Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2023 1:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple]
I'm looking for a QD option for the Magpul MLOK bipod. I'm thinking of some sort of thumb screw, so that I don't have to use an Allen key to remove the bipod, would work perfectly.

Anyone done this?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you bought the wrong bipod. If you want a QD mount then what you're looking for is the Magpul 17S bipod. Most QD mount manufacturers make a QD 17S mount ... ADM for instance. Midwest Industries also makes one. LaRue makes one too, but it often requires a tool to swap from one rail to another due to varying tolerances with picatinny rails.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARgonot:
I think you bought the wrong bipod. If you want a QD mount then what you're looking for is the Magpul 17S bipod. Most QD mount manufacturers make a QD 17S mount ... ADM for instance. Midwest Industries also makes one. LaRue makes one too, but it often requires a tool to swap from one rail to another due to varying tolerances with picatinny rails.
View Quote

No. I'm looking for QD onto MLOK, not M1913. Adding those adapters, or a rail, would add significant bulk.

I'm simply looking for replacement screws for the MLOK version that will allow removal by hand.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:44:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARgonot] [#3]
I don't think anyone makes a QD M-LOK mount that allows you to attach things to it via M-LOK.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe look for 10-24 thumb screws
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think anyone makes a QD M-LOK mount that allows you to attach things to it via M-LOK.
View Quote

I may be wrong but he’s looking for thumbscrews to replace the Allen screws. Technically it’s not going to be QD just easier to remove and install. He’s looking for QD-ish but would’ve been better off by not calling it QD.

OP, if you don’t already have the Magpul bipod get the sling swivel version then a MLOK bipod adapter. I think GGG makes a tiny one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:

I may be wrong but he’s looking for thumbscrews to replace the Allen screws. Technically it’s not going to be QD just easier to remove and install. He’s looking for QD-ish but would’ve been better off by not calling it QD.

OP, if you don’t already have the Magpul bipod get the sling swivel version then a MLOK bipod adapter. I think GGG makes a tiny one.
View Quote

Hey thanks, yeah it's not technically QD, just thumb screw mountable. I want to be able to remove the MLOK bipod without tools.

Correct, the only thing I'm looking to do is to replace the screws themselves. I'll probably go to a hardware store and try to find something, along with some washers to make it sit flat. I'm very surprised that no one else seems to have done that yet.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
This 17S Magpul bipod adapter would be the best way to have a thumb screw release. The best would be an actual QD mount.

Imagine how small the wing bolts would be and the amount of resistance that would be required to screw & unscrew them ... TWO of them. It would be so finicky and slow that it wouldn't be worth while.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The idea of replacing the screws with wing bolts would not work. The head of the screws sit recessed in a groove and the heads are really close the main body of the bipod. The best option is to go with the offerings available unless you somehow invent your own adapter of some sort.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The idea of replacing the screws with wing bolts would not work. The head of the screws sit recessed in a groove and the heads are really close the main body of the bipod. The best option is to go with the offerings available unless you somehow invent your own adapter of some sort.
View Quote

I guess I'll have to invent my own. Done it before, shouldn't be too hard
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

I guess I'll have to invent my own. Done it before, shouldn't be too hard
View Quote

I think your easiest option is the picatinny version with a KDG small mlok qd rail section
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By runguns:

I think your easiest option is the picatinny version with a KDG small mlok qd rail section
View Quote

That doesn't do any of what I'm trying to do.

I'll go to the hardware store tomorrow and look around for some form of thumb screw. If not, oh well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#12]
You will need something like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Look closely at a pic of the bipod he's using. That knob won't work because the head is too large in diameter. The screw heads are very close to the main body of the bipod. The head also sits inside of a groove.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#14]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
Maybe look for 10-24 thumb screws
View Quote

That’s a lot of thumbscrews. He’d probably only need two.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

That’s a lot of thumbscrews. He’d probably only need two.
View Quote

No ... it's a thread type.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Look closely at a pic of the bipod he's using. That knob won't work because the head is too large in diameter. The screw heads are very close to the main body of the bipod. The head also sits inside of a groove.
View Quote

Honestly ... it would be easier, quicker and more practical to simply store an allen wrench in a grip or something like that in comparison to a tiny little lift/racheting lever on tiny little screws.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:43:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#18]

No ... it's a thread type.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I have multiple Magpul mlok bipods.  I said similar as in, needs to have a narrow first stage and then bigger knob head like the one pictured.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#20]
OP - Curious to hear if you find anything.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:44:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NothingBurger:
OP - Curious to hear if you find anything.
View Quote

I found perfect levers... But they're slightly too thick. Cutting or sanding a relief in them would cause then to break, unfortunately.
I can keep looking around, but each time I buy levers to test it'll cost $$ and shipping. So I'm just not sure what to try next.

It would be very easy if Magpul just did it from the start. No reason why they don't.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Take two hex wrenches you can sacrifice and cut them off so they are the proper height and length you need. Then experiment with the placement of them in the m-lok screw heads and epoxy them in place. Now you have a lever for each screw.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By civgunner:
Take two hex wrenches you can sacrifice and cut them off so they are the proper height and length you need. Then experiment with the placement of them in the m-lok screw heads and epoxy them in place. Now you have a lever for each screw.
View Quote

Well shit, that's a really great friggin idea.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Well shit, that's a really great friggin idea.
View Quote

Well, that's why we come here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By edwin907:

Well, that's why we come here.
View Quote

I will say that the issue with that is that it wouldn't be indexable. So I may run into an issue where I don't have enough "throw" to install and remove the bipod because the Allen key would hit the bipod.
The more that I think about it, the more I think that there will be issues. But I'm open to trying it
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:53:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobinNC] [#26]
I'm looking for a QD option for the Magpul MLOK bipod. I'm thinking of some sort of thumb screw, so that I don't have to use an Allen key to remove the bipod, would work perfectly.

Anyone done this?
View Quote

No but this will work.

American Defense MLOK Bipod Mount Aluminum Black

You attach your M-LOK Bipod to the Bipod mount, and then mount the bipod on a short PIC to M-LOC rail section.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BobinNC:

No but this will work.

American Defense MLOK Bipod Mount Aluminum Black

You attach your M-LOK Bipod to the Bipod mount, and then mount the bipod on a short PIC to M-LOC rail section.
View Quote

Not at all what we are trying to accomplish here
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Not at all what we are trying to accomplish here
View Quote

Your trying to accomplish something that cannot be done.  M-LOK was not designed to be Quick Detached.  But Picatinny was. Mating an M-LOK mount to a QD Pic rail mount is the easiest way to do it.

You want to do it the hard way.  Good luck to you Sir...
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Your trying to accomplish something that cannot be done.  M-LOK was not designed to be Quick Detached.  But Picatinny was. Mating an M-LOK mount to a QD Pic rail mount is the easiest way to do it.

You want to do it the hard way.  Good luck to you Sir...
View Quote

False.
It would be easily accomplished if Magpul just made the bipod with the proper clearance.
But as it is, epoxying an Allen key in place could sorta work. Still would like to be able use the indexable levers that I bought... Theoretically I could have a machinist make me a longer mount, which would also solve the issue.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#30]

False.
It would be easily accomplished if Magpul just made the bipod with the proper clearance.
But as it is, epoxying an Allen key in place could sorta work. Still would like to be able use the indexable levers that I bought... Theoretically I could have a machinist make me a longer mount, which would also solve the issue.
View Quote

"It would be easily accomplished if Magpul just made a Bipod with the proper clearance."?  

You need mental help Sir, not a machinist.  It's a $100.00 Bipod, that solved the toolless QD problem with the model that takes an A.R.M.S. 17-s Type mount (MAG951).  You bought the wrong dang bipod (MAG933) and you are now trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Sell the damn thing and buy the correct bipod, or just buy the adaptor I listed above, an salvage some of your initial investment after buying the wrong bipod.  Wanting QD after buying M-LOK is not uncommon failing.

Trying to jury-rig some half-assed solution after the fact is not only uncommon, but also a bit silly....
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#31]

"It would be easily accomplished if Magpul just made a Bipod with the proper clearance."?  

You need mental help Sir, not a machinist.  It's a $100.00 Bipod, that solved the toolless QD problem with the model that takes an A.R.M.S. 17-s Type mount (MAG951).  You bought the wrong dang bipod (MAG933) and you are now trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Sell the damn thing and buy the correct bipod, or just buy the adaptor I listed above, an salvage some of your initial investment after buying the wrong bipod.  Wanting QD after buying M-LOK is not uncommon failing.

Trying to jury-rig some half-assed solution after the fact is not only uncommon, but also a bit silly....
View Quote

I'm not sure why you came here to insult me and anyone else who doesn't want to have multiple adapters and added weight/thickness to have a QD bipod.
It's really not a big deal. The bipod is great as is. But making it QD is feasible.
The purpose of this thread was to find/make a QD option for those who value a QD MLOK bipod. If you don't have input on the matter, then just go away.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:14:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARgonot] [#32]

False.

View Quote

False. Two finger screws IS NOT QD. You're just wrong. Why would Magpul design their bipod just for your silly intentions? As mentioned previously, common Mlok products are not intended to be QD. Hey ... there is a Mlok QD product made by Kinetic, but I'm sure you'll pass on it too though it's the least expensive option.

I say you should design a QD Mlok bipod, start a company, set up the infrastructure, navigate the patents, acquire the equipment, hire people, market your product and be part of free trade.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By runguns:

View Quote
This is probably the most elegant solution to QD mounting a magpul bipod to mlok. Even if op is too fixated on his ridiculous idea to listen.

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Not wanting to add the bulk of extra rails and adapters is a theory very difficult for some to understand, apparently.

I'm very disappointed in
how what should be a fairly straightforward and non-confrontational topic has been hijacked by this silliness.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#35]
It's not confrontational, it's informational. What you seek does NOT exist. Everyone is showing you what does exist. The alternative is for you to create an entirely new type of bipod and mechanism for attachment. You can complain about it day after day, but it will not change anything.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:34:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#36]
It's not confrontational, it's informational. What you seek does NOT exist. Everyone is showing you what does exist. The alternative is for you to create an entirely new type of bipod and mechanism for attachment. You can complain about it day after day, but it will not change anything.
View Quote

The entire purpose is this thread is that it doesn't exist, and I seek to make it.

I left the thread alone, and then someone brought it back to life in order to check in to see if I had done it yet. So obviously, at least one other person in the Milky Way desires to have a tool-lessly removable MLOK bipod.

None of this requires an entirely new mechanism. As I see it right now, I have several options, from cutting down Allen keys, to shaving the edges of the pan disk to add clearance. I could also make a CAD file to just add one more MLOK notch in length, and therefore plenty of clearance on the base, for the QD levers that I bought.

It's not rocket surgery, I would just need to decide whether I care enough, and if so, which to pursue.

At this time, looking more at it, the Allen key version seems to be very simple and effective because, if done right, I should be able to still have 270° of throw, which is plenty.

I'll post pictures of whatever I decide, for the other absolute monsters who are evil enough to want a bipod that they can switch between rifles without tools, and without 2" of various adapters. We are heathens!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#37]

The entire purpose is this thread is that it doesn't exist, and I seek to make it.

I left the thread alone, and then someone brought it back to life in order to check in to see if I had done it yet. So obviously, at least one other person in the Milky Way desires to have a tool-lessly removable MLOK bipod.

None of this requires an entirely new mechanism. As I see it right now, I have several options, from cutting down Allen keys, to shaving the edges of the pan disk to add clearance. I could also make a CAD file to just add one more MLOK notch in length, and therefore plenty of clearance on the base, for the QD levers that I bought.

It's not rocket surgery, I would just need to decide whether I care enough, and if so, which to pursue.

At this time, looking more at it, the Allen key version seems to be very simple and effective because, if done right, I should be able to still have 270  of throw, which is plenty.

I'll post pictures of whatever I decide, for the other absolute monsters who are evil enough to want a bipod that they can switch between rifles without tools, and without 2" of various adapters. We are heathens!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

At this time, looking more at it, the Allen key version seems to be very simple and effective because, if done right, I should be able to still have 270  of throw, which is plenty.

This isn't 2" of various adapters. It's clean, lightweight, low profile and... it's actually QUICK detach. You literally just pinch it and take it off. But it stays put unless you want it to come off.

It's much more effective, durable, less prone to unintended snagging/unlocking and and overall better solution than your half-assed epoxied hacksawed allen key bolts.

It's ok. I've been there before. So fixated on what I was so convinced was a better unconventional solution that I dismissed the advice of all the guys around here that had been there done that and were telling me my idea was stupid.

After trial and error, I always seemed to end up where the hive told me I would.

Someday you'll have realized your idea is stupid and you'll be telling someone else on here the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
https://i0.wp.com/www.blacksheepwarrior.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Kinetic-Development-Group-bipod-adapter-11.jpg?fit=620%2C413&ssl=1&resize=350%2C200https://i.ytimg.com/vi/v6xZOtlkSBI/maxresdefault.jpg

This isn't 2" of various adapters. It's clean, lightweight, low profile and... it's actually QUICK detach. You literally just pinch it and take it off. But it stays put unless you want it to come off.

It's much more effective, durable, less prone to unintended snagging/unlocking and and overall better solution than your half-assed epoxied hacksawed allen key bolts.

It's ok. I've been there before. So fixated on what I was so convinced was a better unconventional solution that I dismissed the advice of all the guys around here that had been there done that and were telling me my idea was stupid.

After trial and error, I always seemed to end up where the hive told me I would.

Someday you'll have realized your idea is stupid and you'll be telling someone else on here the same thing.
View Quote

That would a great solution Daggertt for anyone with a Magpul MAG941 bipod.

Unfortunately the savant OP bought a MAG933 that doesn't interface with anything, except an American Defense MLOK Bipod Mount.  

But it will also require a short section of Picatinny M-LOK rail, which the savant OP refuses to consider because "stacking" of less than 1" is anathema to his OCD.

I initially wished him luck in his endeavor in chasing M-LOK windmills, but then he doubled down, and I was transformed into an evil monster, that one wonders must be hiding under his bed or perhaps in his closet.

I hope he either finds a QD solution soon or a professional intervention to help with his other problems....

Have a sparking Day Scrapple old lad.....
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#39]

Unfortunately the savant OP bought a MAG933 that doesn't interface with anything, except an American Defense MLOK Bipod Mount.  

But it will also require a short section of Picatinny M-LOK rail, which the savant OP refuses to consider because "stacking" of less than 1" is anathema to his OCD.

I initially wished him luck in his endeavor in chasing M-LOK windmills, but then he doubled down, and I was transformed into an evil monster, that one wonders must be hiding under his bed or perhaps in his closet.

I hope he either finds a QD solution soon or a professional intervention to help with his other problems....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
https://i0.wp.com/www.blacksheepwarrior.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Kinetic-Development-Group-bipod-adapter-11.jpg?fit=620%2C413&ssl=1&resize=350%2C200https://i.ytimg.com/vi/v6xZOtlkSBI/maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah I was echoing the guy initially that suggested picking up the picatinny bipod and this KDG mount.

I've bought the wrong thing before and hacked it into what i thought would be a money-saving way to get me to the destination via detour.

I typically end up buying the right part after all is said and done, and had I not destroyed the initial part, I could have sold it to recoup the cost of buying the right part.

I've been around long enough to know that life is just easier and stuff works better if you use the right tools and the right parts for the job instead of trying to bubba everything.

Apparently that also happens to be long enough to become the monster. Who knew.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Such vitriol from me daring to look for a solution to something!
This forum sure has changed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARgonot] [#41]
Such vitriol from me daring to look for a solution to something!
This forum sure has changed.
View Quote

Vitriol? No. What you're interested in doing is just silly and is not QD. The best way to QD a bipod is to integrate a QD mount into the main body of the bipod which has been done by multiple manufacturers. Magpul doesn't do that. Apparently Kinetic Development Group is the ONLY Mlok QD mount that exists at this time.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top