Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2018 8:37:35 PM EDT
Guys,

I’ve got an FN A2 upper coming my way and I’m looking at pseudo-clone options.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can build with it?  Maybe a 727-esq build? I’ve already built an M16a4 clone so I leaning away from the A2 rifle.

Also, pics are always welcomed :)

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Why are you leaning away from a 20" A2? These are iconic and every clone collection needs one. Besides, the M16A2 was also built by FN. There were no carbines with FN A2 uppers. FN started making carbines with the M4/M4A1.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are you leaning away from a 20" A2? These are iconic and every clone collection needs one. Besides, the M16A2 was also built by FN. There were no carbines with FN A2 uppers. FN started making carbines with the M4/M4A1.
View Quote
Only because I’ve already built an A4 that currently is wearing a carry handle.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Only because I’ve already built an A4 that currently is wearing a carry handle.
View Quote
Well, the way I see it, the only way to put that FN A2 upper to proper use is build a M16A2 clone. Other than that, it would be a travesty to use it for anything else. I know a lot of guys who would love to have a FN A2 upper for their M16A2 clone build. Personally, I have three M16A4 clone builds and I have a M16A2 clone build. Those are amongst the many other clone builds I have including many with carrying handles. If you are not looking to be correct for this build you are anticipating and want to waste that upper on something else, then you might as well build a 727 clone. It would be a crying shame to waste that upper on a build other than a M16A2 clone.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, the way I see it, the only way to put that FN A2 upper to proper use is build a M16A2 clone. Other than that, it would be a travesty to use it for anything else. I know a lot of guys who would love to have a FN A2 upper for their M16A2 clone build. Personally, I have three M16A4 clone builds and I have a M16A2 clone build. Those are amongst the many other clone builds I have including many with carrying handles. If you are not looking to be correct for this build you are anticipating and want to waste that upper on something else, then you might as well build a 727 clone. It would be a crying shame to waste that upper on a build other than a M16A2 clone.
View Quote
I've got no attachment to the FN marked A2.  If you have a colt and want to trade to make my future build more correct, then by all means offer away!

But in all seriousness, I'm going with a carbine.  Either a 727-esq build or XM4.  There's not a whole helluva difference between the two at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I would do a 6520,handy as fuck. Light. I think M4 bbl is not that cool.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are determined to do a carbine, the XM4 is the easiest to do.

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I second this.  I built a XM4 exactly like this one, it and my 723 are my favorite shooters.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
What to build when your bored in the desert.  Then break it all down and put the parts back on the shelf.  These are all FN uppers too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Colt Gov't Carbine...extremely light and very accurate.  To keep my basic marksmanship skills up to par, I'll break it out and fire about 50 rounds to distances from 50 to 300 yards...that's my Club's max distance range.

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the 6520.

Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Colt Gov't Carbine...extremely light and very accurate.  To keep my basic marksmanship skills, I'll bring it out and fire about 50 rounds to distances from 50 to 300 yards...that's my Club's max distance range.

with Irons.

https://i.imgur.com/GX7DSnp.jpg?2
View Quote
Awesome weapon and kudos to you sir for working those rifleman skills!!Right of responsible citizenship! Carry on brother!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/zO5ZYhw.jpg
View Quote
XM4 has grown to be one of my most favorites of all times.
Yours makes a great example of one, by the way.

Am I seeing it in gray?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes - all metal parts in gray except for the gas tube and roll pins. Currently working on an early flat top M4A1 clone in gray.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top