BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 6:15:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish the 5d jig made a full pocket cut.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Meaning? Im not all that familiar with 5D's results other than I hear you end up with a functional lower and the trigger slot unfortunately is oversized.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Meaning? Im not all that familiar with 5D's results other than I hear you end up with a functional lower and the trigger slot unfortunately is oversized.
View Quote
I like a full pocket cut like the original design, not a neutered semi auto pocket.

What a 5D pocket looks like.
Attachment Attached File

How the inside should look.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m skeptical of doing hand held machining but the jig and tooling is intriguing. So this is a router and drill press only project.

I was thinking about using some large 100% carbine drills to rough out the cavity.

Would the interrupted cut created by the material left from roughing the pocket create issues holding a trim router?

Do you think taking the denoted DOC in 1/3s is worth it?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like a full pocket cut like the original design, not a neutered semi auto pocket.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG-0716-124397.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130996/20200212_084851_jpg-1273339.JPG
View Quote
Cutting a full pocket is actually pretty easy, but current industry treads says, Why bother.  When producing AR receivers an extra couple of minutes can cut down profit margin over the span of a production run.

I have cut a bunch of full pocket lowers over the last few years, but almost nobody really wants them because they can't legally take advantage of the full pocket.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG-0716-124397.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130996/20200212_084851_jpg-1273339.JPG
View Quote
Thats perfectly clear, thank you. Id agree that it would be preferable if the 5D jig followed the original design in both pocket and trigger slot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats perfectly clear, thank you. Id agree that it would be preferable if the 5D jig followed the original design in both pocket and trigger slot.
View Quote
I understand the pocket issue.  What’s the pros and cons of the oversized trigger slot?

Why did 5d choose those features?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I understand the pocket issue.  What's the pros and cons of the oversized trigger slot?

Why did 5d choose those features?
View Quote
It lets them use a single end mill to finish the entire pocket.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cutting a full pocket is actually pretty easy, but current industry treads says, Why bother.  When producing AR receivers an extra couple of minutes can cut down profit margin over the span of a production run.

I have cut a bunch of full pocket lowers over the last few years, but almost nobody really wants them because they can't legally take advantage of the full pocket.
View Quote
Another argument for the smaller pocket is it gives the lower slightly more strength through the rear part.  One way that lowers can fail is to crack and break around the rear take down pin.  I had an older pre-ban cast lower break that way many years ago.  They can also break from the selector hole through to the back.  Now, I think that a forged or billet lower is probably more than strong enough even with a full cut pocket, but some people find the little bit of extra meat reassuring.  On the other end, those that are obsessed with weight may prefer the full cut pocket because it takes a fraction of an ounce more metal out.  Really a matter of preference.  Probably for most people it has basically negligible impact on functionality either way.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Old school tag
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#12]
While many say the antiwalk pins are unnecessary, I go a step further.  I use antiwalk pins and ambidextrous safeties.  Using both on a pre-anodized lower completely covers the exposed milled/drilled areas of the assembled rifle/pistol.  Nice clean look.

Alumiblack helps, but I've seen many with heavy burrs and even chipped anodizing.  The antiwalk pins and ambi safeties hide it all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
To remove the guide pins, I use the Allen wrench that I removed the retaining screws with. I just insert it and gently walk it around.

My 5d pro has done ~12 lowers, my guide pins still need a little help coming out(which I like).

Has anyone had to, or just replaced because they wanted to, the bearing in the router base for the bit? I've been thinking about replacing mine, it seems a little noisier than I recall it being when new.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, what cutting bit are you using?

I still have my original 4 flute from my kit, but started using the new 3 flute bit that 5d now sells after about my 9th lower. It cuts fine, and it's pretty damn smooth, but not glass like, like the 4 flute bit was.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
@AFCarbon15

Design a desktop CNC machine to do 80% lowers for us.

Write the CAD code, also.

Needs to be super cheap and easy to assemble from parts we can order off the internet.

We already have the routers, most of us.

If you're into that stuff...

Thanks for thinking about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@AFCarbon15

Design a desktop CNC machine to do 80% lowers for us.

Write the CAD code, also.

Needs to be super cheap and easy to assemble from parts we can order off the internet.

We already have the routers, most of us.

If you're into that stuff...

Thanks for thinking about it.
View Quote
I'm way too into that stuff.  I've been heavy into manual and old school 'smithing lately though.  I have however accumulated about half of the parts for a CNC router.  While it would have been easy to build one for just engraving, I want it to be a little more capable for other CNC projects.  It all takes time and I work 60+ hours a week at my day job.

One could make some coin putting one together, documenting it all, Amazon affiliate links and youtube how-to's.  If one were so inclined
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
That's what I was thinking. Design it, build it, test it, do a video, and link the parts.

Then 10,000 arfcomers click on it and you get something for your troubles.

Speaking of which, why don't you promote your YouTube channel more? At least something in your signature line. Or do I have the wrong person?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Not sure who you're thinking of, I do have some stuff out there, but no, I don't promote it.  Most aren't "refined".  Basically just raw footage.  I have one video of milling a lower in my 80% thread.  And a few others.  Mostly just not the quality of production I'd like.  Maybe one day...

Related video:
First Cut with the Arduino Mill Power Feed V1pt0

Another
Milling an 80 Percent Lower with a DIY Arduino Power Feed

A favorite
GB22 My Knock-off of Mark Serbu's Design GB-22
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Off topic a bit but I have a few 80% arms lowers and a easy gen 2 jig inbound.  Anyone have experience with the 80% arms and 5D jig and what are the differences?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine does. Not hard to modify it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mine does. Not hard to modify it.
View Quote
How did you achieve that?
@RenegadeX
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How did you achieve that?
@RenegadeX
View Quote
I have a M16 to reverse engineer off of.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#26]
@PursuitSS valuable first hand information.  Thank you very much for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have a M16 to reverse engineer off of.
View Quote
Would you be down to modify my jig for $?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top