Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2018 5:57:17 PM EDT
I have a Scar 17 that fills a DMR role for me. I threw a Bushnell DMRII-i 3.5-21 on it. And I love the variable power it has, but the glass just isn't cutting it for me. I'm a nightforce guy, and their lack of something in this range/size package disturbs me.

I could throw a 5-25 on there, but I think it's a little overkill, and it'd be huge on the rifle. I've been giving the mk6 a very long look, but then they just release the mk5. What is the biggest difference? I know the mk5 runs on a 35mm tube, and doesn't have the pinch turret. Obviously the price drop is nice, but I wanna know what I'm giving up.

The new EoTech VuDu 5-25 also caught my eye just for the size of the thing, but I'd like to think Leupold high end glass would probably be a step above Eotech and their early entries into the magnified market.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d love to know too.  Tag for info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're a Nightforce fan, have you looked into the ATACR 4-16x?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're a Nightforce fan, have you looked into the ATACR 4-16x?
View Quote
Nice to see you outta the mk12 forum. I creep there most often. Haha

I gave it a very good look. As well as the now discontinued 3-15 NXS in a FFP. I'm not opposed to them, and probably need to grab them to throw on other rifles. Just thought they were a little outguned by the newer options out there.

Juuuust not quite enough of everything compared to the Leupold options. If I keep struggling with the Leupold decision, I'll probably just fall back on one, anyways. Ha.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a pretty detailed thread on Sniper's Hide right now about the MK5.

They are not fans of the MK6 over there, so any comparison there will reflect that. Consensus seems to be MK5 is a lot better.

I do not have a MK5, so don't have anything substantive to offer on it.

I can talk about going from an 3.5-21 HDMR to a 3-18 MK6 with the same reticle. If the HDMR glass bothers you, the MK6 will not scratch the itch. I can not really see much difference having both. Nothing like going from the bushnell to a Razor II or Kahles for example.

Also can't comment on MK6 tracking as mine is a horus and I just hold with it. Tracking is a common complaint with them, however.

I do like the small/light footprint of the MK6 and the (for me) generous eye box. I can't quote eye relief and exit pupil numbers, but I find it to be a very easy scope to get behind which I think makes it great where it was designed to be used, like on gas rifles without built up combs. I don't think it's a great value though and you pay/give up a lot for that size and weight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's a pretty detailed thread on Sniper's Hide right now about the MK5.

They are not fans of the MK6 over there, so any comparison there will reflect that. Consensus seems to be MK5 is a lot better.

I do not have a MK5, so don't have anything substantive to offer on it.

I can talk about going from an 3.5-21 HDMR to a 3-18 MK6 with the same reticle. If the HDMR glass bothers you, the MK6 will not scratch the itch. I can not really see much difference having both. Nothing like going from the bushnell to a Razor II or Kahles for example.

Also can't comment on MK6 tracking as mine is a horus and I just hold with it. Tracking is a common complaint with them, however.

I do like the small/light footprint of the MK6 and the (for me) generous eye box. I can't quote eye relief and exit pupil numbers, but I find it to be a very easy scope to get behind which I think makes it great where it was designed to be used, like on gas rifles without built up combs. I don't think it's a great value though and you pay/give up a lot for that size and weight.
View Quote
Ooh, I look forward to reading through that thread. Interesting the Mk6 has a bad rep. I had heard that these Leupy's had tracking issues out of the gate, but I was under the impression they had been addressed. Maybe I'm incorrect in assuming that.

I've heard a lot less about the Mk5 than I have the 6. But the 35mm tube sure is obnoxious. Finding a decent QD mount with the levers on the wonky side for the SCAR is already a challenge.....

Interesting you feel that way about the glass. I'm honestly starting to think I got a lemon with my DMR. Granted, I was shooting while the sun was heading down, but man was it lackluster....

I have no problem getting some monster scope, but I'm really handcuffing myself by looking for something compact for the SCAR. I should just throw a 2.5-10x24 on it like I do with everything else and call it good. But here I am....
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a pretty detailed thread, and they like optics over there.

Not sure why they did the MK5 in 35mm....

I don't feel that the MK6 3-18 glass is bad, but I don't think it's that great and does not seem to be a step up from the bushnell 3.5-21. It's a tiny scope for what it is, and those compromises are probably what causes it. At MSRP, you're up there with a Razor 2 4.5-27 which just crushes it optically...but also weighs twice as much and has a 56mm objective. I'd really like to try an AMG which is close to the weight and retail price of the MK6.

One thing I do notice with the Bushnell and MK6 is the lack of chromatic abberation with the MK6. The bushnell has a lot of blue CA that can get annoying. It also tunnels pretty badly at the low end. I like the MK6 better, but it's a tough sell at full price compared to what else is out there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a pretty detailed thread, and they like optics over there.

Not sure why they did the MK5 in 35mm....

I don't feel that the MK6 3-18 glass is bad, but I don't think it's that great and does not seem to be a step up from the bushnell 3.5-21. It's a tiny scope for what it is, and those compromises are probably what causes it. At MSRP, you're up there with a Razor 2 4.5-27 which just crushes it optically...but also weighs twice as much and has a 56mm objective. I'd really like to try an AMG which is close to the weight and retail price of the MK6.

One thing I do notice with the Bushnell and MK6 is the lack of chromatic abberation with the MK6. The bushnell has a lot of blue CA that can get annoying. It also tunnels pretty badly at the low end. I like the MK6 better, but it's a tough sell at full price compared to what else is out there.
View Quote
Got a chance to read through it the other night. Wow. It's insane to get an honest opinion at it, well after you filter out all the bullshit name calling over there. But I never would have expected the mk6 to be so universally agreed upon as a swing and a miss. I'm glad I read that thread before I considered ordering one.

It seems like 35mm mounts are out there, just not nearly as plentiful as 30s or 34s.

I'm definitely looking for a step up from the Bushnell, so that alone eliminates it. The Mk5s supposedly have better glass, but at this point, I'm more leaning NF or something else. At least with my NFs, I can count on nice glass. I also don't like the fact that if I want illumination in a reticle as simple as the TMR, I'm gonna pay an arm and a leg for it.

I have a weird sense that Vortex or NF or someone is about to drop a huge, "game changer" optic in this range, so I'm hesitant to buy. I mean, even Eotech with that Vudu....

But I agree with you on the Bushnell. Like I said, I was shooting towards dusk, but it was rough to look through on the SCAR. Which, granted, isn't the easiest rifle to get behind. But switching between the Bushnell on 21 and the NF on 10 wasn't even close. The the NF has a 24mm obj, so it shouldn't really blow it out of the water, but damn....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top