Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2023 8:07:57 PM EDT
Had an idea for making a late war A2.
Not everything is period correct, but functional.
The lower is the PSA US Govt property marked M16A2
Upper I believe is an Armalite or RRA?
Barrel is a Windham government
RAS is KAC SAS M5
Colt’s waffle stock & grip
Sling is a wilderness that I’ve had since the 90’s!
ARMS #22 mount with riser (perfect 1/3 lower sight picture) with clonepoint.

It’s a heavy one, but wow does it feel nice!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

I've been wanting to track down a H6 buffer but I've not been able to find one in stock as of late.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!

I've been wanting to track down a H6 buffer but I've not been able to find one in stock as of late.
View Quote

Thanks! I'm actually using a 3.8oz 308 buffer for now (not sure of function) but wanted some extra weight.
Will eventually get a Geisselle spring and buffer set up, and as funds allow, tier 1 buffer tube and BCG.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a fun rifle. I have a great love for 20" guns
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool, I've always wanted to put an Aimpoint on a gooseneck mount and try it on an A2. Where it's mounted on the RAS is about where it sits with a gooseneck, so basically the same idea.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#5]
If the Marine Corps did this instead of the A4 I bet they'd still be rocking the 20" barrel.

I did something similar once but with a DD omega rail and an aimpoint T1.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I dig it. I hope it's a swell shooter for you. I was issued a A2 back in "97 at Camp Pendleton. I've had heaps of rifles of all varieties since then but the A2 finally had enough real estate in my head that I built one of my own over the winter. Hands down my favorite gun to shoot on the range. I used a WW barrel assembly and it is a solid shooter.

We're collapsible stocks used on the muskets towards the end of the GWOT?

Be careful if you slide into the anything retro world. I've got a small fortune worth of 782 gear inbound this week.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like a fun rifle. I have a great love for 20" guns
View Quote

Same here, over half my 'fleet' is 20's or at least full length handguards.

Quoted:
Very cool, I've always wanted to put an Aimpoint on a gooseneck mount and try it on an A2. Where it's mounted on the RAS is about where it sits with a gooseneck, so basically the same idea.
View Quote

Hi Hip, thx! the idea came from a photo that was on ARFcom of an actual set up in the sand box, though that one had the A2 stock and a mag pouch, but the optic was mounted to the RAS, I head the aimpoint was ultimately too heavy for the goose neck and was abandoned for this reason.

Quoted:
If the Marine Corps did this instead of the A4 I bet they'd still be rocking the 20" barrel.

I did something similar once but with a DD omega rail and an aimpoint T1.
View Quote

You may be right, the set up does have a USMC feel to it :)
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dig it. I hope it's a swell shooter for you. I was issued a A2 back in "97 at Camp Pendleton. I've had heaps of rifles of all varieties since then but the A2 finally had enough real estate in my head that I built one of my own over the winter. Hands down my favorite gun to shoot on the range. I used a WW barrel assembly and it is a solid shooter.

We're collapsible stocks used on the muskets towards the end of the GWOT?

Be careful if you slide into the anything retro world. I've got a small fortune worth of 782 gear inbound this week.
View Quote

Thx excited to bust come caps with it!
Yes, there are photos of the old girls with sliders on them towards the end. I think MP's and engineers were the most common users?
Lol, I'm coming out of the retro world, built all the oldies that make my heart sing, with the exception of a La France M16K clone :)
Which one is the 782?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thx excited to bust come caps with it!
Yes, there are photos of the old girls with sliders on them towards the end. I think MP's and engineers were the most common users?
Lol, I'm coming out of the retro world, built all the oldies that make my heart sing, with the exception of a La France M16K clone :)
Which one is the 782?
View Quote

I believe the collapsible buttstock as a conversion for A2s and A4s was authorized by the Army in 2011.  The kit, which consisted of basically the standard M4 extension and waffle stock, also included an H6 buffer.  The H6 buffer weighs somewhere in between an H2 and an H3.  I only saw a few in real life, all with A2 handguards.  The first was carried by a small statured female Soldier at Ft. Rucker, while the other two I saw in Afghanistan at Bagram's fixed wing terminal, presumably issued to Soldados in support MOSs whose MTOE didn't rate M4s or M4A1s.  

I liked the idea so much I built my own clone, replete with an H6 buffer.  I'll post some pics later.  It really is an improvement for many uses over the A2 stock and makes the old A2s and A4s much more user friendly to shooters among a wide range of statures.  If fiscal responsibility really mattered to the DoD, which it doesn't, they could have saved quite a lot simply by issuing such retro-fitted rifles to those in support specialties who were unlikely to find themselves conducting operations that required the regular and rapid unassing of a vehicle or aircraft or the clearing of structures.

As strange as this conversion looks to those who cut their teeth on the A2 or A4, shoulder one and you might change your mind.  Of course my feedback only applies to the conversion still using the round handguards, as it likely feels pretty front-heavy with the RAS installed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe the collapsible buttstock as a conversion for A2s and A4s was authorized by the Army in 2011.  The kit, which consisted of basically the standard M4 extension and waffle stock, also included an H6 buffer.  The H6 buffer weighs somewhere in between an H2 and an H3.  I only saw a few in real life, all with A2 handguards.  The first was carried by a small statured female Soldier at Ft. Rucker, while the other two I saw in Afghanistan at Bagram's fixed wing terminal, presumably issued to Soldados in support MOSs whose MTOE didn't rate M4s or M4A1s.  

I liked the idea so much I built my own clone, replete with an H6 buffer.  I'll post some pics later.  It really is an improvement for many uses over the A2 stock and makes the old A2s and A4s much more user friendly to shooters among a wide range of statures.  If fiscal responsibility really mattered to the DoD, which it doesn't, they could have saved quite a lot simply by issuing such retro-fitted rifles to those in support specialties who were unlikely to find themselves conducting operations that required the regular and rapid unassing of a vehicle or aircraft or the clearing of structures.

As strange as this conversion looks to those who cut their teeth on the A2 or A4, shoulder one and you might change your mind.  Of course my feedback only applies to the conversion still using the round handguards, as it likely feels pretty front-heavy with the RAS installed.
View Quote

Thanks for your insights, agree on the nose heavy part. Generally I like to have the broom handle much closer to magwell, but the weight of the RAS and optic make it unwieldly. Move the handle to just forward of the optic and the manipulation becomes much easier and faster. I have the ARMS mount that moves the optic to the carry handle, and may do that as I generally prefer a heads up stance for quicker shooting, but will see how it plays out at the range. Will look for an H6 as I think this set up is a keeper :)
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]
You sir are speaking my language, that is a nice rifle. I went with a little 80’s flair myself…

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I built a replica of what I carried in Iraq from 04-05.
All Colt except the receivers, safety and CH latch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You sir are speaking my language, that is a nice rifle. I went with a little 80’s flair myself…

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52790191337_b0b7da7dd0_k.jpg
View Quote

Looks good, but how much road did you need to get to 88mph? ;)
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I built a replica of what I carried in Iraq from 04-05.
All Colt except the receivers, safety and CH latch.
https://i.ibb.co/9hYKdWd/IMG-0456.jpg
View Quote

Nice and clean, well done! I love the standard A2 as well, but I have a Delta Hbar clone, so had to be just a little different.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52790191337_b0b7da7dd0_k.jpg
View Quote

Very cool
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top