Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2022 8:58:19 PM EDT
I did look through the pages for this topic so forgive me if it's redundant, but I have to ask just in case others hadn't noticed this.

I recently bought some 30 rd. Lancer L5 AWM mags before they get "large capacity" banned here in WA State starting July 1st. Believe me, the irony of these being banned in the month the country celebrates freedom, has not escaped me, but I digress.

I was loading them and counting (as most of us probably do) and stopped. Wait. Did I lose count? Nawwwww. Unloaded and re-loaded. What the heck?! Sure enough, I can get 31 rounds into them! I hadn't noticed this before and will swear the first ones I bought about 5 yrs ago, would only hold 30 rds. (well, 29 for loadability) just like the Pmags.
Has anyone else noticed this or am I just late figuring this out?
With the impending mag ban bearing down on us like the Roadrunner driving the steamroller over Wylie Coyote, I decided to place another order for 5 more with DSG Arms . I work at a hospital in Radiology and do plenty of ER patients, so inquired about qualifying for the First Responder discount. Thankfully they signed me on, and now I get the best pricing for Lancer mags at $12.95 and, I think, $7 shipping, which is holy crap FAST! Like 3-4 days without paying extra for expedited shipping. Hell, there's times when Amazon Prime stuff fails to arrive that fast.
I always lube the inside of my mags so they're less gritty feeling. As a cyclist, there's some cool stuff out there that can cross over, like this shifter lube called Jonnisnot . This stuff is, in fact, slicker than snot. Get it on your fingers and it's hard to hold onto stuff but works great for safety selectors and takedown pins, and the like. I use a chain lube called White Lightning  on my chains but also works great for the inside of my mags because it's paraffin/wax type lube that dries but acts as a non-greasy lubricant that doesn't attract dirt- perfect for mags!
I wiped my mags out first using surgical towels- no idea where you can get these but you want them because they don't leave lint, the colors will never bleed, and they get better the more times you wash them, along with a set of Curved Kochers (say: Coke-er). Note the tooth on the front. It's perfect for grabbing and pulling stuff. If you don't have a pair of these, get them. You'll wonder why the hell you never had a set before.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I used a cheapo spray bottle from Amazon to spray the White Lightning inside the mags, the spring, and follower because it's runny like water and hard to control. Because it's wax-based, you do not want to get this on your clothes as it could be there well past 1 or 2 washings, if not forever. After it's sprayed, reassemble then use an old toothbrush to cycle the follower. Done. All was smooth and without worry of gumming up from grease.
Attachment Attached File
Clean Streak
The Clean Streak  you see in the background of the White Lightning is an amazing cleaner and degreaser that's good for the trigger group. Just like on my chains, I spray in on and it evaporates, miraculously taking the grease or lube with it, but leaving a clean surface to re-lube or grease. If you've painted your rifle, don't get to crazy because it is a cleaner and will take paint off if you leave it too long.
Hope you find all this a help and not a bore and maybe some new products you'd never heard of that can be of use to you.
Thanks for letting me share.

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used a Lancer made in the last 5 years but I recall people having trouble seating them with 30rds especially on a closed bolt. Pmags easily took 31 and weren't hard to seat.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine only hold 11.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I just had my first Lancers show up today. Loaded one with a full 30, and it was easier then my gen 2 pmags to seat on a closed bolt.

I'll try stuffing another round or two in when I get home.

ETA: started loading mine. Holds 31, and only a little tighter than a gen 2 pmag at 30.

Keeping mine at 30 though, easier to divide ammo in 10s
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd bet Lancer adjusted the length of the followers "legs" slightly shorter.

It doesn't take much.

As a matter of fact, Lancer would suggest doing that to the older hard to seat 30rder's.

The catch-22 is... if you take to much off the followers legs, and then drop a fully loaded mag ( any brand ) on a hard surface, the ammo stack can bounce down , and then burp rounds out.
View Quote
Before I purchased mine, I read a few times that they are hard to insert on a closed bolt. In my sample size of 6 new manufacture mags, they are easier than gen 2 and 3 pmags on a closed bolt.

Being able to accept 31 rounds, you can down load to 30, for those that prefer down loading

They probably did change the follower design, and I welcome the easy insertion.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Test the L5's in each rifle before trusting them.  Some of my guns run well with them, but my Aug will double feed occasionally and one of my 12.5"  has multiple FTF's with Lancers.  I've pretty much gone back to PMAG's and Surefeeds for everything.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They probably did change the follower design, and I welcome the easy insertion.
View Quote
Easy insertion is a welcome thing, indeed, if we're being honest.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just had my first Lancers show up today. Loaded one with a full 30, and it was easier then my gen 2 pmags to seat on a closed bolt.

I'll try stuffing another round or two in when I get home.

ETA: started loading mine. Holds 31, and only a little tighter than a gen 2 pmag at 30.

Keeping mine at 30 though, easier to divide ammo in 10s
View Quote
I'll have to find some of my first purchases and compare the followers, just to see if that the difference. If that's all it'd take to add an extra round, dare I say, two, it'd be worth it here in WA state, if for no other reason than the ability to change it from a "High capacity" magazine, to an "even more capacity" magazine.
Gov Inslee: Is that a banned, high capacity magazine you have there?
Me: No, sir, it's even more capacity, but not high capacity, or even a super-sized capacity.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Easy insertion is a welcome thing, indeed, if we're being honest.
View Quote
They need a sticker that says "slip it in"
Quoted:
I'll have to find some of my first purchases and compare the followers, just to see if that the difference. If that's all it'd take to add an extra round, dare I say, two, it'd be worth it here in WA state, if for no other reason than the ability to change it from a "High capacity" magazine, to an "even more capacity" magazine.
Gov Inslee: Is that a banned, high capacity magazine you have there?
Me: No, sir, it's even more capacity, but not high capacity, or even a super-sized capacity.
View Quote
Oregon may be right behind you with an upcoming ballot initiative.

I'm gonna have to order another 6 pack or 12 before November. Plus some stripped lowers as it would also require licenses and training to buy.

State cop: Are those post ban high capacity magazine clips?

Me: No sir, they're pre ban standard capacity, but I can squeeze 1 more in if I try.

Here's hoping the Bruen ruling and changing 2a to strict scrutiny helps us out
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top