Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2020 12:36:49 PM EDT
Well thanks to spending the better part of the last week as a shut in I have managed to talk myself into the idea that I need an AR10. The LMT MWS has always grabbed my attention but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to handle or run one at all. The videos and reviews that I have been able to track down have only taken me so far. The rifle would predominately be used within 400 yards for target shooting, deer, and coyotes. Suppressing would definitely be in the cards along with NV uses Id love to hear from anyone running a set up like that. And of course, any pics to push me over the edge would be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They are great, but heavy.  If weight isn't an issue with you then get one and don't look back.  Just realize that if you add a suppressor and NV it's going to get real heavy real quick.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Im not too worried about weight, its not like Ill be humping this rig over much distance. Most of the shooting Im planning for this would be static.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I love mine and I don't think they are that heavy.  I haven't decided on what scope to put on it.  I am still shooting it with iron sights.  It is a superb platform that you will enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
A wonderful platform.
Some call it heavy, I’d remind those that it weighs about what an M1 Garand does.
It was carried all over Europe and the Pacific
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I loved mine LMT MWS...a bit gassy suppressed...

I now run a POF AR10.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well thanks to spending the better part of the last week as a shut in I have managed to talk myself into the idea that I need an AR10. The LMT MWS has always grabbed my attention but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to handle or run one at all. The videos and reviews that I have been able to track down have only taken me so far. The rifle would predominately be used within 400 yards for target shooting, deer, and coyotes. Suppressing would definitely be in the cards along with NV uses Id love to hear from anyone running a set up like that. And of course, any pics to push me over the edge would be awesome.
View Quote

LMT's are great guns if you know what you are getting into. They are Mil guns that are incredibly reliable and run a little harder than you average 308 AR. They are also a little heavier than your average 308 AR but unless you are patrolling with it at the ready or humping through the mountains hunting some retarded goat or something, that extra half a pound to a pound is not really going to make or break anything.

Something to keep in mind if you decide to grab an MWS and run it suppressed is that you really need to think about what can you are going to mount on the rifle.  If you grab a modern silencer that was designed to have minimal back pressure, you should not have any issues running or at most, a change to a heavier buffer should be all that's needed.

Ive had a good number of 308 gas guns and currently have an SR25 as well as a Scar, and honestly,  I think that i enjoy shooting the LMT the most as its the most flexible of the 3 and can be set as the shooter wants.  I like being able to run a 13.5, 308 and less than 2 minutes later, swap out the barrel and be off to the races.  As a stand alone, 308, The SR25 is lighter and shoots smoother but will never be a 6.5 without dropping thousands on a spare upper.  The scar is light and utilitarian.

This silencer combo works great

This Silencer combo was horrid.

With My SR25

In 6.5CM trim

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is boringly reliable and accurate. Thinking about switching to a LW 13.5” barrel but my 16” CL is so accurate I’m scared to switch. So far about 800 flawless rounds fired. It is heavy. For me it’s a bench gun. Don’t think it’d be a gun for patrolling the jungle.

As far as value I don’t think anything beats it. It’s basically a poor mans (if that) SR-25 at half the price.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Had mine for years now, and never had malfunction from it after a thousand or two rounds.

My only complaint is I want another one that is updated....I want the new MARS H lower with the 13.5" LW barrel inside a MLOK chassis.  That's a room clearing all the way to 1k type rifle given you put a 1-10x type optic on it, or use a secondary offset RDS site in conjunction with a 2.5-10x type optic.

A number of major militaries around the world have now adopted the platform.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I love the MWS.  Yeah, it is heavier than a SCAR.  But, they are extremely well built guns, made for military hard use.  

My 24 in 6.5 Creedmoor is wicked accurate.  I’ve only shot it to 1000 yards, but it is easy peasy, and I’m not some long range precision guy.

I liked my 6.5 so much I picked up a used 16 in .308 for $1500 at an auction a few months ago.  I love it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have three. 16/18/20 inch. Heavy!  Accurate. Reliable. And did I mention heavy??????
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Go for it! As other have said, they are heavy, especially after scope, bipod, etc.. I actually just recently sent my 16" CL barrel off to ADCO to have it chopped to 14", p&w a flash hider, and have the barrel dimpled. The gun feels much handier, should be a proper pig popper. Now I just have to decide if I want to put a 1-8 ATACR on it or try the Gen III Razor 1-10..

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LMT's are great guns if you know what you are getting into. They are Mil guns that are incredibly reliable and run a little harder than you average 308 AR. They are also a little heavier than your average 308 AR but unless you are patrolling with it at the ready or humping through the mountains hunting some retarded goat or something, that extra half a pound to a pound is not really going to make or break anything.

Something to keep in mind if you decide to grab an MWS and run it suppressed is that you really need to think about what can you are going to mount on the rifle.  If you grab a modern silencer that was designed to have minimal back pressure, you should not have any issues running or at most, a change to a heavier buffer should be all that's needed.

Ive had a good number of 308 gas guns and currently have an SR25 as well as a Scar, and honestly,  I think that i enjoy shooting the LMT the most as its the most flexible of the 3 and can be set as the shooter wants.  I like being able to run a 13.5, 308 and less than 2 minutes later, swap out the barrel and be off to the races.  As a stand alone, 308, The SR25 is lighter and shoots smoother but will never be a 6.5 without dropping thousands on a spare upper.  The scar is light and utilitarian.

https://i.ibb.co/gwf0VWQ/20181114-173228.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/jz8L79b/20171113-195935.jpg

With My SR25
https://i.ibb.co/kVLbK34/20191102-145439.jpg

In 6.5CM trim
https://i.ibb.co/XjGMDWS/20171130-140257.jpg

View Quote

Hey hey....Easy there. Heavy rifles and goat hunts are a thing...

Attachment Attached File

OP...I’ve gone through about every “battle rifle” on the market...and then even tried an SR-25. All of them lacked the flexibility I was looking for in a .308 (and .308 based cartridge) rifle. I got my MWS about 4 years ago and it’s checked every box. If you want to save weight you can get LW barrels and the MLOK upper. My rifle has been a sub MOA shooter with all three barrels I have (16” CL .308 / 20” CL .308 / 20” SS 6.5CM). While I don’t field swap setups, I fairly regularly go from a DMR setup to a battle rifle. Reliability has been 100% since I purchased it. I did go with a Geissele SSA-E as I was having issues wringing accuracy out of it at first, but that was on me as a shooter not the rifle. Buy with confidence...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hey hey....Easy there. Heavy rifles and goat hunts are a thing...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/4209E1BF-FE02-4CC2-AF67-1DAFFBF05785_jpe-1351531.JPG

OP...I’ve gone through about every “battle rifle” on the market...and then even tried an SR-25. All of them lacked the flexibility I was looking for in a .308 (and .308 based cartridge) rifle. I got my MWS about 4 years ago and it’s checked every box. If you want to save weight you can get LW barrels and the MLOK upper. My rifle has been a sub MOA shooter with all three barrels I have (16” CL .308 / 20” CL .308 / 20” SS 6.5CM). While I don’t field swap setups, I fairly regularly go from a DMR setup to a battle rifle. Reliability has been 100% since I purchased it. I did go with a Geissele SSA-E as I was having issues wringing accuracy out of it at first, but that was on me as a shooter not the rifle. Buy with confidence...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/B03FD208-F9A0-4AE5-8764-3A2076114B03_jpe-1351546.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/B87C6D56-2B1F-4903-A9C7-8C5A2D0A43EE_jpe-1351549.JPG
View Quote

LoL... I lost it.... Fucking goats...

Anyway,  While heavier,  as long as one is smart about how they are configuring their rifle, I think the latest version of the MWS with Light weight barrel and Mloc chassis are fine.  If configured for accuracy or longer ranges, the extra weight is not a bad thing,

if one is going to do gp carbine stuff, pick an optic that suits its its use, same thing if one is going to use it for shorter range.

My SR25 definitely feels handier than my MWS with 13.5, but not sure I would say that it feels twice the price better.

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
In the first picture is that a mini or RC2?

Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/gwf0VWQ/20181114-173228.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/jz8L79b/20171113-195935.jpg

With My SR25
https://i.ibb.co/kVLbK34/20191102-145439.jpg

In 6.5CM trim
https://i.ibb.co/XjGMDWS/20171130-140257.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LoL... I lost it.... Fucking goats...

Anyway,  While heavier,  as long as one is smart about how they are configuring their rifle, I think the latest version of the MWS with Light weight barrel and Mloc chassis are fine.  If configured for accuracy or longer ranges, the extra weight is not a bad thing,

if one is going to do gp carbine stuff, pick an optic that suits its its use, same thing if one is going to use it for shorter range.

My SR25 definitely feels handier than my MWS with 13.5, but not sure I would say that it feels twice the price better.

View Quote

That’s the problem... I didn’t dislike my SR...but it was expensive and I couldn’t do multiple things with it. That said, I have a Lunchbox SR-25 on the way when my number comes up. It’ll be a few years until all of the parts are released but it will get built into something.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Well you guys have fully pushed me over the edge. The upside to this whole COVID nightmare has been the endless overtime so I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Im loving the look of the MWSE but finding one is a chore at the moment.

In regards to optics I have been leaning towards LPVO options, most notably the Leupold MK6. Have any of you run a set up like that?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Get the Nightforce NX8. You’ll be disappointed with only 6x of magnification on the top end.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well you guys have fully pushed me over the edge. The upside to this whole COVID nightmare has been the endless overtime so I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Im loving the look of the MWSE but finding one is a chore at the moment.

In regards to optics I have been leaning towards LPVO options, most notably the Leupold MK6. Have any of you run a set up like that?
View Quote

There are several LPVOs that would work great on the LMT MWS platform IMHO. Among them are:

- Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x
- Leupold CQBSS 1-8x
- Nightforce ATACR 1-8x
- Nightforce NX8 1-8x

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There are several LPVOs that would work great on the LMT MWS platform IMHO. Among them are:

- Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x
- Leupold CQBSS 1-8x
- Nightforce ATACR 1-8x
- Nightforce NX8 1-8x

View Quote

Oooooooo, this is going to turn into an expensive set up. Both the CQBSS and there ATACR look like killer options for a rig like this. Ive been poring over options and love the look and utility of the MWSE but have also been getting pulled toward the MARS LM8. Have any of you seen note worthy performance differences between the two?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#20]
had an MWS, loved it, had to sell it. Cant add anything else that hasn't been said, it was a better shooter than I.
Went with a used POF Revolution when I got back into the AR10's, mostly because it was a steal ...
An affordable optic right now is the Trijicon 1-8 Accupower- it's been discontinued and replaced by the Credo, so they can be had new for around $850.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
had an MWS, loved it, had to sell it. Cant add anything else that hasn't been said, it was a better shooter than I.
Went with a used POF Revolution when I got back into the AR10's, mostly because it was a steal ...
An affordable optic right now is the Trijicon 1-8 Accupower- it's been discontinued and replaced by the Credo, so they can be had new for around $850.
View Quote

Yes good call on the accupower. I want to get one before they disappear for my 12.5” Grendel micro-SPR
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Well it turned into a productive Good Friday. I got lucky and found a relatively local seller with a lightly used single owner MWSE. It included a handful of mags, enough M80 ball to top them off, and fortunately the factory torque wrench for the barrel. This thing is a pig, I love it. Now on to optics and whatever other accessories I can convince myself to spend some cash on

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice!  I wish I could find one just like that somewhat local to me.  

Quoted:
Well it turned into a productive Good Friday. I got lucky and found a relatively local seller with a lightly used single owner MWSE. It included a handful of mags, enough M80 ball to top them off, and fortunately the factory torque wrench for the barrel. This thing is a pig, I love it. Now on to optics and whatever other accessories I can convince myself to spend some cash on

http://i.imgur.com/E69uykjl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q9SsKJ6l.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats man!  Good buy and you’ll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oooooooo, this is going to turn into an expensive set up. Both the CQBSS and there ATACR look like killer options for a rig like this. Ive been poring over options and love the look and utility of the MWSE but have also been getting pulled toward the MARS LM8. Have any of you seen note worthy performance differences between the two?
View Quote

Take a look at the vortex 1-10 razor, it checks a lot of boxes and I do believe they are just under $2K
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats,

If you are only shooting out to 400 yards, I recommend checking out the light weight 13.5. Going from a standard 16 inch barrel to a light 13.5 is going to shave a full pound off the front end of the gun,  its a pretty dramatic difference.

That weight savings almost completely pays off the weight penalty of something like a Leupold Mk6 1-6
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In the first picture is that a mini or RC2?

View Quote

Sandman K,

Great little can.  Very little back-pressure,  compared to my full size gemtech, while I am sure its louder at the muzzle, its sounds no different at the ear with foam ear plugs.  I would like to check out the FH end cap.

Big fan of DA
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine is the cqb battle rifle version which is a 13.5” with pinned lmt flash hider and MARS-H lower.

I love this rifle and have not had a single malfunction. I have shot both factory fmj and match as well as handloads.

168gr fgmm is around moa depending on how I’m shooting that day
168smk reloads are at just under .9” pretty consistently.

Mine is currently setup with a TA-11, tango down VFG, and peq15.  Very fun rifle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

CONGRATS!

I'm working on building one very similar.  The great thing about the LMT MWS platform is the flexibilty.  You can easily sell that upper and go with a lighter slick side or MLok version.  You can also easily change out the barrel to something shorter, or even a different caliber.

ENJOY!

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Get the Nightforce NX8. You’ll be disappointed with only 6x of magnification on the top end.
View Quote

A great scope, but don't look past the Trijicon Accupower 1-8.....fantastic scope, light weight and a real good eye box....I prefer it over my NX8

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#31]
To answer the OP question, one great rifle.  But it will pack on the pounds as you dress it up.  It is a toss up for me vs my SR25....I think I would take the MWS, as the versatility with barrel interchanges, you can have a different caliber in minutes.  

I have one of the original designs, with the quad rail MRP upper, looks like the new MLOK upper may be lighter, or looks that way....and while we are talking about the MLOK upper, I think this upper makes the rifle one of the best looking large frame ARs made today

I do like the chopped barrel in one of the pictures above

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I am in the same situation. The MWS looks nice, but I am also looking at Barrett's offering the REC10. How do they compare? I am not planning on running a can.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am in the same situation. The MWS looks nice, but I am also looking at Barrett's offering the REC10. How do they compare? I am not planning on running a can.
View Quote

Good rifle. Built by a military contractor. Little lighter than the mws not as modular.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Picked up a .308 defender today and super excited to shoot it tomorrow, put my Nightforce 2.5-20 on it. Anybody know where to pick up a 20" 6.5 barrel these days?
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Picked up a .308 defender today and super excited to shoot it tomorrow, put my Nightforce 2.5-20 on it. Anybody know where to pick up a 20" 6.5 barrel these days?
View Quote

Try V1 Tactical. Their prices are decent. Also keep an eye on Proven Arms and Outfitter. They did a 20% off a few years ago and I ordered my 6.5 barrel from them at that time. They had to order it (special order) but it did eventually come and I saved about $100 on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Try V1 Tactical. Their prices are decent. Also keep an eye on Proven Arms and Outfitter. They did a 20% off a few years ago and I ordered my 6.5 barrel from them at that time. They had to order it (special order) but it did eventually come and I saved about $100 on it.
View Quote

I ordered the parts from John at V1 last night to build a mws spec’d out just how I want it. He was great to work with.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I like mine and regularly use it.. Recently sprayed it with aervoe coyote tan. Actually looks coyote tan which is kinda hard color to hit IMO.. I’m running the new Viper Gen2 2-10x32 FFP MOA. Happy with the scope and the MWS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Spatten:
I love the MWS.  Yeah, it is heavier than a SCAR.  But, they are extremely well built guns, made for military hard use.  

My 24 in 6.5 Creedmoor is wicked accurate.  I’ve only shot it to 1000 yards, but it is easy peasy, and I’m not some long range precision guy.

https://i.imgur.com/6BVdzkF.jpg

I liked my 6.5 so much I picked up a used 16 in .308 for $1500 at an auction a few months ago.  I love it.
View Quote

Just picked up a 24" 6.5 barrel - what ammo has yours like so far?

And I'm thinking about getting into a tripod set up too...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I had an 18” MWS, loved it, sold it to pay some bills, really regret doing that.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top