Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2022 9:15:19 PM EDT
Hey all.

I'm not new to ARs, but it's been awhile since I've bought any factory built ones. I have some old colts, yes le prefix ones, 1 nib and one that's been shot quite a bit and also some "lesser" brands that have served me well also. All are used for plinking, obviously not a real test of durability and longevity. This will seem like a retarded question and I'm sure boring/infuriating to some, but I really am not finding much concrete information regarding complete factory built ars available today, so here goes...

I know companies like DD and LMT build factory rifles that are better than "TDP" or whatever, but are there any manufacturers that make a +/- 1000 dollar product at this time that are as tough and awesome as my old 2010ish colt m4? I've read a lot about how colt does not manufacture/assemble rifles as they used to and there's not much real info out there about quality of materials and assembly now, so I bought one and it kind of looks like an aero precision carbine or something, not like my old m4. I have a bunch of kids and another on the way and I want to purchase some heirloom quality ars to long term store for them for them.... with all the bullshit going down right now, I feel like that could be a really good investment for them down the road should shit pan out the way I'm thinking it could ("gun control," mass immigration, retarded inflation, ridiculous crime, other uncertainties.) What say ye? Bcm mod 0? FN15? My old colt is kind of ugly built but it feels awesome to shoot and I trust it more than the others after doing some crazy shit with it. Just wish I had like 4 or 5 more...
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey all.

I'm not new to ARs, but it's been awhile since I've bought any factory built ones. I have some old colts, yes le prefix ones, 1 nib and one that's been shot quite a bit and also some "lesser" brands that have served me well also. All are used for plinking, obviously not a real test of durability and longevity. This will seem like a retarded question and I'm sure boring/infuriating to some, but I really am not finding much concrete information regarding complete factory built ars available today, so here goes...

I know companies like DD and LMT build factory rifles that are better than "TDP" or whatever, but are there any manufacturers that make a +/- 1000 dollar product at this time that are as tough and awesome as my old 2010ish colt m4? I've read a lot about how colt does not manufacture/assemble rifles as they used to and there's not much real info out there about quality of materials and assembly now, so I bought one and it kind of looks like an aero precision carbine or something, not like my old m4. I have a bunch of kids and another on the way and I want to purchase some heirloom quality ars to long term store for them for them.... with all the bullshit going down right now, I feel like that could be a really good investment for them down the road should shit pan out the way I'm thinking it could ("gun control," mass immigration, retarded inflation, ridiculous crime, other uncertainties.) What say ye? Bcm mod 0? FN15? My old colt is kind of ugly built but it feels awesome to shoot and I trust it more than the others after doing some crazy shit with it. Just wish I had like 4 or 5 more...
View Quote

Colt!
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
BCM is one of the few around that price.  Most seem to be around $1200... Centurion, DD, LMT, Scionics...
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy them land instead
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
For heirloom, I'd go with Colt, BCM, FN or DD.

For something that works very well and good costs, go with the PSA Premium line. PSA is now a manufacturer and not just an assembler. They also offer lifetime warranty on their rifles.

Delton used to be very good quality, but don't hear about them anymore.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt,BCM,FN, DD,LMT should all be good options
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions and aadvice. I'm closing on some land soon which will clean my savings out... that's why I'm trying to buy a few guns to put up for the kids also, somewhat on a budget. While we're still authorized to do anyway. Making good money now but that could change any day. I have shot many a psa 250 dollar rifle kits built on 50 dollar Anderson lowers and all of them that I've seen have worked well. I'll take pics of my old colt compared to my new one if you're interested, they definitely look different.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I would save my pennies and buy Colts.

I bought my first Colt in 1984 and my last one about 30 days ago.  Frankly, even with the CZ buy out "non Colt marked parts" panic the new guns are miles ahead of the much vaunted (and over rated) 1980s / 1990s / early 2000s Colts.  I have shot TENS OF THOUSANDS (most likely very far north of 100k) of rounds through Colt rifles over the years and probably 5k through a CR "CARBINE" marked current production M4 over the past 4-5 months.  They all shot the same.  Great. They all functioned the same. Perfect.

We are all in different places in our lives financially, but I would rather have one new production CR Colt than two PSA kit guns.  For reference, I have owned A SIGNIFICANT number of PSA guns.  I do not own one now, and will never own one again.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Colt,BCM,FN, DD,LMT should all be good options
View Quote

Apart from FN I agree.

This is how I rate AR15s and the only manufacturers I will own:

1st ... LMT (as long as it is the MRP and/or MARS-H monolithic models)
2nd ... KAC
(space between 2nd and 3rd place intentional as there is a HUGE gap between these) 3rd ... Colt
(space intentional for same reason listed above) 4th ... BCM or DD (BCM installs trigger guards and uses metal dust covers but DD makes its own barrels)

I couldn't begin to tell you how many different models and brands of ARs I've owned over the years, but the above rifles will serve you very well.  Its like insurance.  Do you shop on price or coverage?  Guns are sort of the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would save my pennies and buy Colts.

I bought my first Colt in 1984 and my last one about 30 days ago.  Frankly, even with the CZ buy out "non Colt marked parts" panic the new guns are miles ahead of the much vaunted (and over rated) 1980s / 1990s / early 2000s Colts.  I have shot TENS OF THOUSANDS (most likely very far north of 100k) of rounds through Colt rifles over the years and probably 5k through a CR "CARBINE" marked current production M4 over the past 4-5 months.  They all shot the same.  Great. They all functioned the same. Perfect.

We are all in different places in our lives financially, but I would rather have one new production CR Colt than two PSA kit guns.  For reference, I have owned A SIGNIFICANT number of PSA guns.  I do not own one now, and will never own one again.
View Quote

I appreciate the first hand experience and advice. I doubt I've even put 2k through any one rifle... ammo prices and time and other excuses. This and your next post are fairly reassuring.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Colt!
View Quote
FPNI and all.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Colt!
View Quote

Colt 6960 Mid gas LW bbl
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top