Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2020 10:56:09 AM EDT
I recall a movie (dystopian, post-apocalyptic crap) where some characters found a bunker with a 55 gal drum full of liquid. It was 50+ years old. They tipped it over and rifles fell out (which they picked up and used - with magically found ammo - to exfil the bunker, so ?? ).

If a guy wanted to stack 50 stripped lowers, etc. is there a 'drum full of liquid X' option to seal and forget?
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Cosmoline
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cosmoline
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Follow-up question  ...

Anyone know if Ballistol can be purchased in a spray bottle and used as a liquid? Meaning, if I buy it with a certain delivery platform can I simply pour out the liquid and use it or is it formulated differently based on delivery method?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Umm it's anodized Al.  You don't need cosmoline.  Just seal it and forget it
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

LMAO at the idiot OP!
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LMAO at the idiot OP!
View Quote

If you want to spend days cleaning out cosmo when it's go time in 50 years, u can go that route.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you want to spend days cleaning out cosmo when it's go time in 50 years, u can go that route.
View Quote

I get it (hint: I'm the OP and missed that aluminum parts will be fine with virtually any corrosion prevention).
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Days? Try months, maybe years... I've owned combloc surplus AK's and Mosin's in the past. Clean them all you want, even months later the metal would still sweat out Cosmoline.
That's some seriously nasty stuff, it will literally penetrate and "soak" into the metal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
VCI bags.

Lasts 20+ years and no need to worry about if it's oiled up good(or at all).
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is by far the worst advice I've seen on the internet in awhile.

Cosmoline and if you're really crazy, I can tell you how to vacuum pack them to last a lifetime. PM me if interested.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Nvrmnd
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is by far the worst advice I've seen on the internet in awhile.

Cosmoline and if you're really crazy, I can tell you how to vacuum pack them to last a lifetime. PM me if interested.
View Quote

What is your experience in studying the corrosion of Al?  I've done it professionally in Aerospace, not fantasizing about it in a bunker.  In a sealed container (I'd use plastic over steel, in bags as a second layer of defense), you are going to be more than fine in 50 years.  Cosmo will simply make it a pain to use when the time is ready.  But carry on with your uneducated bubba science.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
to simplify... you want to store a bunch of guns submerged in a vat of liquid?  Buh whay?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If a guy wanted to stack 50 stripped lowers, etc. is there a 'drum full of liquid X' option to seal and forget?
View Quote

Quoted:

LMAO at the idiot OP!
View Quote

/thread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
to simplify... you want to store a bunch of guns submerged in a vat of liquid?  Buh whay?
View Quote

LOL ... to move this from philosophical to practical ...

I have 25 stripped lowers in boxes in a rubbermaid container (well, HAD them before, ya know, the boating accident) and I'm thinking of buying like 5 a month and stacking. So what's my alternative to more rubbermaid bins?

I have a Homer bucket ... it comes with a top ... I figured fill it with 10W30 and start dropping stripped lowers, stripped uppers, buffer tubes, etc into it and just throw in more each month. But then I realized that it can't be that simple ... right?

And here we are ...

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

/thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
LMAO at the idiot OP!

/thread.

I think you drafted a post like this above but decided against keeping it? Then the stupid continued and you couldn't tolerate it, huh? I've been there ...
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have 25 stripped lowers in boxes in a rubbermaid container (well, HAD them before, ya know, the boating accident) and I'm thinking of buying like 5 a month and stacking. So what's my alternative to more rubbermaid bins?

I have a Homer bucket ... it comes with a top ... I figured fill it with 10W30 and start dropping stripped lowers, stripped uppers, buffer tubes, etc into it and just throw in more each month. But then I realized that it can't be that simple ... right?

And here we are ...

View Quote

Why don't you just build rifles from those parts? Forget the stupid oil in a bucket idea and the even dumber lost in a boating accident garbage. Build rifles, enjoy rifles and if anyone gets stupid enough to try to take said rifles, shoot them with those rifles.

And honestly I am still trying to understand what you were trying to say about Balistol. Damned good oil BTW.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Follow-up question  ...

Anyone know if Ballistol can be purchased in a spray bottle and used as a liquid? Meaning, if I buy it with a certain delivery platform can I simply pour out the liquid and use it or is it formulated differently based on delivery method?
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-Cleaner-Protectant/dp/B00A470FN6

https://s3714.americommerce.com/package-f.aspx

https://wisementrading.com/hunting/ballistol.htm

Ballistol is good stuff & works on all kinds of things.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#19]

I just don’t like the smell. Other than that it works great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]
This was shown in one of the early episodes of The 100
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why don't you just build rifles from those parts? Forget the stupid oil in a bucket idea and the even dumber lost in a boating accident garbage. Build rifles, enjoy rifles and if anyone gets stupid enough to try to take said rifles, shoot them with those rifles.

And honestly I am still trying to understand what you were trying to say about Balistol. Damned good oil BTW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here we are ...

I agree to using a rifle if one is available. This thread is about parts; specifically, buying over time to average out the cost. Think about all the "My granpappy bought X from a catalog for a-buck-three-eighty and now they cost $$$$$" comments. So if a guy buys parts over time, he won't get a rifle for a-buck-three-eighty but he also won't pay $$$$$.

Ballistol - if I buy a can of aerosol and spray some into a small bowl to experiment, will I get the same results as if I buy it in liquid form? Or is the formulation different for liquid than for aerosol?

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Follow-up question  ...

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-Cleaner-Protectant/dp/B00A470FN6

https://s3714.americommerce.com/package-f.aspx

https://wisementrading.com/hunting/ballistol.htm

Ballistol is good stuff & works on all kinds of things.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Dup
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This was shown in one of the early episodes of The 100
View Quote

That sounds like one of those silly 'gurl pwr' shows I was forced to watch so it makes sense ...
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
VCI bags.

View Quote

Yes. I bought a roll of 18" x a lot of yards of VCI paper that I have wrapped a number of things in for long term storage.

VCI Paper
VCI Bags

For something cosmo-ish get Rust Veto
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes. I bought a roll of 18" x a lot of yards of VCI paper that I have wrapped a number of things in for long term storage.

VCI Paper
VCI Bags

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VCI bags.

VCI Paper
VCI Bags

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#27]
For simple stripped lowers, I'm with trash panda. Nothing crazy, if anything at all, is necessary to protect anodized aluminum. I'd wipe them down with some oil, and zip lock bag them. If you want fancy, throw in a strip of the corrosion paper and vacuum seal them.

You'd probably want to turn the rifle on yourself after cleaning out 50 weapons of cosmoline. You'd probably need to stash a heat gun or toaster oven and gallons of acetone to clean up all that cosmoline too.

I suggest you go with the CLP and ziplock route, until you can get the parts to build them out. Test fire/zero, clean, then coat in hydrophobic grease (just the steel parts), and vacuum seal. If you take the time to paint the barrels with grill/engine paint, prep them by acetone cleaning then sun-baking or heat gun to about 100-120°, spray, and wait a day before final assembly, then you should never have rust on the exterior. Rustoleum grill paint is not readily dissolved by common gun oils/solvents or motor oil.

I've never seen anodized aluminum or brass corrode, even after salt water exposure. The bits where the anodizing is worn off? They can corrode like a sumbitch.

Iirc you can get ballistol in cans/bottles that aren't aerosol.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, it's your stuff, do what you want. 24" x 200 yards of VCI paper is only $84. You'll have enough to give away to friends who have the same idea.

My roll is 18" x 200 yards and I got it directly from Daubert Cromwell, but I don't see they sell direct anymore. Paid about $57.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top