Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2019 2:45:05 PM EDT
Looking for a reasonable FF carbine rail. I don't mind removing the front sight and going to a low gas block. But thinking this one should retain the carbine look.

Prefer old school pickatinny over keymode but looks like that's a thing of the past?  I can update my accessories to a Keymod mount.  Keymod does look cooler lol

Been out the the build and parts scene for a couple of years and looking for input.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for a reasonable FF carbine rail. I don't mind removing the front sight and going to a low gas block. But thinking this one should retain the carbine look.

Prefer old school pickatinny over keymode but looks like that's a thing of the past?  I can update my accessories to a Keymod mount.  Keymod does look cooler lol

Been out the the build and parts scene for a couple of years and looking for input.
View Quote
LaRue Tactical quad-rail handguard

These come in a variety of lengths. They have also just come out with two new versions - the LAT and SAT. These are priced at only $10 per inch. A super deal.

LaRue Tactical Lok*A*Tinny (LAT) Handguards

LaRue Tactical Slick*A*Tinny (SAT) Handguards

The 7" (carbine length) LAT or SAT is only $70 as compared to nearly $173 for the picatinny version.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Dollar for dollar you cannot beat Larues new offerings.  Otherwise DD lite, KAC, and Larue are still king of the quad rails.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
you don't need to spend over a 100 to get a good quality ff rail.  The mark up on these things is beyond absurd

Look on the EE for a used MI,, matrix etc.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Daniel Defense Omega 7.0.  Drop in free float.  Picatinny.  You can retain the FSB and delta ring.  Nothing to cut.  No special tools.  It is rugged and still weighs the same as the plastic hard guards it replaces.

It is not cheap, but not super expensive either.  I run one on my HD carbine for mounting a tape switch activated scout weapon light and occasionally a bipod or grip.  While I prefer modular rails for other applications, it's very hard to beat as a simple carbine free float replacement for the plastic hand guards.  Also has QD sockets on each side.

My HD setup:

Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Reposting my answer from the A2 thread this started in for anyone else coming in here:

Quoted:
Looking for a reasonable FF carbine rail.  I don't mind  removing the front sight and going to a low gas block.   I think its a cleaner look and I have a red dot on

Prefer old school pickatinny  over keymode but looks like thats a thing of the past?

it.

Been out the the build and part scene for a couple of years and looking for input.
View Quote
Probably going to want to get the mods to move this to another forum since it's not really A2 anymore. Probably get better results in AR Discussions or even GD.

Anyways, if you want a carbine rail that you can drop in and still be free-floated, then there's actually a fair number of options. Troy Charlie, Daniel Defense Omega (I have one and love it, but I'm moving away from picatinny), Centurion C4 (standard, extended, and full extension), KAC RIS II, A.R.M.S. SIR, or if you can find one used, the VLTOR CAS-V, but that's non-picatinny so probably not worth the trouble for you.

All of those will let you drop in on a current carbine system without removing anything other than your current handguards.

If you don't mind pulling off your muzzle device and gas block and going low-pro, then the world is effectively your oyster. You can go to whatever you want so long as you're comfortable taking off the barrel nut. Otherwise, most of the above linked options offer mid length or longer options that will use your standard barrel nut still but fit over a low profile gas block to give you a longer handguard length.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
UTG Pro MTU005

Midwest Industries MCTAR-20G2

LaRue LT15-7

If you do deviate from Picatinny, go M-LOK.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
KAC FF RAS Carbine
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Troy MRF... All lock up rock sold.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top