BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Had mine for about 3 years now and it's a blast to shoot.  I added a Limbsaver recoil pad and Silencerco muzzle brake to tame the recoil.

She's a 14" Tromix and runs like a champ.  A Leupold 2-7 scope rides on top.

-bob

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bob_L:
Had mine for about 3 years now and it's a blast to shoot.  I added a Limbsaver recoil pad and Silencerco muzzle brake to tame the recoil.

She's a 14" Tromix and runs like a champ.  A Leupold 2-7 scope rides on top.

-bob

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/160/Bobs_458SOCOM_FirstPic_jpg-1638190.JPG
View Quote

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but IMO this is the perfect setup for the .458 S.  12.5-14” TROMIX upper, Magpul CTR stock with Limbsaver, and a 2-7x optic, Leupold being my favorite choice also.  If you cant bring home the bacon-or venison-with this setup, it’s not the gun or the scope’s fault!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but IMO this is the perfect setup for the .458 S.  12.5-14” TROMIX upper, Magpul CTR stock with Limbsaver, and a 2-7x optic, Leupold being my favorite choice also.  If you cant bring home the bacon-or venison-with this setup, it’s not the gun or the scope’s fault!
View Quote

Thanks Big-Bore!
I was initially saving for a shorter barrel, but saw Tony's scratch and dent sale and couldn't pass up the 14" lightweight with bolt for $175.

Also, the Tromix muzzle brakes might work a bit better, but the Silencerco MB's primary purpose is as a suppressor mount, and I have to go with what fits the can.

-bob

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Happy2shoot:

I don't have a 458 socom but I do have a 50 Beowulf. I would never shoot that thing with a blade brace! Does it cut you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Happy2shoot:
Originally Posted By Unruely:
My 1st 458 Socom. Right now has an Anderson lower with blade brace (both to be changed soon) KAK 8" upper with KAK BCG and Diamondhead BUIS.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50488680923_eac3cc23ae_o.jpg121637370_3621059804572703_1463393493526569569_o by Martin Unrue, on Flickr

I don't have a 458 socom but I do have a 50 Beowulf. I would never shoot that thing with a blade brace! Does it cut you?

Its not very pleasant, but not comfortable by any means. Thats why its in the process of being changed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Here's my rig with a Tromix 14-16 upper and a Vortex Viper PST 1x6 scope on it. Its a fun rifle to shoot. Wife said my brothers  12" 6.5G is louder than the beast pictured

Thought with the fish gill brake and the amount of powder and gas from the SOCOM i would be louder lol
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
And yes my first LaRue  trigger went into this rifle.  A flat, skeletonize MBT2S. Well worth the price of admission. I like  G triggers too. They're is a 12" 6.8 pistol  and a 20" 556 rifle
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:38:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dubya3] [#7]
My 458 SOCOM

Aero XL upper
Aero Atlas R-One 15" handguard
LMT ambidextrous charging handle
Colt bolt carrier
Tromix 458 bolt
Tromix 16" Lightweight barrel
Tromix Radial Comp
Tromix lo-profile gas block
Lantac nitride gas tube
Midwest Industries 30mm mount
Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24

LMT MARS-L lower
LMT 2 stage trigger
Geissele Posi-Snap ambi safety (i don't like the stock LMT ambi safety)
PWS ratchet back plate/castle nut
Aero carbine buffer tube kit
Magpul SL-S stock & K2+ grip

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#8]
My SOCOM break next to a AR birdcageAttachment Attached File

Yes I know the birdcage is not timed I took off the suppressor and put on the birdcage just for comparison.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Tromix 12/Aero XL build. Only 100 rounds through it so far, but it’s been 100%. Really liking it so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:
Tromix 12/Aero XL build. Only 100 rounds through it so far, but it’s been 100%. Really liking it so far.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/281418/1D6B207A-2150-48FF-A717-EF914786E3BB_jpe-2035669.JPG
View Quote

Is that a Rex Silentium can?  And how well does it work?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/281418/1D6B207A-2150-48FF-A717-EF914786E3BB_jpe-2035669.JPG

It is a Rex and it definitely takes the bite off, though I wouldn’t consider it hearing safe.  This was specifically built for hunting and outside of the range, I’ve only ever fired one round at a time(no ringing afterward). If I was at the range, I had earpro and could only compare it to my Ops-Inc M4-M.  

It does sound quieter than my M4-M w/ 5.56, but that is clearly apples to oranges and they were close enough where it could simply be the difference in tone that made the Rex sound quieter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:36:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#13]
I've had this sitting for years now.  In addition I've got a bolt,  11.7" SLR Helix rail and SOCOM stock. All that's needed is a carrier,  barrel and sight (although I was planning on ordering a bolt with the barrel and keeping my new one as a spare).

Don't know if it'll ever get finished. I kind of lost interest. Might be better to pass it on.

A little more together (mocked up).

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Looks like you're at the Montgomery County Shooting Complex....
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#17]
bump for piktures
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Flintknapper:
Rigged up for hog hunting:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/Teppo_2.jpg

Stripped down for Deer Season:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/458a.jpg
View Quote

suhweet
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump for more pictures - still putting mine together....
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Man, I want one of these so bad. I'm envious gentlemen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Wish I still had my 10.5" 458 upper.
It was awesome with my Hybrid 46 and RCA adjustable carrier...
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:58:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kered] [#22]
Attachment Attached File

Tromix 16.25 lightweight barrel
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Tromix barrel and bolt
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]

What barrel and front sight post are you running?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#25]

What's your gas block clearance like? On the bottom of the handguard I mean.

I can only get a piece of printer paper between the MI combat and aero gas block. Business card is a no go.

The journal on the faxon gunner is .875

I'm wondering if I just need to replace the gas block or my handguard. I was only concerned about barrel whip. But to be honest it's going to be a 200 yard gun anyway.

The Upper:
Aero XL
Aero Gas Block
Faxon Gunner Barrel 16"
Faxon BCH
Wilson Combat Flash Hider
MI Combat handguard 12"ish
Strike Industries 7075 Charging Handle
Samson BUIS
Holosun Magnifier
PA MD-25 ACSS
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:22:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#26]
Try the TROY .875 gas block.  It is the thinnest I have found on the bottom from the factory and I have used several of them on .875 gas block seats with MI Gen 2, 3 and combat  handguards.  Or...take your gas block and thin the bottom on a belt sander, then touch up.  I've done that on several .875 gas blocks before discovering the TROYs.  Be sure to thin the set screws also or use shorter ones.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:00:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#27]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Try the TROY .875 gas block.  It is the thinnest I have found on the bottom from the factory and I have used several of them on .875 gas block seats with MI Gen 2, 3 and combat  handguards.  Or...take your gas block and thin the bottom on a belt sander, then touch up.  I've done that on several .875 gas blocks before discovering the TROYs.  Be sure to thin the set screws also or use shorter ones.
View Quote

Thank you I'll look into Troy. I also have another gas block I might be able to give a shot. I like to try these before belt sanding

Edit:

Damn $50, and most sites are back ordered.

I found a spare sadlak .875 in my parts bin.

It actually gave me some extra clearance, my only nitpick is that it's Phosphate. Ah well it will work, it will also be easier to grind down than something nitrided if I go that route.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:

I can only get a piece of printer paper between the MI combat and aero gas block. Business card is a no go.

I'm wondering if I just need to replace the gas block or my handguard. I was only concerned about barrel whip. But to be honest it's going to be a 200 yard gun anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/OODfavN.jpg

The Upper:
Aero XL
Aero Gas Block
Faxon Gunner Barrel 16"
Faxon BCH
Samson BUIS
Holosun Magnifier
PA MD-25 ACSS
View All Quotes

The Upper:
Aero XL
Aero Gas Block
Faxon Gunner Barrel 16"
Faxon BCH
Samson BUIS
Holosun Magnifier
PA MD-25 ACSS

Not sure the clearance, I'll have to check it.  Not sure that there is any minimum requirement.  If it clears, it clears?
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#30]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

Not sure the clearance, I'll have to check it.  Not sure that there is any minimum requirement.  If it clears, it clears?
View All Quotes

The Upper:
Aero XL
Aero Gas Block
Faxon Gunner Barrel 16"
Faxon BCH
Samson BUIS
Holosun Magnifier
PA MD-25 ACSS

Not sure on a definite measurement. No worries, was just wondering how tight it was for you since we had the same rail.

Shot free hand, it would probably be fine.

But the Aero precision gas block would definitely touching the inside of the rail if I put it on a rest or bipod. I can at least fit a business card between the gap now. On the plus side these combat rails don't flex much to begin with.

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:04:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#31]

Not sure on a definite measurement. No worries, was just wondering how tight it was for you since we had the same rail.

But the Aero precision gas block would definitely touching the inside of the rail if I put it on a rest or bipod. I can at least fit a business card between the gap now. On the plus side these combat rails don't flex much to begin with.

View All Quotes

The Upper:
Aero XL
Aero Gas Block
Faxon Gunner Barrel 16"
Faxon BCH
Samson BUIS
Holosun Magnifier
PA MD-25 ACSS

I'm using a Tromix upper, The rail is mounted very securely, does not flex on the SBR.  I looked at the top for clearance  Easy 1/8" clearance with the gas "band" that Tromix used.
I took a picture and will attach when it loads, this is same from their site. :
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Bump to keep up interest!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

8” Tromix guts on my SBR lower.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sticklebackbob:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486835/4110EF07-CFB5-481B-9353-91E689FB7CC5_jpe-2731058.JPG

8” Tromix guts on my SBR lower.
View Quote

Back in the ole timey days, I seem to recall someone produced an integrally suppressed 458. Seems like yours would be a good candidate for a can and still keep a managable length.

I am still of the mind 600 g subsonic pill out of a 458 makes the most sense, but I'd like to be corrected if my thinking is unsound.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#35]
My work in progress....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#36]
More pictures please....
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 3:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sticklebackbob] [#37]
Attachment Attached File

12” Tromix builder’s special. I’ll chase black bear and moose with this build this year.

ETA a clearer pic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Old pic but mostly the same...
RRA upper on PSA lowerAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:32:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#39]
Whatever you're socom's weighing in at because they could be deceptively lightweight due to the barrels bore. Just curious if someone made a lightweight build.

But the faxon Gunner barrel and the Midwest industries handguard the balance is very nice. Like the CTR stock add some weight to the back but the front feels super light.

Sadly I haven't been able to shoot mine yet but what's the recoil like is it similar to 12 gauge?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Whatever you're socom's weighing in at because they could be deceptively lightweight due to the barrels bore. Just curious if someone made a lightweight build.

But the faxon Gunner barrel and the Midwest industries handguard the balance is very nice. Like the CTR stock add some weight to the back but the front feels super light.

Sadly I haven't been able to shoot mine yet but what's the recoil like is it similar to 12 gauge?
View Quote

I’ve got the Tromix lightweight 12” a couple posts above. Without the scope and mag, it weighs a tad bit over 5.25 lbs. I think just under 7.5 lbs with a loaded mag and scope. Recoil is brisk with the ctr and no pad. I put 50 rounds through it to break it in one day. My shoulder was done for a a couple days thereafter.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:03:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NewCo32] [#41]
Hope ya'll don't mind if I bump this thread.

*ETA: This lower is usually reserved for my (fully rattle canned) 5.56 10.5" SBR but sometimes I run "the hammer" on it.  I haven't decided what optic that will live on it permanently yet. The RDS on it currently is a backup I had sitting in the safe. It's working so far but I might change it to an LPVO soon.  

Upper is made up of mostly TROMIX parts.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Looks good
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally got mine together...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Tromix 12" LW builders special on a SBR punisher lower and running a superlative adj gas block with a Rearden SPB.  Have to get to the range and see how she shoots and get it all adjusted.  I also have a Armaspec SCS big bore in the buffer to see how that does.  Plan to run my Sico hybrid 46 on it.  As for optics probably that holoson and a thermal for now.  I'll see once I shoot it some.

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top