBWMJzXylY
View Quote
And yet they seemingly work fine in the CMMG.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not a 10 round Pmag?  They're pretty tiny.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just looked, Yes it is tiny
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“MagnetoSpeed products
The M-Series MiniMAG module is a fully functional 3-round magazine for the AR-15 that stores completely inside the M-Series Grip. The compact design allows the entire magazine body to be loaded into a standard AR-15 lower receiver and ejected with ease. Keep some specialty rounds stored in your grip and ready for hunting or home defense. Ideal for areas with ammunition restrictions or where a longer magazine sticking out from the magwell is inconvenient. Compatible ammunition types include 223Rem, 5.56NATO, and 300BLK.”
It is tiny but home defense
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
home defense. Ideal for areas with ammunition restrictions or where a longer magazine sticking out from the magwell is inconvenient. Compatible ammunition types include 223Rem, 5.56NATO, and 300BLK.”
It is tiny but home defense
View Quote
For their Swiss customers when 3 German burglars show up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The 10 rd Lancer sticks down @ an inch in front and about 1/2 in rear.
Any less and you wouldn't be able to get your finger tips on it to drag it out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh, you can even get the 3 rounder out, just reach through the ejection port.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Lancer makes a 5 round mag ifyou don't want a metal mag.

GUNMAG WAREHOUSE SEARCH HERE FOR AR15 5 ROUND MAGAZINES
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is how Okay makes their 10 rounder, a short metal body with a plastic ‘extension’ that acts as the floor plate and allows the legs of the follower to drop into it. I removed the plastic extension and used a std. flat metal floor plate for 6 rounds of capacity. You could cut the legs of the follower down for more capacity. This is what I use on my Ruger Ranch .300bo for a ‘flush’ mag. Hangs about a half inch below the stock.

The Magnetospeed is the only option shorter than that, 3 round capacity.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oddly, my 5 round flush fit ProMag has never failed me, aside from a little external rust which was my fault.  I've had good luck w/ ProMag w/ 3 mags in 2 platforms.

Besides, if you have issues w/ a steel mag, you could send it to someone who Tig welds to fix it...

ProMag also makes a flush-fit steel 10 rounder.  Thermold makes near flush-fit 10 rounders.  The 10 round MagPul isn't flush but it's not very long.

ETA: the Magnetospeed folks sell a 3 rnd mag intended to fit in their pistol grip.  Which action, OP?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know of 1....made by Promag.

I would have never believed it with their reputation, but my son says the Promags made for the H&K 93s are GTG. Much cheaper than the factory mags.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#20]
The Magnetospeed three-rounders are a fun concept. If you look at them from their left, you'll note the absence of a mag-catch cutout. It's because the thing is so short it shelves on top of the catch.

The reviews online are not positive. I might be wrong on this, but I believe the company has quietly stopped making this particular insert for their hidey-hold grip. I was curious to see the problem in person, though. I have a Core15 Hardcore lower which sports an abbreviated well. Since this was going to be a deer pistol in 300 AAC, and PA is particularly Fuddian, I thought having no mag sticking from the short well would be less SCAAAARRRRRY.

So, I bought a bunch of the MiniMags, and after looking at the first two it's clear why people are having issues. There's nothing strictly dimensionally wrong with these mags, despite some reviews. The reason comes mostly down to material selection. And the spring selection is probably at fault as well. But mainly the follower is visibly warped just from sitting in the package under tension. There's a reason mags aren't done in non-reinforced ABS (unless you're Kel-Tec). It's not that it couldn't have worked in this application. It's that the time wasn't taken to engineer it for longevity in this form factor with the plastic used.

A straight metal mag chopped down with the floor plate retention lugs reworked higher up the body and a 5-round spring is what I'll eventually try out in place of the MiniMag.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Notoriously bad for FN FiveseveN pistols and FN P90/PS90.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never had any luck with Promag in pistol/AK/AR personally.

Notoriously bad for FN FiveseveN pistols and FN P90/PS90.

Amazingly enough, they are reputed to run well in HK-93s and clones. Factory mags are pretty pricey, so my son picked up some cheap Promags for range use.

Surprise, they work very well. Don't know about longevity, but at the price it doesn't matter to him.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#23]
How are you with a soldering iron and a hacksaw?

I stuck a 20rd mag in my American Ranch and made a line to cut on. Cut it off and the bottom off where the floorplate locks on. I melted the sections together with a low watt soldering iron and sanded the inside transition smooth.
[/url]
Put rounds in the magazine without a floorplate and trimmed the follower where it stuck out.

Trimmed the 20rd spring down.

My modified mag holds 3rds 6.5 Grendel or 4rds 5.56 and still can be seated on a closed bolt. It could be cut down to be even more flush but would be less capacity. I might try some metal mags and the thinner floorplate would reduce overall length or increase capacity.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]
DPMS made a mag that was supposed to be 10 rounds. I had feed issues with that one mag I brought during the ban years. I had to get a modded green anti tilt follower to fit in there. It reduce the capacity to 7.

The reason who I am bring this mag up is that it is a flush fitting mag in the mag well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#25]
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/asc-223-5-56-ar-15-5-round-aluminum-magazine.html

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/lancer-l5-ar-15-223-5-56-5-round-advanced-warfighter-magazine.html

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-ar-15-223-5-56-5-round-flush-fit-blued-steel-magazine-col-21.html

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#26]
The C-Products/Duramag 5rnd 5.56 mag I just got sticks out the bottom of a standard AR lower just shy of 1" pretty evenly.

The 10 round P-Mag I have sticks out a similar amount.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top