Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2021 2:59:36 PM EDT
I found an old thread from 2019 discussing LMT enhanced bolt/BCGs, but rather than resurrect an old thread, I decided to post a specific question.
I'm building another lower that I will file as a Form 1 for an 8" Aero 300blk out. Im using a Seekins select adjustable gas block, H2 buffer, and Tubbs spring. Would I see benefits by going with the LMT enhanced BCG and bolt? This will become my "go-to" rifle.
If not, I've got a 16" Colt with fixed gas block running an H2 buffer and Tubbs spring as well as another Aero 10.5" in 556 with a fixed block.  The other 10.5" Aero is running an H3 and I'll be dropping in another Tubbs spring. I can switch these to AGBs as well, but I'd rather not. All of these are going to be tuned primarily for suppressed use, but I would really like to stick with fixed blocks on these if possible especially if it offsets the cost of moving to a better bolt setup.
I have a Colt bolt and BCG in the Colt, and a Toolcraft BCG and bolt in the 10.5" Aero.
Lastly, in terms of spare high quality bolts, what do you all prefer?
JP enterprises
BCM
Daniel Defense
LMT
Lantac
Aero
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I found an old thread from 2019 discussing LMT enhanced bolt/BCGs, but rather than resurrect an old thread, I decided to post a specific question.
I'm building another lower that I will file as a Form 1 for an 8" Aero 300blk out. Im using a Seekins select adjustable gas block, H2 buffer, and Tubbs spring. Would I see benefits by going with the LMT enhanced BCG and bolt? This will become my "go-to" rifle.
If not, I've got a 16" Colt with fixed gas block running an H2 buffer and Tubbs spring as well as another Aero 10.5" in 556 with a fixed block.  The other 10.5" Aero is running an H3 and I'll be dropping in another Tubbs spring. I can switch these to AGBs as well, but I'd rather not. All of these are going to be tuned primarily for suppressed use, but I would really like to stick with fixed blocks on these if possible especially if it offsets the cost of moving to a better bolt setup.
I have a Colt bolt and BCG in the Colt, and a Toolcraft BCG and bolt in the 10.5" Aero.
Lastly, in terms of spare high quality bolts, what do you all prefer?
JP enterprises
BCM
Daniel Defense
LMT
Lantac
Aero
View Quote

LMT E bolt has the best rep around. Highest cost too.  The JP enhanced bolt is also very well regarded, particularly for high pressure rounds (which doesn't really apply to .300blk) but it is made of a far superior steel and reinforced around the web. To my knowledge, BCM and DD just use mil spec bolts from standard Carpenter 158 steel with good QC. Nothing special. I'm not familiar with any Lantac offerings. I would place Aero in dead last compared to all those other options.

Off topic.... An 8" .300blk is gonna be your "go to" rifle? I guess that's one way to go about things. But no one who is serious about shooting would make that choice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Off topic.... An 8" .300blk is gonna be your "go to" rifle? I guess that's one way to go about things. But no one who is serious about shooting would make that choice.
View Quote

If "go to" for TEOTWAWKI you might be right.  But if "go to" for suppressed home defence it is a fine choice and one made by many who are serious about shooting
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m running a SRC bolt in my 300 Blk SBR and have been extremely happy with it.

It’s the third one from the bottom - S7 tool steel

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#5]
A quick Google search pulls up Sharps Rifle Company. Is that the correct vendor? Ive never heard of them. Where would you place them in relation to Toolcraft, Aero, or BCM? I imagine Toolcraft would be near the bottom?
Has any used an LMT enhanced BCG in a 300blk out pistol length barrel? Ive seen mention of issues in SBRs. I assumed those issues would be more substantial in a short 300blk out.
I'm curious about the "serious shooters" comment. What qualifies as a serious shooter? Ive kicked in some doors during my SWAT team years and I can say from my experience an 8" suppressed 300blk out is a much better tool for the job compared to our 10.5" 556 unsuppressed guns.
When I think "serious shooter" with an AR platform, I would really only consider 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. Normally I dont think "serious shooter" short of 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua on up to 50 cal.
This gun is my current play toy. So maybe "preferred AR" is more accurate? I want it to be 100% reliable. Ive got plenty of other systems. Im not worried about depending on an AR platform as a "do it all". I want it to be a fun and reliable small mobile rifle. If I need to make hits at 200 yards plus Ive got some pretty heavy hitters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
@KILLERB6
Were you sent a notification? I signed up for notifications for the LMT BCG and I didnt get anything? Or did it pop up on Discord?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$800
View Quote

Does it wash dishes and do laundry?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$800

For $800, it better do a whole lot more than that.

The carrier is much more of a draw for me.  It definitely takes the edge off when running quiet.  If I ever manage to shear a lug of a bolt, then I suppose I’ll feel differently about selling my left testicle for the magical $400 bolt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, I placed a backorder for the LMT bolt/BCG with Brownells 12/2019, and just received it last week.  To their credit, they honored the original price.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FWIW, I placed a backorder for the LMT bolt/BCG with Brownells 12/2019, and just received it last week.  To their credit, they honored the original price.
View Quote

Is this going into a new build or an existing build? I'd really appreciate you sharing your impressions if you are able to compare it to a standard BCG.
I'm grabbing a BCG for the 300 blackout and another BCG as a spare in addition to 2 or 3 spare bolts. Looks like Daniel Defense, BCM, and the other reputable brands are selling bolts for $70 -$80. Ill definitely grab one of the LMT enhanced carriers when I see one since they're pretty cheap. Maybe once I have some spare bolts I could keep an eye out for the LMT enhanced bolt. Its looking like this might be our last opportunity to ensure we have spare parts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is this going into a new build or an existing build? I'd really appreciate you sharing your impressions if you are able to compare it to a standard BCG.
View Quote

New build, so will not be able to compare to standard BCG.  Furthermore, the suppressor I plan to use is still in jail.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

New build, so will not be able to compare to standard BCG.  Furthermore, the suppressor I plan to use is still in jail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it 556 or 300 blackout? Are you using an adjustable gas block? Im debating moving all of my ARs to adjustable gas blocks. I can definitely see the draw to the LMT when a fixed gas block is being used and a gun is being suppressed. That increase in pressure and bolt cycling force seems like exactly what the LMT is designed for.
I'm using the Seekins select adjustable block for my 300 blackout so I can remove the rail and flip a switch if I want to shoot subs.
With 556, it seems like a standard adjustable gas block like the Aero adjustable gas block would be enough to tame the pressure and speed. I think the LMT could make shooting suppressed with the same setting that will cycle unsuppressed alot more pleasant. Still.. a Bootleg bolt carrier group allow for adjustment right through the ejection port and runs under $200.
I'm not criticizing anyone's purchase, I'm more trying to justify making the purchase myself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
All you need is the gas block unless you not one of the poor's.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All you need is the gas block unless you not one of the poor's.
View Quote

Are you saying there's no benefit to incorporating the other items if I've got adjustable gas blocks?
While I appreciate the claimed enhanced lifespan of the LMT enhanced bolt, at $250, thats the cost of 3 reputable mil-spec bolts. Now the JP enterprises is about $110 and claims dramatically increased life span and reliability in "high pressure applications". I think 556 qualifies as high pressure, but does 300blk out? Or are you out of the "high pressure" group with a tuned gas block? I do plan to load near max with H110 for 300blk out which should put me around 2450 fps. Im hoping to make these guns as reliable and synergistic as possible.  Ive got 3 Tubbs flat wire springs coming as well
Would anyone be willing to share their opinions on BCG in this thread?
I'm assuming LMT enhanced would be at least top 3, along with Bootleg, and Gemtech. What do you guys think??
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top