Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2021 3:28:24 PM EDT
Setting up my first HD AR, and lights are the next thing to look into.

I've seen some people mount them on the sides, some on the angles, and some on the top in front of the sight (like the one below).

Is this done for a reason? Or is it all due to ergonomics and being ambidextrous? I've seen this argument for placing pressure switches on the top (activated with thumb of either hand).

Wasn't sure if there was any other reason, perhaps the location of barrel shadow being in a better location?

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You pretty much got it. Ergonomics, economy of space and ambidexterity. Barrel shadow can be mitigated better by pushing the light out than picking which clock position to mount it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If my sights would clear it, I'd put my light on the top to cast the shadow of the barrel/suppressor below my line of sight vs. to the left or to the right.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm trying out a top-mount configuration and am liking it so far.  No shadow, low profile, and lots of flexibility if you use a remote switch.  This is my latest Cali legal build - weird grip, pinned stock, thread protector; still playing with the switch position...

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top