Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2020 6:11:02 PM EDT
Getting some short stroking, couldn’t figure out why then I noticed carbon fouling out the front of the gas block.  Block is pinned and tight but either out of spec block or barrel.

Any creative ideas on how to fill in the loose tolerance?  I have access to most tools. My knee jerk was to weld it shut quick but there’s got to be a less dramatic solution.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The easiest thing to do in my opinion would be to remove the gas block and replace it, could also break out the calipers and see if the barrel diameter is undersized or if the gas block is oversize and replace whichever one needs replaced and look for any other problem indicators like excessive gas port erosion. Parts make? Any pics? Is this a homebrew or do you have a factory gun/upper that you might be able to get support for?

Removing the gas block won’t be hard if you have some punches, a decent weight hammer, a block to punch the pin(s) into/support the barrel and gas block, you can make a gas block/front sight block removal support pretty quick out of 2x4 scraps too, suggest wrapping the upper receiver in a towel or something soft while you drive the pin out or remove it if you go that route and have the tools needed already.  

As far as creative solutions for reusing the block or barrel whichever is the problematic part I’m out of idea’s, I realize that it would be a pain to have to shell out cash on a new barrel or gb but not sure how else you would seal it properly.
Could be a good excuse for a rebuild/new look!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Locktite green - it creeps into the cracks. not too much and shoot the gun when you do it to make sure the hole stays clear.

What it doesn't seal up the carbon will seal up eventually.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Getting some short stroking, couldn’t figure out why then I noticed carbon fouling out the front of the gas block.  Block is pinned and tight but either out of spec block or barrel.

Any creative ideas on how to fill in the loose tolerance?  I have access to most tools. My knee jerk was to weld it shut quick but there’s got to be a less dramatic solution.

Thanks
View Quote

JMHO, if the tolerances are "close enough", the observed "carbon fouling" itself will eventually seal the leaks.  i.e. shoot it some more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting some short stroking, couldn’t figure out why then I noticed carbon fouling out the front of the gas block

Since it's short stroking waiting for carbon to seal it is pointless.

Either replace the GB or seal it with retaining compound.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
What ammo is short stroking? If the gas block is properly aligned it should work 100%.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Try some of that HVAC duct work aluminum tape, I wonder if you could put a very thin layer around the  gas port and slide the gas block over that?  That would mean you have a big size difference.  I think they make different thicknesses of that aluminum tape.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I could buy a new barrel and gas block but this is a beater rifle, fixing it is more of something to do.

I thought the same thing- just shoot it until it closes itself up but I put around 100 rounds through it to no avail.

Maybe JB weld?  I'm skeptical any bonding compounds will hold- seems like the intense pressure will just blast it right off.  This is why my mind initially went to weld / stake the gas block/barrel area where the carbon fouling is most prominent.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
When you blow air down the gas tube do you feel air coming out of the barrel? You should feel a very strong flow of air coming in.

My thought is the gas block isn't aligned and the excessive carbon you see is the result of carbon blowing out from where it is being blocked (path of least resistance).
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could buy a new barrel and gas block but this is a beater rifle, fixing it is more of something to do.

I thought the same thing- just shoot it until it closes itself up but I put around 100 rounds through it to no avail.

Maybe JB weld?  I'm skeptical any bonding compounds will hold- seems like the intense pressure will just blast it right off.  This is why my mind initially went to weld / stake the gas block/barrel area where the carbon fouling is most prominent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You got the answer 5 posts above!

Quoted:
Locktite green - it creeps into the cracks.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]
While i agree that eventually carbon should plug the gap, and loctite will plug the gap now, I'd be more concerned about the gas block being in spec, the gas block journal being in spec, the gas block being properly aligned, the gas key being properly torqued, the ammo isn't shitty, the spring is standard weight and the buffer is standard carbine or rifle weight. I'd also want to inspect magazines and also note if this happens on first round of fully loaded magazines only or more often than not. I just don't see the point in sealing up an underlying problem.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
@d5griffin ...A few quick questions:
Can you post a photo?

Who makes the barrel?

Did you put a caliper on the gas block journal?

Did you confirm you have the right size gas block before assembly?

What's the barrel length?

Any idea on your port size

Who makes your gas block?

What material is the gas block manufactured from?

Did you align the gas block with the gas port before you tightened it down?

What ammo are you shooting?

What recoil spring, buffer and bolt carrier group are you using?

What mags are you using?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you post a photo?

Who makes the barrel?

What mags are you using?
View Quote

I appreciate the thorough nature but I don’t have a ton of answers.

Tac swap No-name barrel, GB no idea, found in parts bin.

Again I have plenty of ARs, this is an academic exercise.

Will try green loctite and report back, not sure when I’ll have time for range though
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#14]
NVM, not relevant.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Will try green loctite and report back, not sure when I’ll have time for range though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you post a photo?

Who makes the barrel?

What mags are you using?

Once you put that block on with green Loctite, you're not getting it off without a whole lot of heat. I would start by making sure the gas block and the port are aligned correctly. Some barrels are made for a low-pro gas block to set up against the shoulder, and others are made for the block to set off the shoulder 1/10" or so. The easiest way to do it is to make sure the port hole in the block lines up with the rear set screw hole. If it does, flip the block over and center the set screw hole over the gas port in the barrel. Mark the barrel where the front of the block is, flip the block back over, and lock it down.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you sure it’s not the gas key on the bcg or something else.  If the block is the correct size and centered over the gas port the problem may be elsewhere
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top