Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2022 11:37:46 PM EDT
Ok so it’s pretty light. Dsa aluminum bcg I think it’s like 5 oz. Taccom 1 ounce buffer. Faxon match pencil 16” mid length.  I really really really want to get a titanium adjustable gas block but they are hell of expensive.  I can hardly find any and when I do they are $210 .  A non-adjustable battle arms development titanium gas block is only 60 bucks and it is really lightweight. Can I tune it with a different buffer spring or is that Jerry rigging it? Do I have to go to a stiffer spring or a lighter spring?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a LW BCG build with a pencil barrel and Seekins AGB. 3oz Buffer. I think you would probably want a lighter buffer spring but no experience there. My build is standard components aside from the LW carrier and AGB.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Lighter buffer spring from Taccom will definitely help you maximize the recoil reduction.

You can always get a normal lightweight gasblock and see if BRT has a EZTune gas tube that can work with that setup.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, and I hope others can chime in on this, but you want to figure your gas system out before messing with the buffer.

It is far better to have a proper sized gas hole for the barrel length if you are using a non adjustable gas block.

If your gas port is over or undersized for that typical barrel length, and you use a non-adj gas block, tuning the buffer system is a bandaid.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I understand, and I hope others can chime in on this, but you want to figure your gas system out before messing with the buffer.

It is far better to have a proper sized gas hole for the barrel length if you are using a non adjustable gas block.

If your gas port is over or undersized for that typical barrel length, and you use a non-adj gas block, tuning the buffer system is a bandaid.
View Quote

Usually that is true. When it comes to Lightweight internals, don't think there is any production barrels really optimized for that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
You can always add a heavier buffer.  

Just get an adjustable gas block, you can get the titanium one next paycheck.  Winter is coming, the rifle needs to be able to run & soon.

In the 27" pencil build, I ran rifle +3" gas & had to run a lightweight steel carrier & pull all the weights out of the buffer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  I gotta ask, ( no offense intended ) Why an Aluminum BCG ?  
The service life will be short with an Aluminum BCG, and they can be a real pain to tune, and limit your factory ammo choices.

Are you running one for a competition AR ?

Are you just trying to make a LtWt AR ?

Are you trying to minimize the impulse of the rifle caused by reciprocating mass ?  FWIW, there are much better ways to limit recoil impulse's.
View Quote

Are there?  I've held an aluminum bolt carrier before during the parts shortage, gal was hellbound determined to build her own AR and the full-retail shop in town sold her the last bolt carrier they had on the shelf.  It was amazing.  It weighed nothing, you could float it around the shop w/ a couple of helium balloons.

Yes, it will wear, and yes, you need to keep it well lubed, but w/ the recommended tuned gas it won't beat up your AR even w/ full power loads.  I don't think the JP is supposed to run on carbine gas, if I remember right.  OP is trying to get a titanium gas block - clearly he's going for an ultralilght rifle.  He will be the envy of many in the coming winter who have to carry much heavier guns.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I gotta ask, ( no offense intended ) Why an Aluminum BCG ?  
The service life will be short with an Aluminum BCG, and they can be a real pain to tune, and limit your factory ammo choices.

Are you trying to minimize the impulse of the rifle caused by reciprocating mass ?  FWIW, there are much better ways to limit recoil impulse's.

What ammo will you be using ? Factory 5.56 or a custom tuned, lightly loaded .223 round ?... Full power 5.56 ammo will beat the heck out of your AR with a Alum. BCG.

Places like JP and with their Alum. BCG , strongly suggest and use long bearing surfaces on the BCG , not sand cuts. Upper wear WILL be an issue.

You will want to run VERY well lubed... ALWAYS.

Your hammer will cause wear at the BCG contact area.

IMHO, a Aluminum BCG isn't worth the weight savings.

I would try to use the longest gas system length you can, and use a Adj. GB, something easily tuned if you are heck bent on using a Alum. BCG.

Not trying to be a PITA, but there is a reason Aluminum BCG's aren't used more frequently.

Buy a LtWt Steel BCG, and forget the few oz. added to the overall weight. Even then I would still use a Adj. GB.

I am saying a lot of this, because lots of newer AR owners, can be seduced by marketing .... and honestly a lot of those marketing gizmo's just ain't worth it.

View Quote
I gotta say, I run a JP aluminum BCG in my AR 308 and it's awesome. It's been flawless and I use it in my hunting rig, very lightweight and noticeably easier to haul around.

I found you don't have to douse it in lube like JP suggests, but maybe I was putting too damn much on there. It's true, the bottom of the BCG is going to show wear, but they warranty that thing at 10,000 rounds.

I would also say an adjustable gas block is a must for that set-up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I gotta ask, ( no offense intended ) Why an Aluminum BCG ?  

What ammo will you be using ? Factory 5.56 or a custom tuned, lightly loaded .223 round ?... Full power 5.56 ammo will beat the heck out of your AR with a Alum. BCG.

Places like JP and with their Alum. BCG , strongly suggest and use long bearing surfaces on the BCG , not sand cuts. Upper wear WILL be an issue.

You will want to run VERY well lubed... ALWAYS.

Your hammer will cause wear at the BCG contact area.

IMHO, a Aluminum BCG isn't worth the weight savings.

I would try to use the longest gas system length you can, and use a Adj. GB, something easily tuned if you are heck bent on using a Alum. BCG.

Not trying to be a PITA, but there is a reason Aluminum BCG's aren't used more frequently.

Buy a LtWt Steel BCG, and forget the few oz. added to the overall weight. Even then I would still use a Adj. GB.

I am saying a lot of this, because lots of newer AR owners, can be seduced by marketing .... and honestly a lot of those marketing gizmo's just ain't worth it.

View Quote

Cause I can.

Lol jk. I have lots of ARs..... I wanted something ridiculous for coyote hunting which involves extremely long hikes and mostly point blank shots or close running shots. So I’m building a lightweight one. Low impulse. Lightens up my load. I will maybe shoot it 500 times my entire life as I hunt with my other rifles too
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
The difference in weight between a Superlative Arms steel adj gas block and a Superlative Arms titanium adj gas block is 0.29oz

Just get a steel adjustable gas block and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The difference in weight between a Superlative Arms steel adj gas block and a Superlative Arms titanium adj gas block is 0.29oz

View Quote

Ya that’s what I was thinking. God damn it though I already bought a bunch of titanium small parts like a titanium bolt catch, titanium this titanium that. I just really need an adjustable titanium gas block that’s 125 bucks haha
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Not like cash is getting more valuable.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok so it’s pretty light. Dsa aluminum bcg I think it’s like 5 oz. Taccom 1 ounce buffer. Faxon match pencil 16” mid length.  I really really really want to get a titanium adjustable gas block but they are hell of expensive.  I can hardly find any and when I do they are $210 .  A non-adjustable battle arms development titanium gas block is only 60 bucks and it is really lightweight. Can I tune it with a different buffer spring or is that Jerry rigging it? Do I have to go to a stiffer spring or a lighter spring?
View Quote

I have the exact set up and an adj block is required. You pay to play for ultra light weight. You can save some money and get an Aero adj block. I don’t remember the weights, but it’s small.

Or you can try to tune with the BRT tubes but that will be a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@Demphna2

Could you, give details on your build ? From my lack of experience with Alum. BCG's... I am curious what parts you ended up using ?

Buffer setup, barrel length , gas system length, whose Adj. GB ... stuff like that.

And... if possible, how much difference in the recoil impulse ?  I realize that is subjective... but ...

Thanks ahead of time.
View Quote

JP SCS standard, Proof Research 18" 308 barrel, rifle length gas system, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, Ultra 7 suppressor.

I have only shot it with the suppressor, but the recoil impulse is smooth. I use this for hunting pigs and you can pop off rounds and still stay on target really easily. As a matter of fact, me and a buddy of mine were about to lay into some pigs and we shot, then he kept shooting about 10 rounds more. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he said the gun was so smooth, he stayed on target and had more shot opportunities. I thought he went crazy haha.

With all that being said, I've had some friend's kids shoot it as well and they've been scoped (not bad though) bc they didn't shoulder it very well.

I have a titanium V seven BCG as well which is just as awesome, although slightly heavier. It's also probably more durable.

Overall, I would definitely get another one. Was not problematic at all tuning it and has been pretty awesome performing, especially in the weight department.

And lastly, JP considers this a replaceable part, but they do specify if you take care of it and lube it like you should, they'll warranty it at 10k rounds. For a hunting rig, I won't see that round count for a long time, so it's good for my use.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ya that’s what I was thinking. God damn it though I already bought a bunch of titanium small parts like a titanium bolt catch, titanium this titanium that. I just really need an adjustable titanium gas block that’s 125 bucks haha
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a buddy do this. He didn’t do a Pareto analysis of weight lost per $.  Pin material doesn’t change much weight even if they were aluminum. Most bang (weight loss) for buck is pencil barrel, no muzzle device and light handguards.  You could get an aluminum gas block and tune the gas with an adjustable gas key.  But you won’t save much weight because the aluminum ones usually have beefier walls and pic rails for front sights.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
"I gotta ask, ( no offense intended ) Why an Aluminum BCG ?  

The service life will be short with an Aluminum BCG, and they can be a real pain to tune, and limit your factory ammo choices."

A: So what?

B: Not a "real pain to tune" for me. Install, shoot. No adjustable gas block.

C: Again, so what? I'm fine and my gun is fine with 55 and 62 grain.

My SE aluminum carrier has some obvious wear on it, but is still working after thousands of FA rounds. That upper doesn't serve any serious purpose for me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The service life will be short with an Aluminum BCG, and they can be a real pain to tune, and limit your factory ammo choices."

My SE aluminum carrier has some obvious wear on it, but is still working after thousands of FA rounds. That upper doesn't serve any serious purpose for me.
View Quote
Reading this answer, I could've swore you were from New York.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Reading this answer, I could've swore sworn you were from New York
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading this answer, I could've swore sworn you were from New York

Attachment Attached File

I'll try not to create any trigger responses for you in the future,

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Am I understanding correctly that you simply installed an aluminum carrier, weighing a fraction of what a standard steel carrier weighs, you did nothing to tune the gun and run it in FA?

What's the cyclic rate like on FA? Similar to a micro Uzi?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Am I understanding correctly that you simply installed an aluminum carrier, weighing a fraction of what a standard steel carrier weighs, you did nothing to tune the gun and run it in FA?

What's the cyclic rate like on FA? Similar to a micro Uzi?
View Quote

10" bbl with a rifle lower. It was fast. Mainly just for fun when we were regularly going to MG shoots. I like high ROF (when ammo is cheap.)

SD/HD stuff is more sedate.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/nasty_jpg-2485254.JPG

I'll try not to create any trigger responses for you in the future,

View Quote
Haha thanks for the edit. I'm from Texas after all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was getting around 1,400 r.p.m. With mine.

This is the best of both worlds .a hybrid carrier with a titanium front attached to an aluminum rear

Weight 3.9 ounces

https://i.imgur.com/hDvXlYi.jpg
View Quote
I run this one in my 300 blackout
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:58:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is the best of both worlds….a hybrid carrier with a titanium front attached to an aluminum rear

Weight 3.9 ounces

View Quote

That’s the 2A right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is the best of both worlds….a hybrid carrier with a titanium front attached to an aluminum rear

Weight 3.9 ounces

View Quote

Based on that pic, it looks like 2A’s regulated bolt carrier. So essentially an adjustable gas block, just on the other end of the gas tube.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top