Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2018 7:56:29 PM EDT
Stealing the red dot off of a current rifle for my new pistol build. Looking at PA 1-6 and Vortex stike eagle 1-6. Price is almost identical any pros or cons vs the two appreciated. Rifle is a 16” middy BA barrel, mainly range use but well trusted if it needed to serve other purposes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Stealing the red dot off of a current rifle for my new pistol build. Looking at PA 1-6 and Vortex stike eagle 1-6. Price is almost identical any pros or cons vs the two appreciated. Rifle is a 16” middy BA barrel, mainly range use but well trusted if it needed to serve other purposes.
View Quote
PA Red Dots are very well made.  PA has an art to building good stuff at an affordable price.  The PA 1-6x scope with ACSS reticle rocks.  Solid quality, at least a notch or two ahead of a Strike Eagle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have, and do use RDs from both companies and been happy with them. This will be my first 1-6 adventure. Both seem comparable on paper guess the real question is, is there something that makes one stand out or is it more a pick which retical you prefer and go for it situation.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have, and do use RDs from both companies and been happy with them. This will be my first 1-6 adventure. Both seem comparable on paper guess the real question is, is there something that makes one stand out or is it more a pick which retical you prefer and go for it situation.
View Quote
I would suggest you look through the reticles and see which you feel has a) a clearer image and b) tighter narrower stadia lines.  Pick that one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got to be missing something. All of these VPOs are struggling to have a day time bright illuminated reticle. Further, none of them have a battery life that lasts more than a day at full brightness. What gives?

Industry figured out that red dots with a 5 year battery life and rugged design will sell hard and fast. But theses VPOs seem designed for the 3 gun community where the reticle gets turned on before a stage and spare batteries are sitting in a range bag. Don’t even get me going about the weight of these things. Holy smokes.

The only VPO that seems prepared to tackle Murphy’s law and transitions from day to night without any adjustments is the Trijicon Accupoint series. Do any VPOs have a Illuminator on par with a Aimpoint or RMR battery life?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently purchased a Strike Eagle and it’s outstanding. I currently have it mounted to my PTR91 in a Vortex mount. I’d much rather have a LaRue mount but that will have to wait. Great performance out to 200yds. I haven’t had the chance to shoot further but will soon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]
My vote is for PA. Have a few of their RDS and a one of their scopes. Full disclosure, the scope isn’t a 1-x LPV. Instead it’s a 4-14x, FFP, with an illuminated ACSS reticle. An all around outstanding scope. The glass is crystal clear, adjustments are positive and tactile.

I also REALLY love the ACSS reticle. I know they have a few different versions, and some may look a bit cluttered at first glance. With hands on use, the ACSS is extremely easy to work with and presents in a very utilitarian fashion. Every element that comprises the reticle effectively serves its purpose.

In regards to the general comments about daylight brightness and battery life for most scopes, I don't personally have issues with either. My 4-14x from PA is plenty bright for daytime shooting. However, I prefer not to use illumination; outside of low-light shooting. Which makes battery life a less significant concern.

Now, I accept that going the LPV route, to take the place of a RDS, could change that preference. I love the set it and forget it capability that comes with modern RDS choices offering 10s of thousands of hours of battery life. For a primarily defensive setup, reliable and constant illumination is a much higher priority. Messing with buttons or knobs isn’t the end of the world, but it’s not ideal. Assuming the PA 1-x options share the same features as their higher power scopes, the nice thing is that every other notch on the brightness adjustment is an “on” setting. So, it’s not all that much different than powering up a RDS. If it’s off, a turn in either direction turns it on. And vice versa.

Part of it will come down to your personal preference with reticles and features. Either way, I don’t think you’ll be unhappy with either option you’re considering.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the opinions,  given me some food for thought. Seems people are very happy with both. I’ve been a RDs guy for quite a while and HD gun will remain that way. Just looking to try something new (to me). Guess I need to get  hands on with both and see which looks better to my eye
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got to be missing something. All of these VPOs are struggling to have a day time bright illuminated reticle. Further, none of them have a battery life that lasts more than a day at full brightness. What gives?

Industry figured out that red dots with a 5 year battery life and rugged design will sell hard and fast. But theses VPOs seem designed for the 3 gun community where the reticle gets turned on before a stage and spare batteries are sitting in a range bag. Don't even get me going about the weight of these things. Holy smokes.

The only VPO that seems prepared to tackle Murphy's law and transitions from day to night without any adjustments is the Trijicon Accupoint series. Do any VPOs have a Illuminator on par with a Aimpoint or RMR battery life?
View Quote
I've left my Vortex Viper PST gen2 1-6 on for at least a day in the safe and it's definitely daylight bright.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think you can go wrong either way, I have 2 of the Strike Eagle 1-6x scopes and 2 of their Viper PST scopes. Never had any issues with any of them. The Vortex warranty is second to none.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I understand vortex razor and similar scopes that illuminate just the center dot use a small fiber optic that runs along the reticle. Scopes that illuminate  more of the reticle reflect light off the surface of the reticle. I prefer the center dot illumination because it generally brighter than the whole reticle illumination. That being said if a scope manufacturer uses the long battery life led system that holoson or aimpoint use and run it through a fiber optic reticle just for the center dot I wonder how bright it would be. US optics discontinued s4rc had a battery life of 10k hours and the dot was plenty bright. I know people who have taped micro lights onto accupoint to make the reticle brighter under all conditions. I think fiber optic is the future for daytime bright illumination with long Battery life in lpvo. I love the features of the acss reticle but I also love having cross hair reticle for faster shots as It draws your eye in the center. Maybe a cross hair acss hybrid without the donut and center dot fiber optic illumination?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not an optical engineer but I did have a long conversation with one about this very issue recently. I'll try to pass along a bit of what I remember and hopefully not get it wrong.

When you are looking at a 2 MOA microdot, you are looking at light from a tiny little LED that is reflecting off of a coating from an interior lens. The coating is fancy (that's a technical term!) in that light can pass through it from the front, but light that hits it from the rear gets reflected back. The LED light source is really close to the piece of glass with the coating because the microdot is so small, so it doesn't have to be really powerful. It can be relatively dim and still reflect nicely and give you a bright dot in that tiny little package. So, for example, our microdots are rated at 50,000 hours battery life.

Now, if you take essentially the same tech and scale it up even a little in size, things change pretty dramatically. In our 30mm full size red dot, now the light from the LED has to reach further and reflect off a larger piece of glass but still be a sharp and tight 2 MOA. This requires a more powerful LED emitter, with the result that the full size unit is only rated at 14,000 hours battery life. That's a giant drop from a small red dot to a larger red dot simply due to the scale. If you get even bigger and want to throw enough light to project a more complex reticle with hologram technology, it gets worse. EOtech EXPS-2 is rated at just 600 hours from a honking big CR123 battery.

Now, when we get to LVPO optics, everything changes again. Speaking just for PA and our current line of optics, we aren't projecting a dot to bounce off reflective glass. Instead we have to bounce a LOT of light off of laser etching which is normally viewed as black. Imagine taking a wall that's painted black and shining a red light on it so brightly that the black wall reflects the light and appears to be a red wall instead. How much light would it take to make the black wall look "daylight bright" for a shooter in the Arizona sun shooting at white steel torso targets? A BUNCH of light, and a bunch of battery draw. One of the biggest gripes about our LPVOs is that the illumination isn't bright enough in daylight, yet we only rate ours at 250 hours at a medium setting.

Other manufacturers have come up with setups that offer daylight bright illumination basically adapting the red dot technology to their LVPO units. The Razor 1-6x is a great example of this. Super bright center dot on that unit, it's great, but they aren't really illuminating the reticle, they are adding a red dot to your LPVO. It's wonderfully bright and a big part of why that scope is worth $1400. But even then, Vortex only rates it at 150-250 hours battery life. So even at a higher price point, this is just all that current technology can do.

Anyone who can come up with a solution to this issue, we would just love to hire you and pay you well to help us out with it.
View Quote
Damn Mike great explanation as always.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not an optical engineer but I did have a long conversation with one about this very issue recently. I'll try to pass along a bit of what I remember and hopefully not get it wrong.

When you are looking at a 2 MOA microdot, you are looking at light from a tiny little LED that is reflecting off of a coating from an interior lens. The coating is fancy (that's a technical term!) in that light can pass through it from the front, but light that hits it from the rear gets reflected back. The LED light source is really close to the piece of glass with the coating because the microdot is so small, so it doesn't have to be really powerful. It can be relatively dim and still reflect nicely and give you a bright dot in that tiny little package. So, for example, our microdots are rated at 50,000 hours battery life.

Now, if you take essentially the same tech and scale it up even a little in size, things change pretty dramatically. In our 30mm full size red dot, now the light from the LED has to reach further and reflect off a larger piece of glass but still be a sharp and tight 2 MOA. This requires a more powerful LED emitter, with the result that the full size unit is only rated at 14,000 hours battery life. That's a giant drop from a small red dot to a larger red dot simply due to the scale. If you get even bigger and want to throw enough light to project a more complex reticle with hologram technology, it gets worse. EOtech EXPS-2 is rated at just 600 hours from a honking big CR123 battery.

Now, when we get to LVPO optics, everything changes again. Speaking just for PA and our current line of optics, we aren't projecting a dot to bounce off reflective glass. Instead we have to bounce a LOT of light off of laser etching which is normally viewed as black. Imagine taking a wall that's painted black and shining a red light on it so brightly that the black wall reflects the light and appears to be a red wall instead. How much light would it take to make the black wall look "daylight bright" for a shooter in the Arizona sun shooting at white steel torso targets? A BUNCH of light, and a bunch of battery draw. One of the biggest gripes about our LPVOs is that the illumination isn't bright enough in daylight, yet we only rate ours at 250 hours at a medium setting.

Other manufacturers have come up with setups that offer daylight bright illumination basically adapting the red dot technology to their LVPO units. The Razor 1-6x is a great example of this. Super bright center dot on that unit, it's great, but they aren't really illuminating the reticle, they are adding a red dot to your LPVO. It's wonderfully bright and a big part of why that scope is worth $1400. But even then, Vortex only rates it at 150-250 hours battery life. So even at a higher price point, this is just all that current technology can do.

Anyone who can come up with a solution to this issue, we would just love to hire you and pay you well to help us out with it.
View Quote
Great insight.
Question though, how does US Optics get 8000-10000 hours battery life on their dual focal plane LPVOs?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the Steiner P4xi and I really like its uncluttered reticle. I recently bought the PA red dot for my son-in-law and I was greatly impressed with its quality and function. I own a T2 so I have a firm basis to compare against, and the PA red dot is a steal at its price. My next scope will more than likely be the Viper PST Gen II milrad reticle. I really like the simplified uncluttered reticle and I have read nothing but great things about this scope. Both companies have a fantastic warranty and make very good products, luckily this is one instance where I do not think that you can make a wrong choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. *fist bumps Vortex across the internets*

My advice is, go with the reticle that suits you best. Both companies strive to do a good job of taking care of the customer and both of these optics have made a lot of shooters happy. Vortex is a competitor of course but we have absolute respect for them.
View Quote
Right on

I know both these companies don't want it toot their own horn, so I will! Toot toot!

I have dealt with each one's customer service and they are above and beyond top-notch!

OP, take your pick on what reticle you like and pick that one. Then all that's left is to buy a mount.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a PA ACSS and like it a lot. It's plenty bright for the terrain common around my AO. My astigamatism got to bad to shoot the T1 I had previously accurately. It was fine for close range but the dot looked like a comet.

I don't think the entire reticle needs to be illuminated, just the halo and dot. I'd be happy if the scope had a ACSS MRD mounted behind it. Or one sitting in front like NV. I'd be fine having to zero two separate reticles like a Shepard scope in exchange for a year of battery life.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top