Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/6/2020 3:34:29 PM EDT
I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy a correct looking semi-auto safety for a 723 clone.  I'm pretty sure it should look like the picture below.  I know my old Armalite had one like this, but I don't have it any more.  This should be a fairly easy part to find, but the standard safety selectors that I've found online only show pictures of the side with the lever, and don't show the side with the tic mark.

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
RRA has the indicator on the off side.  So does Spikes Tactical.  Only two LPK brands I have right now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, all I can say is good luck finding a current make with the triangular shaped notch on the off side. Secondly, have fun getting one in a current parts kit that has the correct selector with the thumb shelf that only goes to the edge of the circular part of the switch. Most new selectors have the shelf that goes into the center of it. I used to have a source, but the last one I ordered had different style. Glad I'm almost done cloning.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off, all I can say is good luck finding a current make with the triangular shaped notch on the off side. Secondly, have fun getting one in a current parts kit that has the correct selector with the thumb shelf that only goes to the edge of the circular part of the switch. Most new selectors have the shelf that goes into the center of it. I used to have a source, but the last one I ordered had different style. Glad I'm almost done cloning.
View Quote

There's always modding a select fire selector.  

As for the correct hash mark, that's a bit more difficult.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
This one looks close (look at the off-side view)
Bushmaster AR15 Selector
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This one looks close (look at the off-side view)
Bushmaster AR15 Selector
View Quote

Thanks for that link.  It is the closest I've seen that is currently available for purchase.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I've bought three of these.  The off-side hash mark is very faint.  It is just a line.  But the selector lever is very close.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Here’s the safety on my M16 A2

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's always modding a select fire selector.  
View Quote

Quoted:
Here’s the safety on my M16 A2
View Quote

As Tigwelder said, I've been looking for the correct selector for a couple years now, and the only one I've found with that style of notch shown in OLIAR15's photo is the actual auto selector made by Schmid Tool that is used by the military:

Schmid Tool & Engineering Corp - M16 Auto Safety

I've seen a dozen or so threads with many references to various brands of selectors with tick marks, and they all turn out to be lines, straight notches, and other styles that don't match the GI selector. If you're really set on it looking like a military selector notch, the Schmid auto selector, modified to make it semi-only, is the only option that I know of.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As Tigwelder said, I've been looking for the correct selector for a couple years now, and the only one I've found with that style of notch shown in OLIAR15's photo is the actual auto selector made by Schmid Tool that is used by the military:

Schmid Tool & Engineering Corp - M16 Auto Safety

https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.10e/userdocs/products/p_100029349_2.jpg?yocs=p_https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.10e/userdocs/products/p_100029349_5..jpg?yocs=p_

I've seen a dozen or so threads with many references to various brands of selectors with tick marks, and they all turn out to be lines, straight notches, and other styles that don't match the GI selector. If you're really set on it looking like a military selector notch, the Schmid auto selector, modified to make it semi-only, is the only option that I know of.
View Quote

I just picked up a Colt select fire FCG, hoping that the selector is marked correctly.

I'll update here once it shows up.....
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As Tigwelder said, I've been looking for the correct selector for a couple years now, and the only one I've found with that style of notch shown in OLIAR15's photo is the actual auto selector made by Schmid Tool that is used by the military [...]

If you're really set on it looking like a military selector notch, the Schmid auto selector, modified to make it semi-only, is the only option that I know of.
View Quote

What do you use to modify the selector? Wondering about the minimum amount of tooling I'd need.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What do you use to modify the selector? Wondering about the minimum amount of tooling I'd need.
View Quote

I personally use a Dremel cut-off wheel (the abrasive disk) for that kind of metal work, and then clean up with Dremel grinding stone and/or hand file. In a pinch, you could probably use a hack saw to take off the majority of the fin in the center, by cutting down carefully at a 45 degree angle, and then finish with a file, but that could get messy (scraping up other parts of the selector).
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't necessarily need to modify anything.
If installed with the rest of an AR semi-auto FCG, you'll either get SAFE-SEMI-SAFE or SAFE-SEMI-SEMI (depending on how the fin interfaces with the back of the trigger).
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You don't necessarily need to modify anything.
If installed with the rest of an AR semi-auto FCG, you'll either get SAFE-SEMI-SAFE or SAFE-SEMI-SEMI (depending on how the fin interfaces with the back of the trigger).
View Quote

True^^^^.

For those that do want to mod.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cut off wheel and hand file at a minimum.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy a correct looking semi-auto safety for a 723 clone.  I'm pretty sure it should look like the picture below.  I know my old Armalite had one like this, but I don't have it any more.  This should be a fairly easy part to find, but the standard safety selectors that I've found online only show pictures of the side with the lever, and don't show the side with the tic mark.

https://i.imgur.com/zKuLRlf.jpg
View Quote

I purchased two (2) Colt M16A2 selectors from Specialized Armament exactly as in your pictures for a Colt Model 711 & 723 a few years back. OOS currently. Call just to be sure.

Late entry: Here's a couple pics. If you want close up's I'll do it. These pictures are 3 or so years old. Hope you find some original Colt's 2JRanch.....

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/zKuLRlf.jpg
View Quote
@2JRanch
Would this work? EDIT: SENT TOO 2JRanch.  Enjoy!!Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@2JRanch
Would this work?
View Quote

@shultz
Thank you for reaching out.  That safety selector looks pretty close.  I actually found one very similar to the one in your picture from another member on the site, so I’m set now for my 723 clone.  I think the one he traded to me was from an older Bushmaster.  I was surprised how difficult it was to source this part.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@shultz
Thank you for reaching out.  That safety selector looks pretty close.  I actually found one very similar to the one in your picture from another member on the site, so I'm set now for my 723 clone.  I think the one he traded to me was from an older Bushmaster.  I was surprised how difficult it was to source this part.
View Quote
@2JRanch
Glad you got one. I had that in my parts bin and would have happily sent it to you
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I purchased two (2) Colt M16A2 selectors from Specialized Armament exactly as in your pictures for a Colt Model 711 & 723 a few years back. OOS currently. Call just to be sure.

Late entry: Here's a couple pics. If you want close up's I'll do it. These pictures are 3 or so years old. Hope you find some original Colt's 2JRanch.....
View Quote

That's identical to the one from Brownells that I linked to above. Schmid Tool has been the supplier for many Colt parts including selectors for years. I've seen the "S" that's visible on the selector lever on military rifles. I original thought it was for "Safe" since it faces up when set to Safe, but I believe it's for Schmid. Not all government selectors have it, but many do.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad you found one.  For future referense - I got these two from UnbrandedAR about a year and a half ago.  They were both in complete LPKs, but you can get them separately.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Selector came in, marked correctly.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Huge shout out to @shultz !!  He offered up a very close version of a clone correct safety selector.  At first I said I didn't need it, but then after looking at the other one I got, I saw that his was closer to clone correct.  I contacted him, and he sent it to me at no charge!  He wouldn't even accept reimbursement for shipping.  I just needed to say how awesome this dude is!  Thanks shultz!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Huge shout out to @shultz !!  He offered up a very close version of a clone correct safety selector.  At first I said I didn't need it, but then after looking at the other one I got, I saw that his was closer to clone correct.  I contacted him, and he sent it to me at no charge!  He wouldn't even accept reimbursement for shipping.  I just needed to say how awesome this dude is!  Thanks shultz!!
View Quote
Glad to help!
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top