Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2020 10:41:17 PM EDT
Here is my latest build that was all spurred on thanks to a Brownells blem lower that I picked up a couple months ago at a great price. Most of the other parts I've had in the stash for a while. The upper is a square forge 604, the bolt carrier group is original slickside chrome Colt with narrow band chrome bolt. The fire control group, buffer, and buffer tube is all Colt from one of the recent parts kits.The stock is a type C that I picked up a couple years ago for $10. The grip is the first pattern black grip with skinny profile and recessed checkering. The barrel is a 1x9 for JSE Surplus that I sent to John Thomas to get an original no drain hole front sight base mounted up. The mag in the pictures is a Colt "circle 1". I did some light faux aging to the lower and barrel, mostly just buffing to add some sheen to the finish like a used rifle would have. Overall I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I'm looking forward to getting to shoot it soon.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Really nice! Well done sir
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet build!  I love the mottling on the buttstock!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow! Beautiful build, really like the stock set on this
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, that turned out great!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Splendid OP.  I like.  Love seeing pictures of these kinds of builds.  Eye candy fer sure.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice 604.  Great parts sourcing.  Add another to the collection.  Hope it shoots great.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a great looking early 604 upper
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks great, what barrel do you have on it
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Retroenthusiast67:
Looks great, what barrel do you have on it
View Quote

It was a stripped barrel from JSE Surplus. Non chrome lined with 1x9 twist. The finish is very nice dark gray and retro appropriate. Also it was pretty easy on the pocketbook.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
There’s just something about slick side uppers and lowers. I just can’t get enough of them. Thanks for all the compliments guys.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Beautiful! I'm jelly!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m1carbinekid:

It was a stripped barrel from JSE Surplus. Non chrome lined with 1x9 twist. The finish is very nice dark gray and retro appropriate. Also it was pretty easy on the pocketbook.
View Quote

Ah good to hear you like that barrel and that the phosphate color is about right. Perfect choice for the money for a circa 1964-67 build! This morning I ordered that barrel for an XM16E1 build. JSE Surplus also has a nitride treated variant but that one is jet black. Hopefully the one I get is dark gray like yours, maybe something like my Colt C MP B barrel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice build, 'kid! I love it when someone manages to find so many original parts.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top