Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 3:03:21 PM EDT
I bought a couple leather slings from Midway. They look good and appear well made and finished.
However, when I tried to oil them (Neatsfoot Oil) the oil would not sink in (overnight) - this has never happened to me. The finish on both sides is perfect - what type of leathers is this? Is this "Man Made Leather" as opposed to natural leather? Any ideas or experience.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps they are already treated with wax or silicone spray?  I waterproof some leather sheaths by heating them and spreading beeswax until it gets absorbed.  

See if a small spot will absorb water, a high end sling may have a good treatment done to it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the leather was sealed and will need washing to remove that finish it has. Many makers do that to make leather pretty knowing almost no young users will use polish or treatments on it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If they were drum dyed they're sealed in a way that won't really allow anything to penetrate them like vegetable tanned leather.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Dyed and sealed most likely. I would not do anything until it needs it. If you need to soften it, soak in warm water and let it dry. Then try just a tad of conditioner.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It is very well sealed. No skimping on this. I wish they were not sealed, but there are fine products nevertheless.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top