Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2021 4:38:01 PM EDT
I really wanted the POF Revolution DI, but there are too many negative reviews out there. Still, would like to find a small frame for $2500 or under.

So far, looking at the Sig Tread, the Savage MSR10, and the Springfield Saint Victor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak to the others, but my Savage MSR has been awesome. Definitely worth it imho.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have only shot 300rds 460rds of various match and premium hunting .308 along with some 7.62 M80 ball through my SIG716I but not a single issue thus far. In fact for the price I'd bet its one of the better built and equipped, reliable AR-10 type rifles in .308 especially for the price. Now I'm not claiming its a better rifle or more accurate than a KAC SR-25, LMT MWS or a LaRue OBR but from what I've read, many feel its alot of rifle for the price and its accurate. I just picked mine up a few months back and it is my favorite rifle. The build quality and finish are amazing. It's a very solidly built rifle.

Not that it weighs heavily but India just purchased 144,000 units of this rifle for their military. Its been heavily tested and its possibly been in direct combat at this point and there have been no poor reports.
Here's a video of a 280yd 10" steel plate at a 29° slope angle I went 8-11 on. I knew instantly why I missed and it wasn't the rifle. The 716I is a capable rifle and it is assisting me has I learn to become a more precise shooter.
SIG 716I TREAD 7.62x51 Prone Supported

Attachment Attached File

Edited to correct round count.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Still a lot of reading to do, but I believe the Sig is almost a full pound heavier than the Savage. Not the end of the world, just a consideration.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Gen 2 .260 Remington barrel if anyone wants it.  I’ll let it go cheap.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still a lot of reading to do, but I believe the Sig is almost a full pound heavier than the Savage. Not the end of the world, just a consideration.
View Quote

Apologies for writing like I talk. Brevity wasn't my strong point unless money is to be made. This is a passion so I get a little excited!
I took a look at the Savage website and it looks like the slimmed down upper/lower profile is what provides much of that weight loss. Does it have a pencil barrel like the Springfield to lighten it up? I know the Springfield doesn't have rifle length gas. Then again the Sig is built to be a battle rifle and has a heavier profiled barrel intended for select fire combat usage. It was purposely built up for the Indian Army. At 8.6lbs 8.5lbs, I get it, mine weighs 12.5lbs with a loaded 20rd mag as pictured with scope, bipod, MVG, etc. It's definitely not a novelty 7.62 IMO, and if built up isn't the desired function I too would pass. I wanted a quality built heavier barreled rifle for rapid fire. The rifle length gas makes it such a smooth shooter and the BCG is a well crafted beast with a bolt that has 2 ejectors similar to some of the upper end offerings.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Edited to correct weight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#6]
POF Rogue.

I changed mine to a Superlative Arms piston and modified it a bunch, but I loved it before and after the modifications.  Although it is now sub 7.5 lbs with a 1-8 LPVO and a 15" handguard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Like I said in the OP, I won't go with POF, even when I wanted to. The Rogue had more problems that the Revolution in the reviews I read.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Like I said in the OP, I won't go with POF, even when I wanted to. The Rogue had more problems that the Revolution in the reviews I read.
View Quote

What problems/reviews are you reading?

I'm a loooong time 308 AR guy, and have owned almost all the different 308 variants at one time or another. I currently have home build Aero, POF, DPMS Gen2, and a few others.

Only problem I experienced with my POF Revolution DI is when I swapped to a heavier buffer to reduce some recoil when suppressed, and I started having failures to feed/eject, etc. Went back to the factory buffer and all has been fine. Have around 3-400 rounds through it.

The Sig is heavy for what it is, and I found they didn't balance well, making them feel heavier.

I do think the DPMS Gen2 is the smoothest out of them, light, and has been problem free as well, despite me not liking the carbine gas on a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]I do think the DPMS Gen2 is the smoothest out of them, light, and has been problem free as well, despite me not liking the carbine gas on a 16" barrel.
View Quote

I have a couple DPMS gen2 and your version, carbine gas, was the harshest.  I swapped in an 18" intermediate gas and it was smoooth with an H2 buffer and adjustable gas.  I'm now building a 16" rifle gas.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just got a Rogue - plan to sight it in this weekend. I bought a Pof adj gas block which I may attempt this weekend..going to shoot it as is first.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Do small frame 308s even work????
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What problems/reviews are you reading?
-snip-
Only problem I experienced with my POF Revolution DI is when I swapped to a heavier buffer to reduce some recoil when suppressed, and I started having failures to feed/eject, etc. Went back to the factory buffer and all has been fine. Have around 3-400 rounds through it.
-snip-
View Quote

Some of the Rogues had extraction issues, throat issues, chambering. Same on a couple of reports on the Revolution. They also stated that CS was pretty poor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My rogue is good. I needed to switch to an adjustable gas block to shoot suppressed.

Trouble is, outside of POF, your options for current-production small frame 308s is pretty slim at any price point.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My rogue is good. I needed to switch to an adjustable gas block to shoot suppressed.

Trouble is, outside of POF, your options for current-production small frame 308s is pretty slim at any price point.
View Quote

In addition, try adding a strike industries flatwire 308 spring and a cozad 3oz buffer and it feels like a 556. Super nice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You didn't say you want to avoid POF in your OP.

Also, I don't agree with this statement. Rogue has less issues then the initial run of the Revolution. I personally haven't heard anything bad about it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a mega SF10, and its great.

18 inch, rifle gas

Super smooth. So far about 800rds of surplus SA stuff and some 175gr FGMM

Have several full size megas and a G2 plus the PX10 zombie rifle I resurrected into a 22inch 6.5creed prs thumper.

G2 or any of the clones work well

Mega works better, get a Zev small frame if you can't find a mega. Same thing, different roll mark.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Against my better judgment, I think I'm going to give the POF Revolution DI a try. It really is everything I want in a small frame .308 rifle. Well, a bit more money, but then I have to look at what I would want to change to begin with. That's probably about the same. Just hope I get a good one.

Now, to research optics...
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I have PSA Gen 3. Shot about 700rds with a can 100% gtg.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Tavor 7 has entered the chat. Amazing gun for $1990
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Skip "small frame"... if you're budget is $2.5k you can easily be on the hunt for a Tavor 7 or MDR.  Little different build philosophies, but even in this market, $2500 can get you one if you hunt around and have cash ready.

Once I got my Tavor 7 last fall, literally all of my .308 ARs were on the chopping block the next week. 20" and 12" uppers alike.  None of them handled or carried like the Tavor.  Even the 12" 308s felt more front heavy and had significantly more blast.  Best thing is the selectable gas block means no more carrying extra buffers and making AR adjutments at the range. The Tavor is definately one of the 3 long guns that gets tossed in the trunk when it's time to bugout someday.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Skip "small frame"... if you're budget is $2.5k you can easily be on the hunt for a Tavor 7 or MDR.  Little different build philosophies, but even in this market, $2500 can get you one if you hunt around and have cash ready.

Once I got my Tavor 7 last fall, literally all of my .308 ARs were on the chopping block the next week. 20" and 12" uppers alike.  None of them handled or carried like the Tavor.  Even the 12" 308s felt more front heavy and had significantly more blast.  Best thing is the selectable gas block means no more carrying extra buffers and making AR adjutments at the range. The Tavor is definately one of the 3 long guns that gets tossed in the trunk when it's time to bugout someday.
View Quote

I have an MDR 308 and 556 conversion. 556 is far superior and 308 struggles with ammo type. I have a lot of popped primers with the 308 and 7.62x51 ammo. It's also the heaviest forearm I own in 16" configuration in 556 or 308. It's weirdly balanced vs the Tavor I have.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have an MDR 308 and 556 conversion. 556 is far superior and 308 struggles with ammo type. I have a lot of popped primers with the 308 and 7.62x51 ammo. It's also the heaviest forearm I own in 16" configuration in 556 or 308. It's weirdly balanced vs the Tavor I have.
View Quote

Interesting. I haven't heard fo the issues with the MDR. I guess go with Tavor 7 then.  

Mine struggled with milsurp and russain shit (basically berdan primers). They focused too much on making a nice and light bullpup trigger (and did a good job) but then also went full- and put a FP spring on it too so harder primer ignition is spotty.  I got tired of only feeding it XM80 and commercial .308 (since my stash has a bunch milsurp in it) so I pulled the firing pin spring out and it's been better.  I figured if the issued tavors don't have FP springs... mine doesn't either.

And no, tavor 7 is not "light" despite it's stature at 9LB unloaded without optics.  But it legitimately carries and handles like a rifle 2/3rds it's weight.  I kept it light with a simple Leupold VX6 in simple rings (their scopes are notoriously light). Even with a mid-sized can on it putting it in the mid 11 LB range it handled and carries better than my 7-8LB .308 ARs. Getting rid of the 308 ARs was a no-brainer.  I'd be wary of loading it up with heavy optics like piggy-backed Razors and LDs or giant cans & stuff. Mine is comically rear-weighted with a D-50 drum on it. LOL

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have only shot 300rds of various match and premium hunting .308 along with some 7.62 M80 ball through my SIG716I but not a single issue thus far. In fact for the price I'd bet its one of the better built and equipped, reliable AR-10 type rifles in .308 especially for the price. Now I'm not claiming its a better rifle or more accurate than a KAC SR-25, LMT MWS or a LaRue OBR but from what I've read, many feel its alot of rifle for the price and its accurate. I just picked mine up a few months back and it is my favorite rifle. The build quality and finish are amazing. It's a very solidly built rifle.

Not that it weighs heavily but India just purchased 144,000 units of this rifle for their military. Its been heavily tested and its possibly been in direct combat at this point and there have been no poor reports.
Here's a video of a 280yd 10" steel plate at a 29° slope angle I went 8-11 on. I knew instantly why I missed and it wasn't the rifle. The 716I is a capable rifle and it is assisting me has I learn to become a more precise shooter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIYKGdIQTw
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20210512_163119_jpg-1939886.JPG
View Quote

is the SIG 716I considered to be a large-frame AR, or a small-frame AR?  looks like the size of the LR-308 receiver set to me, but photos can be deceiving if there's no scale reference... just wondering.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

is the SIG 716I considered to be a large-frame AR, or a small-frame AR?  looks like the size of the LR-308 receiver set to me, but photos can be deceiving if there's no scale reference... just wondering.
View Quote

It has a large frame upper and lower reciever. It feels built up not slimmed down. The bolt and BCG are large, AR-10 type not an AR-15 type accommodating a larger caliber. I was wrong on the weight lol, 8.5lbs not 8.6lbs.

Here's an older post that sheds some light on SIG's thought process manufacturing the 716 not specifically the "I" but they share similarities.
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1376750
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the first run on Colt 901. Came with the never going to use adapter to 556 deal.  It’s accurate enough.  100% reliable.  Medium barrel. But to do it all over I would go the TAVOR 7 .  Compact accurate enough battle rifle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#26]
90rds through my Pof Rogue, no issues at all and wow the recoil is soft. I did add a Strike Industries Flat Wire spring, but have not installed the Pof Adj gas block.
I shot a Colt 901 after I got my Rogue sighted in and it seemed overgased (unburnt powder speckling part of me) and recoil hurt if the but pad wasn't proper.
I wanted to DIY build, at $2600, a light 308 AR but I am very happy with the rogue currently and I am someone who was very hesitant.

Edit - I still want a bulpup 7.62 as my Steyr HS is was a favorite of mine
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#27]
If you don't mind piston, Adams Arms is still making G2 platforms
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I have had a DI Revolution for almost 2 years now. No problems at all!

Now I want a Rouge with the forged receivers...
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Against my better judgment, I think I'm going to give the POF Revolution DI a try. It really is everything I want in a small frame .308 rifle. Well, a bit more money, but then I have to look at what I would want to change to begin with. That's probably about the same. Just hope I get a good one.

Now, to research optics...
View Quote

I have a TA11 on mine.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top