Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2020 2:13:04 PM EDT
I have been looking into lightweight bcg, it seems like they are less reliable and others have said that the gas system in pistols is already more finnicky. Is this a bad idea? I planned to get an adjustable gas block, lightweight bcg. What kind of buffer weight/system would i need with for the pistol then?

More info- 5.56/.223, 10.5" barrel w/ carbine gas system.

Is it better to just stick with a normal bcg/buffer system? If I go this route is the adjustable gas block necessary?

Thanks for any insight yall can provide.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Range gun, do it.
Gun that may be something you depend on, don't do it.
2 Pennies
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Range gun, do it.
Gun that may be something you depend on, don't do it.
2 Pennies
View Quote

Would you suggest getting an adjustable block still with the normal bcg? Or is it not needed. Would hate to build the rifle and it doesn't cycle right or whatever, i guess the adjustable block is the safe bet, but also im sure its less reliable due to more places something can mess up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Would you suggest getting an adjustable block still with the normal bcg? Or is it not needed. Would hate to build the rifle and it doesn't cycle right or whatever, i guess the adjustable block is the safe bet, but also im sure its less reliable due to more places something can mess up.
View Quote
The adjustable gas block would be if you are over gassed. No harm at all in starting with one if wanted. I had a 7.5 (cheap barrel) that was way over-gassed and it was very nice dialing it down to failure then back up a notch for a perfect setup. For me on known reputable barrels I don't use them.

On the topic of the low mass BCG's, my buddy had one and used it a lot and it was on a 7.5 but he never used an adjustable gas block so it was a rough ride I am sure. If it is a range gun, a low mass bcg, adjustable gas block and super light trigger would be a lot of fun. Just too many variables for potential failures for me to use on anything duty wise. I am sure there are many that do use them like my friend. This is just my personal thoughts on it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you trying to accomplish with a lightened carrier? Less felt recoil or lightweight build?

If you go lightweight carrier you will need an AGB.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have been looking into lightweight bcg, it seems like they are less reliable and others have said that the gas system in pistols is already more finnicky. Is this a bad idea? I planned to get an adjustable gas block, lightweight bcg. What kind of buffer weight/system would i need with for the pistol then?

More info- 5.56/.223, 10.5" barrel w/ carbine gas system.

Is it better to just stick with a normal bcg/buffer system? If I go this route is the adjustable gas block necessary?

Thanks for any insight yall can provide.
View Quote

Not necessary, but i would recommend an adjustable gas block on any build in order to get it working as efficiently and cleanly as possible. It also pretty much eliminates any risk of incompatibility between buffer weights,big, spring etc and will give you the freedom to swap out components later on

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are you trying to accomplish with a lightened carrier? Less felt recoil or lightweight build?

If you go lightweight carrier you will need an AGB.
View Quote

Gotcha. I just wasnt sure how reliable the AGBs were. Does the adjustment change overtime, etc.
It sounds like the best bet is to get a AGB regardlesd though.

Im trying to accompish less felt recoil and a lighter build. I know a lighter build will result in more recoil, but where i can make improvements in that dept without losing too much performance/reliability id like to.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Gotcha. I just wasnt sure how reliable the AGBs were. Does the adjustment change overtime, etc.

Im trying to accompish less felt recoil and a lighter build. I know a lighter build will result in more recoil, but where i can make improvements in that dept without losing too much performance/reliability id like to.
View Quote
Your safest path in this is an adjustable gas block or tune with buffers. Adjustable gas blocks stay where you put them, many have a locking set screw or detent. After a large amount of shooting you may need to clean the carbon from it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Carbon build up occurs on the threads of the adjustment screws and they will seize up if you don't clean regularly. Just some Hoppe's #9 or other solvent while cleaning the barrel should do it. Back out the screws and reset them after getting some solvent in the open ports and on the threads. If you don't plan on adjusting them, you can just leave it alone, but then their not adjustable anymore...

If you have an over gassed gun you may need one just to compensate. I have a 8.5" 300blk pistol with a 0.125" gas port. WTF KAK was thinking I have no clue. I had to put an AGB on it in the beginning because of the huge port size. What it allows me to do though is to load some very light loads that will still cycle the bolt. I just have to open up the AGB. It's like shooting a BB gun with those loads.  

I have a 10.5" 223 wylde with a full auto carrier, standard spring, std car buffer and no arm brace. Reliable with any ammo I run through it. Comfortable to shoot. No AGB.

Also have a 16" lighter weight rifle in 223 Wylde. Changed the receiver extension tube to an A5 with a Tubbs spring and Kynshot RB5007 buffer. Recoil is much reduced compared to what it was before. When I pull the trigger, I don't loose sight of the target in the scope anymore. No AGB and full auto carrier. This set up adds 3-4 ounces with the longer tube and the hydraulic buffer. It actually helps make it balance better with the lightweight Minimalist stock I put on it.    

I have all the parts to put a A1 rifle tube with a RB5007 buffer, Tubbs spring and spacer on the 8.5" 300blk pistol to see how much it tames down full power loads. The AGB doesn't seem to make very much difference on it's own. I just need to add a set screw to cover the rear take down pin detent hole because of using a rifle receiver extension which eliminates the rear cover plate.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#9]
light buffer, heavy spring
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top