Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2020 2:48:54 PM EDT
Mounted a 5.56 AR upper to a reaction rod to remove the AAC FH and the barrel spun twisting the gas tube.

Minus the gas tube, what parts are reusable?

What should I have used other than a reaction rod?

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the gas tube hole in the upper.  If it looks okay, then just replace the tube.  Get the barrel tight again in the extension.  That may need to go to a gunsmith.

As to your second question see this.  Your experience proves what I said in the thread and that the first post didn’t nail it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Technically you should use barrel blocks.
How much torque were you applying? Your barrel extension probably wasn't torqued correctly anyways.
I've had the same thing happen. If I had to do over I'd just reinstall the barrel to barrel extension with red loctite. I sent mine back to the manufacturer, who just sent back the same barrel supposedly retorqued.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you break the barrel index pin?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only way he could have done this is if he spun the barrel loose from the extension.  The RR interfaces with the extension, so torque applied during removal of a muzzle device wouldn’t have any effect on the index pin.

OP it’s time to send the barrel back to the manufacturer.  Who manufactured the barrel?

As for appropriate tools, barrel blocks should be the choice if you think it’s going to require lots of torque to remove a muzzle device.  RRs work well for the vast majority of muzzle device work without issue, but when torque gets high, what happened to you is an inherent risk.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Technically you should use barrel blocks.
How much torque were you applying? Your barrel extension probably wasn't torqued correctly anyways.
I've had the same thing happen. If I had to do over I'd just reinstall the barrel to barrel extension with red loctite. I sent mine back to the manufacturer, who just sent back the same barrel supposedly retorqued.
View Quote

Unless you have the appropriate tools, you’re not getting the extension back to the appropriate torque spec, and if you can’t or it wasn’t torqued correctly in the first place, your gas port isn’t going to be aligned correctly and you risk affecting how the barrel headspaces.  DIYing it with red Loctite seems like a poor idea.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for your time and all of the info.

I'll send it in to ADCO and have them rebuild it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
...and it was a Daniel Defense barrel.

ETA: It was a BCM BFH Upper
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank you for your time and all of the info.

I'll send it in to ADCO and have them rebuild it.
View Quote

May want to check with ADCO as I’m not sure they offer that service.  @bigbore

There’s also the chance the extension wasn’t torqued correctly in the first place (which admittedly would seem odd for DD).  How much torque did you use when trying to remove the muzzle device?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There’s also the chance the extension wasn’t torqued correctly in the first place (which admittedly would seem odd for DD).  How much torque did you use when trying to remove the muzzle device?
View Quote

I posted in ADCO's industry forum.

I didn't use a torque wrench when attempting to remove the FH.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Send the barrel back to DD.  They will either fix it and maybe bill you, or discover it wasn’t torqued right.  Shit happens.  It would then need a new barrel since the gas port won’t be at 12 O’clock when properly torqued.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Barrel blocks for MD work.

Always

OP, your bbl is fooked.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn’t asking for a specific torque measurement.  Was just wondering if you had to muscle the shit out of it or if you were only applying a moderate/light amount of torque when it gave way.  An answer to that could give you a better idea if the extension was torqued correctly in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wasn’t asking for a specific torque measurement.  Was just wondering if you had to muscle the shit out of it or if you were only applying a moderate/light amount of torque when it gave way.  An answer to that could give you a better idea if the extension was torqued correctly in the first place.
View Quote

I misunderstood.

I wasn't muscling it too hard. I've used a plastic receiver clamp and used much more torque with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If your barrel spun and the receiver feed ramps still align with the barrel extension, your barrel is trash.  If the barrel spun, and your extension turned in the receiver all you may need is a new index pin.
View Quote

Looks like the barrel is trash. The feed ramps are still aligned with the extended feed ramps.

Is the receiver still usable?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The barrel spun in the extension?  that's crazy.  I've put some ridiculous torque on barrels and never spun it in the extension.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I misunderstood.

I wasn't muscling it too hard. I've used a plastic receiver clamp and used much more torque with no issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I misunderstood.

I’d be contacting DD and requesting a replacement.  Extensions should be torqued to the barrel into the 150 ft lb range.  You’d know if you got anywhere near that torque value trying to spin the muzzle device off.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looks like the barrel is trash. The feed ramps are still aligned with the extended feed ramps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your barrel spun and the receiver feed ramps still align with the barrel extension, your barrel is trash.  If the barrel spun, and your extension turned in the receiver all you may need is a new index pin.

Receiver should be fine, using a RR, no torque should have been transmitted to the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks again all.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If DD won't replace it, there's no way I'd trash the barrel over it.  Its threaded.  Take it apart and put it back together.  That's what they're there for.  Rockset or loctite, there's no rotational forces on the barrel to cause an issue.  Alight the gas port assemble and shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only way he could have done this is if he spun the barrel loose from the extension.  The RR interfaces with the extension, so torque applied during removal of a muzzle device wouldn’t have any effect on the index pin.

OP it’s time to send the barrel back to the manufacturer.  Who manufactured the barrel?

As for appropriate tools, barrel blocks should be the choice if you think it’s going to require lots of torque to remove a muzzle device.  RRs work well for the vast majority of muzzle device work without issue, but when torque gets high, what happened to you is an inherent risk.
View Quote

Turns out it was a BCM BFH Upper. I'll contact them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Clamping a barrel tight enough to put the 150 ft pounds on the extension is difficult to do in a normal vise with barrel clamps. Had an early nitride barrel that loosened once. I had to put a .002" shim washer on it so it would get to 150 when extension aligned with the existing gas port. It was a pain in the butt to do and I never really used the barrel afterwards just wanted to see if I could do it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Contacted BCM. They're going to take a look at it.

Hoping it can be resuscitated...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top