Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2021 11:28:50 AM EDT
Looking to upgrade for durability and the POF roller pins seem hard to come by. Is the Lantac domed cam pin a good option? I currently have LWRC M6A2, Wolf T91, and Adams systems and would like to reduce wear and tear.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the POF and its real nice. Tombstone tactical in PHX usually has them on the shelf.

They don"t offer it on their website but they do have this...

POF
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#2]
the POF seems like more to go wrong and gum up?

I'd go with the domed by the KISS principle but have no personal exp with either
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the POF seems like more to go wrong and gum up?

I'd go with the domed by the KISS principle but have no personal exp with either
View Quote

There's not much to gum up in a piston setup.

I have a few of the POF rollers installed and have no problems, but I do have a greater perception of smoothness as far as manually cycling the bolt goes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I grabbed a couple POFs for my 516s.  They are very nice, but I do worry about them as another point of failure. The roller seems held onto the body with a narrow pin.  Any high round count feedback on the POF?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Regular 20 in AR, POF roller cam, made it through 2 barrels and is on its third right now, so cumulative round count is in the 10-11000 range so far. No problems. Flush it with hoppes and add a drop or two of whatever oil when I clean it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been slowly upgrading all of my gas rifle cam pins to either the Lantac domed or V7 enhanced pins. I haven't received my V7's yet but with the Lantac domed I can noticeably tell while manually cycling them that there's no more dragging. I'm hoping that this will reduce any stress from friction.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Regardless of round count, I would not want to introduce another point of failure and maintenance.

What is the major benefit over the domed pin?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
It was available 10 years ago and the domed wasn’t.. ???????
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Stick with a standard flat sided cam pin. The roller pins reduce contact surface area and create a dent/damage to the receiver aft of the cam pin relief cutout over time.

Especially if using an extra strength extractor spring or extractor O ring.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have tried V7, hydra-fire, POF, lantac, and POF. I prefer my POF and have never had one break, gum up, or fail.

The others are good, but I prefer the POF cam pin.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Regular 20 in AR, POF roller cam, made it through 2 barrels and is on its third right now, so cumulative round count is in the 10-11000 range so far. No problems. Flush it with hoppes and add a drop or two of whatever oil when I clean it.
View Quote

@panzer  Have you noticed any peening of the track as suggested by APSArmament?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of us had a Bootleg BCG's cam pin do that. Installed the Lantac domed, no more surface damage. If doing a google image search, plenty of other uppers that were damaged by regular OEM cam pins. What happened to APS sounds like more like tolerance stacking. My Noveske, Colt, BCM, Sionics, and FCD BCG's don't do it. But some of my Toolcraft and one Bootleg have. SOTAR has been favorable about Lantac domed pins.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
None from the roller gun. Now, Out of 20+ AR’s the three A2’s with regular parts and a 458 socom with regular parts, are the only ones I have had do it, or rather, did it enough I even noticed. One A2 was pretty bad the others are pretty slight. Out of the 4-5 A2 match uppers I was issued or used on the All Guard team, they all had it too. From slight to it looked like it was gouged pretty good. Never seemed to be an issue. Thinking about it I don’t really recall ever noticing it except on A2/A4’s (458 being the exception, but I kinda expect weird shit to wear etc on that one, it has broken a takedown pin ??) and I vaguely recall getting that roller to prevent damage on a then new build. That upper has been a competition rifle, seen a few barrels and handguard configurations, etc, (all 20 in barrels) and now settled down into my SDM clone upper now, and it’s doing great.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top