Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2018 3:48:19 PM EDT
Just curious.  Compared to their 5.56 mag, is the cost of the plastic and a slightly bigger metal insert clip, really that much more?   Yet they want close to $50 for a translucent .308 mag.  In a world where you can get .308 PMag's for $15, and 5.56 translucent Lancer mags for about $20.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They are better quality than Pmags but not as good as LT mags. IMO
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just curious.  Compared to their 5.56 mag, is the cost of the plastic and a slightly bigger metal insert clip, really that much more?   Yet they want close to $50 for a translucent .308 mag.  In a world where you can get .308 PMag's for $15, and 5.56 translucent Lancer mags for about $20.  
View Quote
I’ve noticed the same thing. I’ve ran the 308 Pmags through numerous weapon platforms and have never had an issue. I’d stick with the pmags unless translucent is just something you want.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Magazines produced in lower quantities are going to be more expensive...
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d rather pay the $20 premium for 25-round windowed Pmags or $15 for 20-round Pmags... but then again, they’ve been nothing but perfect for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I had 308 pmags for a while then got some Lancers and now the pmags are collecting dust.  I'll admit I havent tried LT mags
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
ok what does LT stand for and where can you find them for sale?
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’ve noticed the same thing. I’ve ran the 308 Pmags through numerous weapon platforms and have never had an issue. I’d stick with the pmags unless translucent is just something you want.
View Quote
I do want the translucent, I like that feature.  I'm willing to pay a little more for it. But Lancer charging these kinds of prices for something with no apparent justifiable reason, just strikes me as an FU to the consumer, and a tough pill to swallow.  So... meanwhile I've bought a bunch of PMags, and 0 Lancer .308 mags.   Not really sure what business-genius is setting their price structure, but yea - as a major Lancer fan; they've succeeded in selling me 0 mags in .308 so far.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ok what does LT stand for and where can you find them for sale?
View Quote
LaRue Mag
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Agreed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed.
Ok so let me get this right,  guys are bitching about a 35 dollar Lancer mag , but not a 70 dollar LaRue mag ??

Fwiw , I run all lancers in my 308s

How much does anybody want to bet here that those LaRue magazines are just a rebranded c products or ASC magazine perhaps d&h??
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok so let me get this right,  guys are bitching about a 35 dollar Lancer mag , but not a 70 dollar LaRue mag ??

How much does anybody want to bet here that those LaRue magazines are just a rebranded c products or ASC magazine perhaps d&h??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed.

I wasn't bitching.

The larue mag lets me seat the bullet out longer.  I can load heavier projectiles without giving up as much case capacity. Which gives me more velocity.

The best part is that it feeds them properly.  No nosedive into the barrel extension.  The lancers worked far be for SAAMI spec, but not so much with anything approaching 2.85"

As far as larue mags being rebranded?

I've got two ASC mags I'd let go of for $5/each plus shipping.  Bar none, the shittiest mags I've used in a large frame AR.

Definitely not d&h mags, the bodies are completely different.

ETA: If all you're shooting is factory ammo, pmags should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wasn't bitching.

The larue mag lets me seat the bullet out longer.  I can load heavier projectiles without giving up as much case capacity. Which gives me more velocity.

The best part is that it feeds them properly.  No nosedive into the barrel extension.  The lancers worked far be for SAAMI spec, but not so much with anything approaching 2.85"

I've got two ASC mags I'd let go of for $5/each plus shipping.  Bar none, the shittiest mags I've used in a large frame AR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed.

I wasn't bitching.

Lighten up man , I did not mean you in particular were bitching I was just saying guys were bitching about the higher cost of the Lancer magazines in light of everybody was then jumping on the LaRue bandwagon. 70 bucks for a magazine is nuts , and I would almost bet the farm that LaRue is having his magazines made by somebody else.

Have you ever used or even held a Lancer 308 magazine? I'll have both 556 and 308 Lancer magazines the 308 Lancers are a total different animal the material that they use is much heavier and a lot firmer and the metal reinforcements are 360 Degrees around the top not just the feed lips if you see one in person you'll understand you've basically got the top cage part that is all metal-reinforced along with the polymer being a much heavier and thicker then there are 5.56 magazines.

Give them a try . They feed great
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lighten up man , I did not mean you in particular were bitching I was just saying guys were bitching about the higher cost of the Lancer magazines in light of everybody was then jumping on the LaRue bandwagon. 70 bucks for a magazine is nuts , and I would almost bet the farm that LaRue is having his magazines made by somebody else.

Have you ever used or even held a Lancer 308 magazine? I'll have both 556 and 308 Lancer magazines the 308 Lancers are a total different animal the material that they use is much heavier and a lot firmer and the metal reinforcements are 360 Degrees around the top not just the feed lips if you see one in person you'll understand you've basically got the top cage part that is all metal-reinforced along with the polymer being a much heavier and thicker then there are 5.56 magazines.

View Quote
I've used them.  I own two.  They work ok.  They did scar my brass until I polished the underside of the feed lips.

They fed fine, just like PMAGS.  They wouldn't feed any projectiles at 2.85".  The whole point for me to buy them was to load at longer lengths.  I could've bent the feed lips, but I didn't want to break the mag.

So I bought a LaRue mag and it does everything I need it to.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've used them.  I own two.  They work ok.  They did scar my brass until I polished the underside of the feed lips.

They fed fine, just like PMAGS.  They wouldn't feed any projectiles at 2.85".  The whole point for me to buy them was to load at longer lengths.  I could've bent the feed lips, but I didn't want to break the mag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand were your coming from ! I am not a re loader , and.for guys like you I can fully understand the need to have the maximum space available to seat your rounds,  again I am just a target shooter,  different needs for different end uses .

As far as the feed lips on the lancers scaring brass , just about any magazine will leave marks for the striping process when the round is chambered , but again I understand that the target - accuracy crowd is totally OCD about those kind of things , again different needs for different uses !!

If  the LaRue mags work best for your needs by all means stack them.deep , but 70 bucks a pop is crazy !! Once a mag gets to the 50 bucks and up price I usually pass . And as I said before I doubt highly larue has spent 6 figures to get the tooling needed to make 1 magazine , these things are normally farmed out to sub contractors .

I am a huge fan of magpul , but there 308 mags leave a lot to be desired . The Lancer 308s are just bomb proof .

Happy  shooting man !!!!

If we gun cranks aren't bitching about one thing or another that usually means we're at room temperature!!! Lol
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I love the look of the Lancers but my lower doesn't love them.  I've found pmags work best for me.  Haven't tried Larue mag but I'm hesitant to drop $80 when I'm not sure it would work in my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll take that bet. You name the dollar amount.

Go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 bucks says larue has those mags made to there specs by a out side vendor .

Unless you can show me proof of the stamping AND spring manufactering machines then the point is mute . And I'll bet another 20 bucks that LaRue will never post pics of said machinery because there a proprietary secret or some other such explanation.

I'll go be poor somewhere else with my over 100 Lancer 308 magazines.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll go be poor somewhere else with my over 100 Lancer 308 magazines.
View Quote
Pics or BS
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone try the new M118 Pmag?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#21]
The d and H retro-style mags work well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Molds to make mags aren't cheap and as someone else stated...it's all about volume as Lancer doesn't make nearly as many of the AR10 pattern mags.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:50:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Magazines produced in lower quantities are going to be more expensive...
View Quote
This.  AICS patterned mags range from ridiculous to still damned high
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top