Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2020 9:36:00 PM EDT
Studies have found the main lead exposure from shooting is the primer. I have only found one non-frangible .223 round that has the Catalyst lead free primer: https://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-55-grain-fmjbt-federal-american-eagle-lead-free-primer-20-rounds

However it is not in stock anywhere and I can’t find it on Federal’s website. Maybe it’s a discontinued product?

Does anyone have experience with this ammo or can speak to its reliability or where to find it in bulk?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:32:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fiocchi was going to make a "Blue Guardian" line of ammo using lead free primers.

Not sure if it happened... ( covid )
View Quote

Doesn't look like you can buy it anywhere.

It's so weird to me that there isn't more focus on this considering lead primers are the main way you get exposure to lead as a shooter.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's so weird to me that there isn't more focus on this considering lead primers are the main way you get exposure to lead as a shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fiocchi was going to make a "Blue Guardian" line of ammo using lead free primers.

Not sure if it happened... ( covid )

Just my observations:

#1...... you are picking the absolute worst time to look at ammo availability and cost.............

-Yes, primers maybe the primary exposure method but VERY few people suffer from lead exposure now.  So the question is moot.
-If there is interest in LF ammunition, it seems to be govt/military who can spend alot of money on ALL the routes of toxic metal exposure.
-Mostly it is indoor ranges that are concerned and relatively speaking they don't shoot alot of rifle rounds.  Well not enough to outweigh the expense.        
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You get more lead exposure from your drinking water than you do from primers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You can safely send all of your non lead free primed ammo to me for safe disposal.   No charge because it is a non issue.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I would say that the real danger from the lead would be at the terminal end. Crowd control gases would also have an effect.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, there is a LOT of ignorance in this thread which probably explains why there isn't more interest.

There was a study posted on reddit recently if I can find it again, which showed that the AVERAGE blood lead levels in shooters firing as few as 200 rounds per month were significantly elevated. Also, the lead exposure from primers is not negligible (clearly as indicated by the study results), since fine particles that are inhaled are absorbed at a rate of almost 100%.

Here, I found the study - https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12940-017-0246-0

Some highlights...

Shooting at firing ranges results in the discharge of Pb dust, elevated BLLs, and exposures that are associated with a variety of adverse health outcomes. Women and children are among recreational shooters at special risk and they do not receive the same health protections as occupational users of firing ranges. Nearly all BLL measurements compiled in the reviewed studies exceed the current reference level of 5 µg/dL recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (CDC/NIOSH).

There are several sources of potential lead exposure from shooting guns and firing ranges. Most bullet projectiles are made from lead, but a large amount of lead is also present in the primer, composed of approximately 35% lead styphnate and lead peroxide (and also contains barium and antimony compounds), that ignites in a firearm barrel to provide the propulsion for the projectile [9–13]. A portion of the lead bullet disintegrates into fine fragments while passing through the gun due to misalignments of the gun barrel [9]. The lead particles, along with dust and fumes originating from the lead primer and the bullet fragments are ejected at high pressures (18,000–20,000 psi; 124–128 mpa) from the gun barrel, a large proportion of which occurs at right angles to the direction of fire in close proximity to the shooter [9]. The shooter can inhale fine Pb particulates (mainly from the primer) which constitutes the proximal exposure pathway.

Several studies focused on before-after comparisons of shooters, particularly shooters in military and police occupations, and found marked increases in BLL resulting from firing range activities. Tripathi et al. (1989) [9] measured BLLs in police cadets before, and 1, 2 and 5 days after starting shooting practice, and 69 days after the start of shooting. At 69 days after the start of shooting, the BLLs of the cadets remained above baseline levels prior to shooting. Rocha et al. (2014) [35] conducted a study of BLLs of police cadets before a shooting course and 3 days after the cessation of the shooting course. The mean BLL of cadets increased from 3.3 µg/dL (95% CI?=?3.0–3.6 µg/dL) before the course to 18.4 µg/dL (95% CI 16–21 µg/dL) 3 days after completion of the course. In all cases the BLL increased significantly after the course (p?<0.001). Within 3 days, the BLLs of the course instructors increased from 3.6 µg/dL to 22.1 µg/dL in one case and from 7.7 µg/dL to 18.3 µg/dL in another. Fischbein et al. (1979) [36] conducted a study of 23 firearms instructors and reported that the BLLs increased measurably after firearms training. Vivante et al. (2008) [37] reported a statistically significant (p?<0.001) increase in BLLs of 29 Israeli soldiers from a baseline of 10.3?±?2.0 µg/dL to 18.9?±?3.6 µg/dL six weeks after training.

So you guys can keep believing the common folk wisdom that you need to eat lead bullets to have a problem. Lead primers are awful for your health.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Science was weaponized a long time ago, unfortunately.

Anyone that thinks "the science is settled" does not do research.

Lead is bad, sure no kidding.

Feel free to get rid of it in our ammo.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
OP:

I'm sorry I didn't realize that this was going to turn into a sermon:

"......Wow, there is a LOT of ignorance in this thread which probably explains why there isn't more interest..........

Actually my comments have been based on my 36yrs of shooting........ not simply reading an article.  
So no, my comments aren't ignorant, they are based on facts.  

And yes, as ironic as this may be...... I've had my lead levels checked several times in my life.
Just as a good friend of mine who is a Police Firearms Instructor for 20?yrs has too......  No... no increases.    

So I'll say this another way.......  The reason "noone is concerned" about Lead Exposure is because it is a over-blown, lacking-in factual-basis,
unnecessary waste of resources..............  

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow, there is a LOT of ignorance in this thread which probably explains why there isn't more interest.
View Quote

Username checks out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP:

"......Wow, there is a LOT of ignorance in this thread which probably explains why there isn't more interest..........

Actually my comments have been based on my 36yrs of shooting........ not simply reading an article.  

And yes, as ironic as this may be...... I've had my lead levels checked several times in my life.
Just as a good friend of mine who is a Police Firearms Instructor for 20?yrs has too......  No... no increases.    

So I'll say this another way.......  The reason "noone is concerned" about Lead Exposure is because it is a over-blown, lacking-in factual-basis,

View Quote

Quoted for truth
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#17]
True Believers gonna believe...

Everyone else is an ignorant moron...

Forrest

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OP:

so because you and your friend haven't experienced elevated lead levels, the studies examining large samples of people are overblown... lol

I view any "science" related to firearms published by health journals, the CDC, etc as a hit piece. I can't help but notice that the article mentions women and children are especially at risk. Are there merits to the study? Maybe, but given the anti-gun stance of the aforementioned entities, I take anything they say with a grain of salt. It's sad that SCIENCE! is seldom any longer science but an agenda driven paper with monetary interests backing it.

It wasn't published by the CDC, it was published by independent researchers who quoted the CDC only to establish a reference range for when lead levels can be concerning.

People have an agenda yes and scientific publications aren't insulated from human nature. We've still known for a long time that lead is bad for you and so vaporizing it next to your nose is questionable.

And yet the lead-free primers that are so very necessary to save us from this scourge are...so rare as to be meaningless. But somehow we manage to shoot thousands of rounds a year and we’re not dropping dead from lead poisoning.

Well yeah, chronic low level lead exposure isn't really associated with just dropping dead, but more like, cognitive difficulties, fatigue, increased risks for certain cancers, bone issues, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Studies have found the main lead exposure from shooting is the primer. I have only found one non-frangible .223 round that has the Catalyst lead free primer: https://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-55-grain-fmjbt-federal-american-eagle-lead-free-primer-20-rounds

However it is not in stock anywhere and I can’t find it on Federal’s website. Maybe it’s a discontinued product?

Does anyone have experience with this ammo or can speak to its reliability or where to find it in bulk?
View Quote

OP:
You started this thread by asking the above questions and:
-It was explained to you that now is the worst time to try and find ammo of any type.  
-It was then inferred that noone has any experience with the ammo you asked about.  

You then started down the road of preaching to us your thoughts on lead poisoning......  which noone here has experienced or is in the least way concerned about.  

You call that ignorance.............  I call that reaching the end of a thread.  

Do you have a technical question to ask?
Because otherwise your questions have been answered......
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#22]
There are a few things not mentioned in the linked report but in one of the referenced reports:

WERE DATA GAPS IDENTIFIED IN ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS ABOVE? [Are lead levels a health hazard at ranges]  IS RESEARCH NEEDED TO FILL THOSE GAPS?

- Epidemiology studies of firing-range personnel are few.

- To the committee’s knowledge, size distribution and chemical speciation of airborne lead particles associated with firing ranges have not been performed. Such information could be used to estimate the bioavailability of the lead particles found in firing-range air.

- The CPA model used in the OSHA standard to predict BLLs from air lead concentrations may not be appropriate for direct application to firing-range personnel, so physiologically based pharmacokinetic or other dosimetry models may need to be developed for this purpose. Those models could consider other biometrics of exposure, such as bone and semen lead levels.

- The extent to which occupational oral exposure to lead-based dusts found in the firing-range environment by hand-to-mouth contact contributes to total lead body burden has not been adequately characterized.

- The immunotoxicity of low-level lead exposure has been incompletely studied in adults.

- Interactions between noise and lead exposure have been incompletely evaluated.

Some of these factors would seem to be rather important to assessing the health hazard posed by lead at ranges.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top