User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I've held a JP aluminum carrier.  It's crazy light.
View Quote

I have a shooting innovation aluminum carrier. Guess they don't sell them anymore. Never used it, although super light.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My lightweight rifle has the JP aluminum carrier, it IS crazy light. Highly recommend you pair it with a New Frontier polymer hammer/trigger group with it. Originally I had a velocity trigger pack and even with a curved tip on the hammer it beat up the bottom surface a bit which is why the JP states that their aluminum carriers have a limited lifespan. I sanded it back smooth(ish)/took out the bigger bumps after I replaced it with the NFA kit and the polymer hammer hasn't done anything to it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Figured I'd post up here before the EE. I have a Halosun HS503G w/ACSS reticle on a absolute co-witness Fortis F1 which a swapped the steel cross bolts for Ti. 4.2 oz for the whole shebang!

Low mount and lower 1/3 also included

I got it all set up and went out to shoot only to realize my astigmatism was worse than I thought. Still usable if I look through a rear peep sight but I'm getting a Primary Arms GLX 2X to replace it.

I'm looking to get $230 shipped for the whole setup. That's what the going rate seems to be for a new HS503G and you get the UL mount for free!

Pictures linked below:

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BKKJ:
Figured I'd post up here before the EE. I have a Halosun HS503G w/ACSS reticle on a absolute co-witness Fortis F1 which a swapped the steel cross bolts for Ti. 4.2 oz for the whole shebang!

Low mount and lower 1/3 also included

I got it all set up and went out to shoot only to realize my astigmatism was worse than I thought. Still usable if I look through a rear peep sight but I'm getting a Primary Arms GLX 2X to replace it.

I'm looking to get $230 shipped for the whole setup. That's what the going rate seems to be for a new HS503G and you get the UL mount for free!

Pictures linked below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s2J51KTFFHvBLsGH9
View Quote

I'll take this.  Email sent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Got in one of the KE Arms KP-15 lowers to try out on my lightweight build, and I gotta say, I like it a lot. Dropped the weight from 5lbs 1oz to 4lbs 14.5oz without mag or sling. I prefer fixed stocks anyway so it feels like a no-brainer for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
withoutremorse42 do you still need some of those lightweight parts for your build? I havent checked the forum in a couple days.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mnkyco:
withoutremorse42 do you still need some of those lightweight parts for your build? I havent checked the forum in a couple days.
View Quote

@mnkyco

I still need a Luth-AR 601 triangle CH DSA Low mass Sand Cut BCG and a Ti grip screw, but I'm down to strictly trade mode.  Already went WAY over budget for this article
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I IMed you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have the weight of the X-15 HXP skeletonized drum magazine from X-products?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]
after a great trade with @mnkyco I'm down to 3 lbs 3.3 oz for my rifle.  Still have a couple small parts I can swap out, but I think I'm just about as far as I can go without drilling.  Dont think I'll make it to sub 3lbs.  It will be in the 4 lbs range with suppressor and optic though!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#11]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:
after a great trade with @mnkyco I'm down to 3 lbs 3.3 oz for my rifle.  Still have a couple small parts I can swap out, but I think I'm just about as far as I can go without drilling.  Dont think I'll make it to sub 3lbs.  It will be in the 4 lbs range with suppressor and optic though!
View Quote

Have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:17:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: withoutremorse42] [#12]
Originally Posted By JerDerv:

Have you shot it yet?
View Quote

Maybe in a couple days.  Just had hip surgery so I'm not walking well.  The barrel was on a previous build and was fine, but not amazing.  I'm hoping this build agrees with it a little more, and now I have a wider selection of ammo to try out.

That was yesterday, felt froggy today.  Shot it and got the adjustable gas block dialed in.  Went unsuppressed until it cycled, opened it one click more, then ran with suppressor.  Ran well with cheap russian crap.  Next up is zeroing and grouping, once my hip is healed enough to shoot prone.

Absolutely laughable recoil.  Not that .223 has a lot to start with, but this was just a hair more than my 10/22.

The 3d printed buttstock is still very much a prototype.  I opted for the buffer tube with no boss on it, so the stock is free to spin a bit despite being bolted down as tight as it can be.  

The DSA BCG, tubb flat spring and taccom 3g buffers are an awesome combo.  I suppose I should put the SLR gas block in that list too since that's what's balancing the force-to-mass ratio.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
New to the forum and the thread. But I wanted to add that I found a Fostech lite upper in tungsten color at my local shop- purchased it and took home to weigh. This thing is 4.3 ounces
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dejo:
New to the forum and the thread. But I wanted to add that I found a Fostech lite upper in tungsten color at my local shop- purchased it and took home to weigh. This thing is 4.3 ounces
View Quote

@dejo

Welcome!  Always glad to have new blood.  Fostech fight lite series receivers are a great start to an ultralight build.  I know there's way over a hundred pages in this thread, but it seems like you can click on nearly any at random and see some cool stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#15]
My build is currently at 3lb 14.2ounces. I have a 2a Armament barrel on the way that should drop 3.5 ounces from my current Odinworks barrel, I also have already received the 2A Armament Titanium Regulated Bolt Carrier that should drop another 2.5 ounces. And also have a JMT poly lower coming that should save another .6 ounces to put me just under 3lbs 8ounces total. That does not include any sights though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
My build is currently at 3lb 14.2ounces. I have a 2a Armament barrel on the way that should drop 3.5 ounces from my current Odinworks barrel, I also have already received the 2A Armament Titanium Regulated Bolt Carrier that should drop another 2.5 ounces. And also have a JMT poly lower coming that should save another .6 ounces to put me just under 3lbs 8ounces total. That does not include any sights though.
View Quote

Sounds like a nice build. You’ll have to post some pics when it’s done. What are you putting on it for sights?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Vortex Spitfire HD Gen2 5x that may go on it. All the fight for a light piece only to put a 10.6 ounce optic on it. My eyes arent young enough to work with buis only
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is a picture on the scale before my next iteration of this build. I expect a 6.8 ounce drop in weight once my parts come in.
Upper
Odin Works 16.1 ultralite 223 Wylde  22.6 ounces
V Seven Micro Brake  .8 ounces
2a Armament .750 Ti Gas Block  .7 ounces
Fostech lite Upper  4.3 ounces
Smoke Composites 12" handguard w/pic rail   7.1 ounces
Faxon Gunner BCG  8.5 ounces
Milspec Charge Handle  1.1 ounces
Strike Industries Forward Assist  .2 ounces

Lower
JMT Gen 2 Poly Lower  5.1 ounces
Taccom Buffer  1.1 ounces
Nemo 300blk Lightweight Spring  1.1 ounces
Smoke Composites 10.1" Closed Shoulder Stock  5.3 ounces
Smoke Composites Castle Nut  .2 ounces
NFA Poly LPK
Timbercreek Liteweight Pins  .2 ounces
Timbercreek Endplate  .2 ounces
Hogue Grip  1.5 ounces
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:18:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dejo] [#19]
Fostech Fighter Lite Upper on scale. https://imgur.com/4fThzkt
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Vortex Spitfire HD Gen2 5x that may go on it. All the fight for a light piece only to put a 10.6 ounce optic on it. My eyes arent young enough to work with buis only
View Quote

Lol, I put a LPVO on one of my LW builds, I think it’s still in the low 4’s though.  I’m 62 and vision impaired as well!
I do like red dots for the reason I can use my regular glasses. There are a few great lightweight RD’s out there.

Can’t see the pic BTW, may be your post count, not sure.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dejo:  Fostech Fighter Lite Upper on scale. https://imgur.com/4fThzkt
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I noticed in some of the threads that some were getting weights of 4.8 ounces for that same upper. I felt lucky when I weighed it.
Seems my barrel may finally make it to me as USPS shows it to be in town but also show delivery for Monday. Hoping for a bit more luck
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#23]
My LPVO is the Burris XTR 2 1-8 SFF and that thing is a cow. Wonderful glass and build, but at 25 ounces I am not sure it will see any regular duty on this piece
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:45:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#24]
My LPVO is the Burris XTR 2 1-8 SFF and that thing is a cow. Wonderful glass and build, but at 25 ounces I am not sure it will see any regular duty on this piece
View Quote

I went with the Leupold 1.5-5x20 at 9oz and the Aero mount.
The gun weighs 4.4 lbs with the scope. I’ve only got one range trip on the scope, but I liked it a lot. It’s a low cost scope, so I kept that in mind.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I have found a Leupold vx-r patrol 1.25-4 for $525 but at that price I would rather wait and see what the vx-3hd 1.5-5 looks like. wanting the illuminated one and not sure  if it is even available yet
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: asorel] [#26]
After a long and not very productive search, I've concluded that for steel 5/8-24 threaded flash hiders, you really can't beat the A2-pattern. Has anyone on here found a lighter 7.62 caliber flash hider lighter than that, or one almost as light but more effective?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By asorel:
After a long and not very productive search, I've concluded that for steel 5/8-24 threaded flash hiders, you really can't beat the A2-pattern. Has anyone on here found a lighter 7.62 caliber flash hider than that, or one almost as light but more effective?
View Quote

Why would steel be the answer for a light weight rifle?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

Why would steel be the answer for a light weight rifle?
View Quote

Because this is meant to be a lightweight rifle that is also functional, and not merely light for the sake of being light. Titanium flash hiders produce very visible sparks as hot gases pass through them; needless to say producing sparks is not conducive to the intended goal of hiding muzzle signature.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Griffin has a real lightweight type flash hider right? Maybe like 1.5ish oz micro?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
Griffin has a real lightweight type flash hider right? Maybe like 1.5ish oz micro?
View Quote

I don't suppose you have a link? The lightest flash hider I've seen from Griffin was in the 2.4 oz range IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Because this is meant to be a lightweight rifle that is also functional, and not merely light for the sake of being light. Titanium flash hiders produce very visible sparks as hot gases pass through them; needless to say producing sparks is not conducive to the intended goal of hiding muzzle signature.
View Quote

Would some kind of coating prevent the sparking?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:20:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#32]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

Would some kind of coating prevent the sparking?
View Quote

I have many titanium muzzle devices. It stops at around the 150 - 250 round count on < 16" barrels. > 16" barrels other sparks are non existent.  My DLC coated muzzle devices don't have this issue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Great info, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

I have many titanium muzzle devices. It stops at around the 150 - 250 round count on < 16" barrels. > 16" barrels other sparks are non existent.  My DLC coated muzzle devices don't have this issue.
View Quote

That's interesting, because I've got about 2,000 rounds through my 20" barrel with the Smoke Composites titanium flash hider on it, and I still see the sparking intermittently. The Smoke flash hider is mostly uncoated, however, perhaps a DLC finish would change matters.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Because this is meant to be a lightweight rifle that is also functional, and not merely light for the sake of being light.
View Quote

This is kind of the light for the sake of being light thread.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:51:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

This is kind of the light for the sake of being light thread.
View Quote

It's true that that makes up the bulk of active posters in the thread, but per the Database's own mission statement (to catalog all weights of all 5.56 AR components), that's not the only demographic that enjoys these data. There are posters in this thread, as well as users of the spreadsheet, whose objective is "minimize weight as much as possible while restricted to certain criteria."
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#37]
There is that under 6lb thread if you wanna go as light as possible, not as extensive as this thread, but this thread has been instrumental for use on my 4lbs 14.5oz rifle as well as my newest one that made some sacrifices for lightweight to prioritize a bit more durability and precision.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By asorel:   It's true that that makes up the bulk of active posters in the thread, but per the Database's own mission statement (to catalog all weights of all 5.56 AR components), that's not the only demographic that enjoys these data. There are posters in this thread, as well as users of the spreadsheet, whose objective is "minimize weight as much as possible while restricted to certain criteria."
View Quote

Most of us are restricted monetarily, either by our bankers or by our wives.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep, whether it's light just to be light, or a comp guy that needs as light / fast as possible while also being reliable, or a person building a SHTF gun that is trying to avoid his/her build being a pig when it doesn't need to be...the PWD is there to serve them all!

One of my favorite builds was my DMR, which is NOT a light gun by any means, but I pinched ounces where I could without impacting perf / durability. It was a good time selecting parts with that mindset. Not every build has to be a shot at going sub-3lbs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#40]
What’s the lightest charging handle right now?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
My latest lightweight build….

KP-15 Lower

https://i.imgur.com/XmS430E.jpg

Prototype aluminum carrier

https://i.imgur.com/qOwpZj5.jpg

Hesse plastic upper receiver (approx. 3 ounces)

New Frontier plastic LPK (to protect the aluminum carrier)

Faxon lightweight barrel w/integral flash suppressor - 19 oz. EVERYONE out of stock

V7 Magnesium rail - approx. 5.7 oz

Buffer - gutted carbine buffer approx. 1 oz

Sight - Swampfox Liberty 1 oz
View Quote

Not gonna lie, I salute your effort and all, but that just seems like something that would break by looking at it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By snapcan:

Not gonna lie, I salute your effort and all, but that just seems like something that would break by looking at it wrong.
View Quote

KP15 are pretty robust for what they are.

However, while I'm a gramchaser, I also look at the funtional strength aspects. This is why I sold my Fostech magnesium upper/lower and sold 2 of my 3 BCM KMR handguards. While the MI Combat handguard is like 1oz heavier, I would take it just because I would feel okay dropping it. Also, it's compatible with the KMR barrel nut.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#45]
NOT a SHTF rifle, my main concern is the Hesse upper. The lower is DAMN tough.
View Quote

Lol, never thought I'd see the day about you owning Hesse anything.  That should be damn light - handled a JP aluminum carrier once, weighed nothing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 5:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#47]
My latest lightweight build….

KP-15 Lower

https://i.imgur.com/XmS430E.jpg

Prototype aluminum carrier

https://i.imgur.com/qOwpZj5.jpg

Hesse plastic upper receiver (approx. 3 ounces)

New Frontier plastic LPK (to protect the aluminum carrier)

Faxon lightweight barrel w/integral flash suppressor - 19 oz. EVERYONE out of stock

V7 Magnesium rail - approx. 5.7 oz

Buffer - gutted carbine buffer approx. 1 oz

Sight - Swampfox Liberty 1 oz
View Quote

I like it. What’s your target final weight?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Just looking at pictures I notice either no dust cover or a polymer cover.

I don't think I really need a cover but wanted to know what thoughts are on this? Should I just get the V7 cover and light rod and be done with it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
What’s the lightest charging handle right now?
View Quote

Looking at the PWD, it seems a few have passed up the 1 oz Sintercore Tripwire I'm using.  I've still not found the Luth-AR retro 601 (~.7oz) for sale, which is probably OK since I may get out of the ULW game anyhow.  My 14.5" barreled pistol is at 3 lbs .5oz (muzzle device off) and I don't feel like there's a lot more meat on the bone for this project, so my fickle mind has lost interest.

At least until I see one tiny, marginally improved part, at which point I'll get all fired up and start from scratch again.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top