Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2021 7:12:12 PM EDT
Hi. I am new to the forum. Received my pistol in .45 ACP last week after a 6 months wait. Put 70 rounds through so far. Works flawlessly so far and is just what I've been looking for: a low recoil pistol as I age. (72). This gun is very pleasant to shoot. I also purchased a compensator which makes it a bit more comfortable to shoot. I have difficulty bending my neck to the stock when shooting at shoulder height so I was hoping to find a laser to shoot from the hip. My target range is 25 yards. It looks like most shooters use a red dot sight. Any information on lasers or any other advice appreciated. Thanks and I enjoy reading all the posts. Mike
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
There are good ones and there are junk ones when discussing "visible" lasers. Some prefer green and others red. Personal preference. Depending on the material on which the beam falls, I find green can become distracting as compared to red. Green has been assessed to be more visible to the human eye. Green normally costs more and some (most) consume more battery power.

You want a laser with a common battery / batteries and easy access to the battery

You want the az/el (windage / elevation) adjustments to have a broad window of adjustment. Some don't.

You want near or at maximum legal outout power of 5 milliwatts (5mW).

Rather than recommend a laser, I too highly suggest you go over to the lights/laser section for a more detailed source to assist you in your decision-making process.

Have no concern for those who are "anti-laser". Your scenario is perfect for the use of a visible laser though, it should be known, lasers, optics, everything in life, have their own inherent weaknesses and limitations.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are good ones and there are junk ones when discussing "visible" lasers. Some prefer green and others red. Personal preference. Depending on the material on which the beam falls, I find green can become distracting as compared to red. Green has been assessed to be more visible to the human eye. Green normally costs more and some (most) consume more battery power.

You want a laser with a common battery / batteries and easy access to the battery

You want the az/el (windage / elevation) adjustments to have a broad window of adjustment. Some don't.

You want near or at maximum legal outout power of 5 milliwatts (5mW).

Rather than recommend a laser, I too highly suggest you go over to the lights/laser section for a more detailed source to assist you in your decision-making process.

Have no concern for those who are "anti-laser". Your scenario is perfect for the use of a visible laser though, it should be known, lasers, optics, everything in life, have their own inherent weaknesses and limitations.
View Quote

I may have to check that site out.  Why would anyone be anti-laser?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input! I have been checking the laser/light forum but haven't found any info. yet with anyone who mounted one yet.  I had a red laser on my Beretta Tomcat and it showed up well at 15' but it wouldn't hold my aim point well and I sent it back. That was 10+ years ago. I would try both colors to see which suits my vision. I would be using this 99% in daylight . I emailed Crimson Trace today as they have a green laser/light comb which I don't want or need so I inquired about just the laser. This is the only one I  found for AR's specifically as most seem to be for pistols, revolvers and now shotguns. Thanks again for your help and the search is 1/2 the fun for me. Occupies lots of time when alone. Mike
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input! I have been checking the laser/light forum but haven't found any info. yet with anyone who mounted one yet.  I had a red laser on my Beretta Tomcat and it showed up well at 15' but it wouldn't hold my aim point well and I sent it back. That was 10+ years ago. I would try both colors to see which suits my vision. I would be using this 99% in daylight . I emailed Crimson Trace today as they have a green laser/light comb which I don't want or need so I inquired about just the laser. This is the only one I  found for AR's specifically as most seem to be for pistols, revolvers and now shotguns. Thanks again for your help and the search is 1/2 the fun for me. Occupies lots of time when alone. Mike
View Quote

Won't happen at distances greater than 5-7 meters or so unless you have the time to "find" the laser dot and then, perhaps a doubtful max of 20 meters or so. Unless you can acquire an illegally - powered one. Or the target is in shadows, very cloudy, etc. Simply put, forget about using a visible laser in full light.

But then again, if true that the reported average shooting is at distance <21 ft, perhaps there is a case made for relying on a visible laser during full daylight. Go get a cheap laser pointer and try assorted distances. it'll be a decent simulator for a laser sighting/targeting device.

Those you see for gun other than ARs are typically fine assuming they can mount to a rail. Speaking of, in case you or other don't know, mount it and optics within the rail slots fully forward then tightened well. When the weapon is discharged, all that shit wants to move forward and the gun moves backwards.

There are also a couple/a few tactical light / laser combos out there.  Two of mine are your basic Crimson Trace. One red and one green. Both are excellent.

Zeroing: If mounted on rail top, the adjustments are as indicated on the device / instructions. If "flipped" when mounting beneath or sides, merely "swap" adjustments. Windage becomes elevation and elevation windage.

If mounted on bottom and you use a ballistic calculator, one thing to remember. Where you enter "sight height", many calculators allow a "negative" height entry. This is what you want to do if the laser is mounted beneath.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Oh yeah, got to thinking again about the "average" reported distances of a shooting. If indeed under 21 ft, just point and fire.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I may have to check that site out.  Why would anyone be anti-laser?
View Quote

Narrow-minded, little to no firearm experience other than dwelling in a basement going "pew, pew, pew", other reasons. Dumbasses. That's the word i was looking for.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the “TRUGLO Micro-TAC Handgun Micro Laser Sight” $60 on amazon.

I have it mounted on my top rail where the front iron would be. Very compact. Works well with my red dot sight.

The controls are a little small, but I like it.

Looks a little like this
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I use the “TRUGLO Micro-TAC Handgun Micro Laser Sight” $60 on amazon.

I have it mounted on my top rail where the front iron would be. Very compact. Works well with my red dot sight.

The controls are a little small, but I like it.

Looks a little like this
https://i.imgur.com/Gvk95e6.jpg
View Quote

Hope yours is doing well. I have one sitting in a drawer. Absolute piece of garbage.

Small adjustment windows

Very low power (<1mW)

Batteries are a bunch of bs

I went through 3 battery retention screws due to the allen being poorly spec'd and the metal very weak.

Really hoped it would work. The compact size was great but the rest garbage. They sent a replacement and there was no difference. I finally said screw it and tossed it into a drawer.

On the other hand, I had a TruGlo Tru-Tec red dot / laser combo that was very decent but huge. https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-TRU-TEC-30mm-Tactical-Sight/dp/B07B4QZXL5
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi to all. Reporting that I bought a L101G Green Laser from Amazon for $40 (Lasercross)I mounted it about 3" from the barrel opening. I zeroed it on my wall at 12'...just guessing and eyeballing along the rail the night I got it.  I was lucky as I took it to my range in bright sunlight today on a very large brown cardboard target. The first shot looked like it hit spot on. I fired all 12 shots not really concentrating and they all hit a good group. I then shot 24 rounds with the same effect. I was 25' away. I started the sight dot at 10' and slowly walked back. At around 20' I really had to concentrate on the dot being in bright noon sunlight. I then could barely see it at 25' but after my first shot I just aimed at the bullet hole. I was just amazed! I am sending two photos that I hope will come through. Ia It was simple to mount and zero in on my wall. I also rigged up my hand net I bought many years ago and put two wire ties on to the gun and it caught 33 out of 36 shells as it wasn't quite closed on the bottom. I will be buying a new net with the zipper on the bottom. How nice not to have to bend, look for and pick up the shells. I am hoping to learn where to aim without the laser on. I always have been very accurate when pitching baseballs, basketballs and snowballs since young...... I see that I don't know how to attach photos from my PC file. Mike
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm happy to hear you got something that works.

I can't abide a rechargeable anything anymore.  Best if you keep it plugged in or use it often.

My stuff seems to sit disused for long periods then lo and behold no charge and wont charge...

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#11]
My green laser has held battery power for 3 weeks unused...I charged it anyway and it only took re 10 minutes to reach full charge. It low light is very visible @25 yards. I haven't shot further yet. Am very happy with it.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top