Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2021 1:11:33 AM EDT
I bought a Surefire Scout, and I thought I read that you're supposed to lock out the light when not in use. I don't know if this is to prevent damage, prevent battery draining, or what. Do you lock out the head or just leave screwed down. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of this. I unscrew the battery cap a little so it doesn't get inadvertently activated. I guess the same thing can be done with the head.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm betting an 11B will be along soon to explain why.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Lockout tailcaps are a feature listed for most all SureFire flashlights. It's not as complex as you'd think; back off the tailcap a certain amount and it will no longer complete the circuit. Helpful for storage (if there is a chance of something bumping into your switch) but not necessary to prevent a parasitic drain. It's more difficult to do this with the pressure-switch remote tailcaps; in those cases, I would probably just un-plug the switch if my rifle was going to be bouncing around in a gun case.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's more difficult to do this with the pressure-switch remote tailcaps; in those cases, I would probably just un-plug the switch if my rifle was going to be bouncing around in a gun case.
View Quote

I have mine with Unity Hotbuttons. The plugs are tight fitting. I just unscrew the end cap a little and it's good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, are you referring to the Vampire heads (that switch from white light to IR)? Because they have (had) an OFF position in the middle between IR and WL. I read somewhere that Surefire did away with this feature recently but I dont have any new ones.

It's a mostly useless feature inho except for tactical environments where accidental light can be dangerous.

Other than that, the lockout tailcap is just simply unscrewing it to the point where pushing the button no longer activates the light. I use this on light that go into a suitcase or something where accidentally turning on is possible.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top