Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2021 9:33:37 PM EDT
So as the title says I'm looking for a new AR15

Originally I was looking at a AR Pistol for home defense, but I changed my mind today after going back to a local store and handling several again.

As a note I have several handguns/ rifles and a Springfield Saint with vortex 1-6x
so I am not new to firearms

I know my budget of $1500 is half way decent, I don't mind selling my saint to offset the cost of the new purchase

Purpose: home defense/ fun at the range (when ammo is available)

I shoot lefty (right-handed )
Ambi controls would be nice but not a requirement

Brands I've checked out
Faxon Ultralight fx5500 (under 5lb weight?!) around $1500
Daniel Defense even though they are over budget
Troy, Windham, Radical

Which other brands or models are worth looking into?

What are y'all's home defense setup?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
What’s wrong with the saint? Just curious why you feel it’s not good to go?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing is wrong with my saint

Works 100% perfectly and reliably :)

this is just a case of me wanting a new rifle and potentially selling one rifle IF I find another one that is above budget that I absolutely love.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I franken gun most of my stuff, but based on my experience with working for an FFL I can think of a few brands I would go with without question.

If you don't want to sell the Saint;
Windham (Get one with a chrome lined bore)
BG Defense (Stay away from their adjustable gas and piston guns)
Sig M400

If you could only have one rifle to last til the end of earth;
Daniel Defense
LMT
Barret REC7 (piston driven)
HK
Sig MCX (not an AR but close enough)
There are better out there like KAC and Noveske, but you are really starting to pay for a name with them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't sell the Saint.

Buy or Build another AR.

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What’s wrong with the saint? Just curious why you feel it’s not good to go?
View Quote

My first thought.  I love my victor saint AR10.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't sell the Saint.

Buy or Build another AR.

View Quote

This.  Set up the Saint as the HD rifle with a red dot.  Decide what will be fun at the range.  Build that rifle.

Personally, I like having at least one rifle in the safe set up how I want that’s zeroed with quality HD ammunition and has been shot enough for me to know it’s reliable, but otherwise I don’t monkey around with it.  

Then there’s the project rifle where I’ll tinker around with it between range trips.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not in love with the Saint as a package, but I agree that there's certainly nothing wrong with it and some upgrades could make it great. In fact, my old agency chose the Victor Saint SBR as their SWAT issued rifle. That being said, if you NEED a new rifle, I would go with something that fills a different niche. I would personally go with a PWS piston system or one of the other nice piston systems with adjustable gas blocks.
Knowing more about what you're looking for would be helpful.
Have you considered a 300 blackout in an 8" or 10" configuration? That would be a nice compliment, especially if your Saint is a 16" rifle
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Geissele blem super duty is $1500 and in stock right now
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#10]
^^^^

This would be a great choice.

Brownells also has a 10.3" Daniel Defense MK18 upper for $900.  You will have to add your own charging handle, bolt carrier group and flash hider/muzzle brake.  Build your own lower with an AeroPrecision/Spikes/PSA receiver, lower parts kit, LaRue MBT trigger and pistol brace and you're going to have a fantastic gun.  Haven't really added up the cost, but I suspect if you shop around and can find some of these parts on sale you can build a complete rifle for around $1500.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top