Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2021 3:58:52 PM EDT
So, this whole primer drought has me thinking.  I want to do another build, but I want to do it in something I can feed.  There is 22LR, but I already have 2 uppers.  I have a boatload of large pistol primers but only about 1k small left so don't want to do a small primer build.  Was thinking 10mm cause I think we might be able to mod a P-Mag.  I don't do Glock so 45 ACP is a non-starter for me although I do see some lowers that work with grease gun mags.  What else is there that could be loaded with LP primers?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Any of the .458 SOCOM cartridges, .458 and .375 are factory available, but if you talk nice to Tony you might be able to score a .358 SOCOM or .475 SOCOM.  They all use the .458 SOCOM case and LP primers.  You don't have to use Magnum primers but most do, especially with H110 but in the .358 and .375, with powders like AR-COMP, LP primers will do just fine.

You could also do the .338 Spectre, it uses 10mm magnum brass and LP primers with 6.8 magazines and 6.8 bolt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Man I'd love to see a 45 Colt build. No real reason other than I'd love to load up Goex and cloud up the range with a mag dump.

And you could get a bunch of Buffalo Bore +P rounds  and deliver a lot of pain downrange.

Yes, I realize there would be a lot of logistical hurdles, particularly magazines.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any of the .458 SOCOM cartridges, .458 and .375 are factory available, but if you talk nice to Tony you might be able to score a .358 SOCOM or .475 SOCOM.  They all use the .458 SOCOM case and LP primers.  You don't have to use Magnum primers but most do, especially with H110 but in the .358 and .375, with powders like AR-COMP, LP primers will do just fine.

You could also do the .338 Spectre, it uses 10mm magnum brass and LP primers with 6.8 magazines and 6.8 bolt.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  They are Win LP primers so are good for standard and magnum loads so that shouldn't be an issue.  The 358 sounds interesting.  I am doing a 450 BM right now (because I have a pile of .452" pills) so the 458 wouldn't be practical.  I have a 357 so lots of bullets there as well.  I assume that since the 358 uses the SOCOM case I could use my 458 bolt that I got for my 450.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, that is correct.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
So if someone is building, what are the pros and cons of .450 Bushmaster and .458 SOCOM?

I can handload if that makes a difference.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So if someone is building, what are the pros and cons of .450 Bushmaster and .458 SOCOM?

I can handload if that makes a difference.

View Quote

Personally I went with the 450 because I have a pile of .452" bullets already.  Now that small primers are hard to find and I have a pile of large primers I am having second thoughts.  Might build a 458 too, ha.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Personally I went with the 450 because I have a pile of .452" bullets already.  Now that small primers are hard to find and I have a pile of large primers I am having second thoughts.  Might build a 458 too, ha.
View Quote

Hmmm...  I think I maybe only have 8 or 10 thousand small primers split between small rifle and small pistol...  So I need to check how many large I have.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top