Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2019 9:49:07 AM EDT
First, I’m new here and still figuring out where to find answers  in the forums.

Does anyone have an opinion or evidence that Lancer mags  will break or malfunction from being worn daily?

Are they all for looks, or functionality as well?

Bear in mind these mags will be worn day-to-day in life or death situations.

Thanks guys! Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Lancer has a very good reputation. I think you'll be fine.

That being said, if you have reservations, there are many, many choices out there when it comes to AR mags. Steel, aluminium, polymer, in all the colors of the rainbow. You can't go wrong with PMags and/or Okay Surefeeds. Crogers23 found a source for steel mags that seem to be high quality and work well. Check out his thread. It's really a question of what you like.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Either Lancer or PMags when your life depends on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, I think you will be fine with Okay Industries, D&H, Lancer L5AWM and MagPul PMAGs Gen 3.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Lancers are the toughest mags on the market imo.  The plastic bodies are somewhat flexible but durable. The molded in spring steel feed lips are very difficult to deform even if dropped loaded, and their wrap around design prevents spreading under tension and all but eliminates the possibility of the spine splitting.  I've used them side by side with magpul and usgi aluminum.  Never had one of their newer L3 AWM mags become unserviceable.  The only minor issue I've had is if dropped loaded base first, they will sometimes eject a round or 2.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Lancer is probably the toughest magazine made.  That used to be the biggest criteria on ar15.com when magazines were discussed.  Lancer won all the torture test.  Now other criteria has entered the spotlight such as “ bullet angle”??
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Old thread now, but thought of share my experience. I've had 4 lancer mags stop feeding reliably from standard reload drills in dusty ohio dirt, and in snow. That's not me dumping crap in them as a test (also did that though, lancer choked there too but kind of ridiculous to our crap into them). This happened just from dropping the empty mag to the ground, then picking them back up to reload them to set up the drill again. I've had no such issues with Magpul or Okay Industroes mags and those are all I buy and own anymore. The Lancers that choked were different year makes, batch numbers colors, and one was even replaced by lancer after my first complaint of feed issues from it. Although they have the toughest mag body design, reliable feeding is more important to me. Just my personal experience, didn't seem like an isolated incident with Lancer. Sold all 15 I owned off and replaced with Gen3 mags. Never any more issues in the same or worse conditions. Same for the Okay Ind.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This aligns with this statement :

"Speaking with one SOF unit team member, I was surprised to hear they were having issues with Lancer magazines not working well in dirty and dusty conditions. If you've read all three previous articles, you might have noticed my high praise for Lancer L5 Advanced Warfighter Magazines (5.56mm NATO). I used the same batch on all three Afghan deployments, over four-years.

I can only surmise that Lancer Systemsmust have changed something with their mags, or perhaps they got a batch of poor-quality-controlled ones. I originally received mine when the L5 AWM mag first came out, back in 2008ish. I've never had a problem with them, and still trust them to this day."

DEFENSE REVIEW
View Quote
Yeah I'm not sure. I used to hold Lancers above Pmags and certainly above aluminum USGI's. But after my experience with them, It's just a "no" from me. I don't fault anyone else for using them though. If yours run fine in whatever conditions you have, that's awesome and they're still the most durable. But feeding and consistency wise, Pmags are #1 and Okay Ind. USGI are #2. I had a SCAR and had to be picky on mags, Okay Ind. were the most consitent USGI I found
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The second from top cartridge in a loaded Lancer mag can slide forward and catch on the front edge of the magazine making it impossible to load into a closed bolt. Loaded into an open bolt the second shot will more often than not jam into the feed ramp and set back the bullet. So, if you load the Lancer and use immediately you'll probably be fine. If you load and bang around the mag for a few days you are taking a risk.

Compare this area of concern with Pmag and you will see that Magpul has the solution.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Lancer for me. They are all I stock and use anymore.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#13]
They performed poorly in USMC trials. I'm sure they'd work fine for 99% of what any of us will ever use a magazine for. And I can see the appeal of translucent mags. I own a few Lancers. But for a magazine you plan to use for duty gear, if you can have Gen M3 Pmags, I'd stick with Gen M3 Pmags.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I know that others here have said that this has never been an issue for them, but I personally have issues with seating 30-round Lancers on a closed bolt when they are fully loaded. Granted, I haven't used them as much as my PMAGs and GI mags, but I find that they will frequently "bounce off" the closed bolt without engaging the mag release. I have to cup the base of the magazine in my hand and forcibly seat it in order for it to catch - it usually fails to engage if I'm gripping the mag around the body when inserting it. I don't have this issue with PMAGs (which are designed to alleviate this) or GI mags, although GI mags require a little more effort to seat (leading to many people downloading them to 28 rounds). I'm not confident that I would properly seat a magazine when conducting a tactical reload in a stressful situation. Just for that reason alone, although I like the Lancer design, I won't use them for duty or HD. PMAGs are still my primary magazine for both roles.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Lancers will bind up with grit if you drop them in the dirt.

I use lancers exclusively for force on force because of the visual indicator. But I won’t use them after dropped until I have cleaned them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I can tell you my experience with them. I take 20 plus magazines to my schools which are Chris Costa and Ronin Tactics. Now before the arrows come in not all magazines work in all guns and i get it. My platforms are all Colt Lowers, Voltar Uppers, Noveske Barrels/Gas Blocks and Noveske Rails. Have always had much success with Magpul Gen 2 & 3, Colt, NHMTG, Okay Industry and Tango Down Gen 2. Why Change? Bought three Lancers and never test fired them. Went to school with them and Double Feeds , Failure to Feeds and they did not work for me. Sent them a kind note about the issue  and they told me in so many words Do not know who Chris Costa or Tu Lan at Ronin Tactics are you need to go to a better school where they teach you how to properly seat a magazine. Moreover, you live in a 30 round magazine state so F U we will not replace your AWM magazines...How did you get them anyway? . Happy to post the email if you want it. So I burned the ones I had and tossed them in the trash. Others have had much success but many police units I know will not use them because they fail to feed. All other magazines work in my guns but these. I can tell you what I have experienced. Many people have had the same issues with Magpul, NHMTG and Okay. I will never buy another Lancer and tell many people about my poor customer experience with Lancer. If you buy them good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Lancer told you it was Tu Lam's fault that the mags didn't function properly?

Yikes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread didn't go like I thought it would.

People are wising up
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Lancers are for people who post Instagram photos.

I haven't had good luck with them.  Polymer feed lips for me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I have about 20 smokes,/trans FDE/red/purple.
They are cool, and I like them, but I had a failure to feed in the first range trip in my purple Lancer in a proven rifle (6920) halfway through the mag.
Never an issue with same ammo (Wolf Gold) and other mags (USGI/Pmags) in the rifle.
It was a nosedive with pushed in bullet in case.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I have some Lancers in my stash, but admittedly, I have not used them yet. I'm surprised to hear that people are having issues with them. They have a reputation for being GTG.

Are there any common factors that might be at work here, like steel case ammo or something else? I have only read about good experiences with them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are my favorites
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have some Lancers in my stash, but admittedly, I have not used them yet. I'm surprised to hear that people are having issues with them. They have a reputation for being GTG.

Are there any common factors that might be at work here, like steel case ammo or something else? I have only read about good experiences with them.
View Quote
Internal tolerances are too tight IMO. Any amount of dust in there caused issues with brass case on several of mine. Two choked so bad the follower got stuck half way and the remaining rounds just rattled out. Had to take it apart to clean and lubricate to get it going again. This was standard reload drills, no ridiculous tourture tests.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#24]
As soon as it warms up here a little I need to try my lancer mags for issues if they have them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I own okays, Lancers and magpul gen 2s and 3s. They all work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#26]
This was my day. My old Lancers would have choked way before this. Today, the Okay mags perfromed the best. No feed issues with the Magpul, but it started to become very hard to hand load and required manually stripping it out of the lower. Sample size of one for the day, however. Okay's loaded and fed fine, and dropped free to the very end.

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I have worked with organizations that could buy their own mags for their M4s for duty/deployment use. Most of those dudes got Lancers.
Lancers used to be my favorite mag also .. love the look of the FDE ones.. also they take to a paint job very easily (you guys DO camo your mags no?)......

But I ve gone back to Pmags though what with the Gen3 Pmag being not as thick as the gen1/2s.. but in all fairness to Lancer those dudes were way better credentialed than I am.. so maybe they had their reasons.
The Lancers just always seemed a bit too tight to me. ( But i liked that their bodies were slim enough to fit into my tighter rigs)
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Old thread now, but thought of share my experience. I've had 4 lancer mags stop feeding reliably from standard reload drills in dusty ohio dirt, and in snow. That's not me dumping crap in them as a test (also did that though, lancer choked there too but kind of ridiculous to our crap into them). This happened just from dropping the empty mag to the ground, then picking them back up to reload them to set up the drill again. I've had no such issues with Magpul or Okay Industroes mags and those are all I buy and own anymore. The Lancers that choked were different year makes, batch numbers colors, and one was even replaced by lancer after my first complaint of feed issues from it. Although they have the toughest mag body design, reliable feeding is more important to me. Just my personal experience, didn't seem like an isolated incident with Lancer. Sold all 15 I owned off and replaced with Gen3 mags. Never any more issues in the same or worse conditions. Same for the Okay Ind.
View Quote
I noticed feed issued with Lancers when its cold.. Ran them at 10 F a few times..
This was when i ran mostly steel and it seems the steel case on the steel lips makes some extra friction..

Even so in summer time, I went thru many carbine courses runnign Lancers with steel rounds..
So its not a common problem..

Unless they are cold coaked at well under freezing.
At least in my experience.
PMags ran fine in those temps.. used to love'em the Lancers for their toughness.
..did not retire my lancers though.. still have lots of them.

My thicker winter rig is filled with PMags.. my tighter summer rig with the slimmer bodied Lancers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, post up the e-mail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought a large number of the original style Lancer L5 magazines because I fell for the hype that “they were the best mags in the world.”

Then, due to deficiencies discovered in the field, the company redesigned the entire magazine.

I’ve still got some in their unopened, original packaging, but all I use my stash of original Lancer L5s for is to shoot  targets at the range since I don’t trust them for self defense.

These days they sell their improved Advanced Warfighter magazines and “they are the best mags in the world” but I’ve heard that same song before.

I depend on Pmags and GI for my self defense needs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought a large number of the original style Lancer L5 magazines because I fell for the hype that “they were the best mags in the world.”

Then, due to deficiencies discovered in the field, the company redesigned the entire magazine.

I’ve still got some in their unopened, original packaging, but all I use my stash of original Lancer L5s for is to shoot  targets at the range since I don’t trust them for self defense.

These days they sell their improved Advanced Warfighter magazines and “they are the best mags in the world” but I’ve heard that same song before.

I depend on Pmags and GI for my self defense needs.
View Quote
I use my original Lancers for range mags.  I’ve never had issues but I use gen 3 PMags in my HD rifles.  I’ve got plenty of GI, PMag, and Lancers in my stash.  I’ve only had issues with CProducts 20 round SS mags and old USGI with black followers.  The CProducts were relegated to the trash at the range and the old USGI’s got Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Im author of DR article

I have the older L5 magazines Gen 1, 2s they are indestructible
the new mags translucent smoke would not trust. Aside from SF reports
I have a friend owned two ,one did not run well. Now that was a year ago

I hit up Lancer for some new mags to test so far don't have any.
Hopefully they made changes but until I got to test some I would not trust new Lancers

Older ones..awesome.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Just saw a post in one of the Facebook groups I am in where someone had a Gen 3 Pmag crack after being loaded in a rifle for 2.5 years. So there is that which Lancers don’t have that problem.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I've only had gen 1 pmags crack at the back of the rib.....

So Lancer's seem to be hit & miss? I have never used them. I was thinking about buying 2. I haven't bought an AR mag in 3 years. And that was a D60.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't stand the sound of them when you tap on them when empty, they sound like cheap plastic with that darn "ting".  The few I have are buried in a box under about 75 PMags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Im author of DR article

I have the older L5 magazines Gen 1, 2s they are indestructible
the new mags translucent smoke would not trust. Aside from SF reports
I have a friend owned two ,one did not run well. Now that was a year ago

I hit up Lancer for some new mags to test so far don't have any.
Hopefully they made changes but until I got to test some I would not trust new Lancers

Older ones..awesome.
View Quote
How do i tell the difference between generations? Are you saying theres three generations? Or more? And 1 and 2 are good to go? I have 38 smoke lancers and I can only see that I have two iterations.

I bought them from the same place using the same part numbers (232001), but there are obvious differences. Some of them are more brown in color, and the others are more grey.

The brownish ones have the date code below the "20" mark on the left side of the magazine. The grey ones have the date code above the "20" marking.

The date code on the brownish mags are from either 2011 or 2015, I have both. The date code on the grey ones are all 2019.

The followers appear to be the same, but the L5 marking is in a different spot.

Finally above the date code is a number, my brownish ones say 1, and my greyish smoke ones say either 3 or 4. Is that the generation version?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Finally above the date code is a number, my brownish ones say 1, and my greyish smoke ones say either 3 or 4. Is that the generation version?
View Quote
That type of number usually corresponds to a location (cavity, I think is the term) in the injection mold, like if their mold produces a half dozen magazine bodies at a time. That way, if magazines start showing defects in the molding process, they can identify which spot in the mold those magazine came from and see what needs to be fixed.

I don't think this counts as two different generations, but I noticed a difference between my first Lancer, a 2013 translucent smoke (on left), and a 2017 translucent FDE. Note how the vertical groove in the side of the magazine towards the front (on left in this view) is broken up into sections on the FDE mag, instead of being one continuous groove, which I'm guessing helps stiffen the sides of the magazine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Lancer's are GTG!!!

They are the 1st choice for many on this forum.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've only had gen 1 pmags crack at the back of the rib.....

So Lancer's seem to be hit & miss? I have never used them. I was thinking about buying 2. I haven't bought an AR mag in 3 years. And that was a D60.
View Quote
They weren't hit or miss for me. They all start to bind when any amount of debris was introduced, even accidentally during standard procedure. Pmag and USGI had significantly less follower binding across the board.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That type of number usually corresponds to a location (cavity, I think is the term) in the injection mold, like if their mold produces a half dozen magazine bodies at a time. That way, if magazines start showing defects in the molding process, they can identify which spot in the mold those magazine came from and see what needs to be fixed.

I don't think this counts as two different generations, but I noticed a difference between my first Lancer, a 2013 translucent smoke (on left), and a 2017 translucent FDE. Note how the vertical groove in the side of the magazine towards the front (on left in this view) is broken up into sections on the FDE mag, instead of being one continuous groove, which I'm guessing helps stiffen the sides of the magazine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Lancer_Comparison_JPG-1280105.JPG
View Quote
Here is a 2011, 2015, and 2019. These were all smoke grey with SKU 999000232001 when they were ordered, but they were ordered several years apart.

I also noticed the feed lips have a different finishes. As you've found, the vertical line is different on the newer magazines.

Anyway, I have not had any FTF with the old or new ones, though I haven't tried most of my new ones yet, they still sit in packaging.

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Sadly - Lancer AWM are only mags I ever had reliability issues with. Every time it was on the clock

I've come full circle back to USGI. Okay Surefeeds.

I still keep some Pmag m2 as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok, so I'm not thrilled with the real world reviews...I'll just buy 2 pmag 40's.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ok, so I'm not thrilled with the real world reviews...I'll just buy 2 pmag 40's.
View Quote
Plenty of us have zero issues with Lancers in the real world. YMMV. Rather than go off what the internet says, buy your self a couple of Lancer magazines to test yourself. They aren't cost prohibitive. Best research you can do is test them yourself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Plenty of us have zero issues with Lancers in the real world. YMMV. Rather than go off what the internet says, buy your self a couple of Lancer magazines to test yourself. They aren't cost prohibitive. Best research you can do is test them yourself.
View Quote
This, I’ve never had an issue with them in a variety of rifles and ammo combos.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sadly - Lancer AWM are only mags I ever had reliability issues with. Every time it was on the clock

I've come full circle back to USGI. Okay Surefeeds.

I still keep some Pmag m2 as well.  
View Quote
@fooboy

What kind of failures/issues did you have ?
I’ve had great luck with mine but if they have a weak spot I’d like to see if I can replicate it.

I am hoping it was maybe it’s your combination be it gas system etc etc.  Anyway I’d appreciate details if you would not mind.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I have had "0" issues with them. My rifles run what ever I have stuck in them. I prefer Lancer Warfighter and Military aluminum but have and used the Mags with no problems. All I have in the AR10 platform are Mags except for som L7 Lancers (which I really like but are hurting my budget). I still have some from the late 60's/early 70's, finish is completely gone and had to change the springs in some. They have all worked excellent for me. I have seen the Mags bust on the back spline and I have straightened a few bent feed lips.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I’ve been to two carbine classes, IME tells me Pmags, D&H, Lancer, Center, and Okay all worked great. I use a mix of them for HD and range use never had a problem.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I just ordered two translucent smoke mags today. Hopefully they work out for me.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top